Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Proper way to clean a gambeson Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ben Kircher

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Proper way to clean a gambeson         Reply with quote

Hello all a question that I just came across. What is the best way to clean/wash your gambeson? I currently have a couple gambesons the one in question is a heavy canvas style that I have worn with my mail and is becoming heavily stained and has a bit of an odor. It's not a major problem at present but with the constant use and wear I'm looking to nip this problem soon. I know that gambeson will always be stained somewhat and am more or less wondering how to keep it fresh and keep it around as long as possible. Thanks for any future replies.
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Paul Ballantyne

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: vodka         Reply with quote

To kill the bacteria build up leave it out overnight on a frosty night or wrap it in a plastic bag and leave it in a chest freezer for a few days. Some HEMA folks recommend using a 50/50 mixture of water and vodka in a spray bottle and liberal spraying after they use it, again to kill the bacteria buildup.

A chainmail colleague recommend after I bought a hauberk, that I strip the transport oil of, and keep the hauberk in a bag ingrained with a 50/50 mixture of olive oil and tea tree oil to cover the smell.
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Add a cup of vinegar to the wash. If you use a machine dryer, tumble without heat on fluff. I takes longer, but will help keep the filling from compressing. Or you can hang it on a line on a windy day.
ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Tom King

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If made of preshrunk fabric and properly constructed you should have no problem machine washing a gambeson on cold and air drying. I've had no problem with the Lord of Battles 15th century gambeson I slum in.

fragrance free febreze fabric refresher works for the sweat smell and bacteria, or use heavy duty if you want to smell like fresh laundry on the field.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Proper way to clean a gambeson
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic