Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Information regarding freemason sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bastiaan Lier

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2016 2:30 am    Post subject: Information regarding freemason sword         Reply with quote

Hi all!
I recently purchased a freemason sword in France from the M.C. Lilly company. However, I am wondering if anybody can tell me more about it? I added a few pictures. Additionally, I am pretty curious as to what you guys would estimate to be a fair value for the piece.
Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Bas

Attachment: 223.05 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 270.64 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 290.36 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 301.67 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 291.31 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 251.71 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 237.95 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 270.37 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 266.83 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 267.77 KB
[ Download ]
Terry Thompson

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Masonic swords are specific to an individual. As you can see, the original owner's name is on the blade. I don't know anything about the symbolism, but every emblem and image on the blade and hilt have some symbolic meaning and some can tell just by looking, the level mason and their function in the lodge.
But I also hear that the symbolic meanings and rank terms can vary a bit from lodge to lodge. And that your best bet, if you can determine what lodge it belongs to, is to contact that lodge (assuming they are still operational) and see if they have any information on the sword.
As for the value, there are several similar ones on Ebay right now from $150-$250. But once again, without understanding the symbolism or rank indicators, they may be completely different esoterically in value.
-Terry
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yep. These swords are available by the hundreds. $150-$250 is the typical asking price but if you can identify a particular sword and determine who originally owned it, you can track down the descendants and try to find someone willing to pay a premium for their family sword.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I replied elsewhere earlier today

Welcome aboard.

This is a Knights Templar Sir Knight's sword. (cross in a crown, skull&bones etc. Scottish Rite)

Value is really in the eye of the beholder with these society swords. That said, this is a sword in excellent condition. If it came with its original bag and case, the value would be more than those without. Full groupings of regalia sometimes sell the best, especially if the original owner was a prominent figure in history.

Ultimately, the best way to date these is by finding the original owner's information. The company remained active to 1953. This sword looks to have a 20th century etch and was actually likely made by a German firm, exported to the regalia company. I would figure the sword to be of the 1920-1930.

There are reproductions of these now, so buyers are almost as apt to buy the brand new swords. One can research past sales on Ebay and other sales points. Keep in mind that there are tens of thousands of these swords on the market, so condition is everything (a plus in your case) and other factors may bring a premium. Wholesale value is pretty minimal.

Cheers

GC
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jun, 2016 4:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Honestly. I doubt if I'd really call these these items "Swords" - rather "sword shaped costume pieces". I seriously doubt the manufacturers ever intended them to be used as weapons.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Information regarding freemason sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic