Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help needed identifying a percussion pistol Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Morten Pedersen

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Help needed identifying a percussion pistol         Reply with quote

Hi all,

Does someone know the origin of this pistol? .. is it french ? British?

It has iron mounts and a special lock.

Thanks

Attachment: 301.92 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 398.28 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 360.83 KB
[ Download ]
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed identifying a percussion pistol         Reply with quote

Morten Pedersen wrote:
Hi all,

Does someone know the origin of this pistol? .. is it french ? British?

It has iron mounts and a special lock.

Thanks

It is a Model 1859 Lorenz horse Pistol made in Austria. The barrel might be stamped on top with PIRKO which mean it was made in Wien by that company. The 864 is the year of manufacture minus the first digit. The lever on the outside of the lock is a hammer safety which is raised up in front of the hammer to keep it from contacting the cap on the nipple. The barrel is caliber .54 and I believe smooth bore. This one seems to be complete and in good shape except for the corrosion. The parts were blued except for the lock and barrel band. All components are steel.

It is believed that a few of these guns were imported by the North during the American Civil War but by the time this one was manufactured the supply of revolvers had caught up with demand so that is uncertain.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Morten Pedersen

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject: Thanks Lin         Reply with quote

Hi Lin,

Thanks a lot for the identification.. now i know what i have got :-)

It will be for sale pretty soon.. would it make sense to ask $500 for it ??

Thanks.

/Morten
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I cannot offer you any advice on what it should bring because I have no idea of the market for these guns. If $500 is what you would be happy with then I would start out a little higher and allow some room for negotiation. Other than that, I cannot help you.
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like old fittings on newer wood, but thats just a hunch based on the fact that the corrosion of the metal doesn't match what the wood would look like if the corrosion had happened when together.

I collect, but not professionally, try searching for similar items, they were pretty common so there should enough for sale to get some comparisons.

Griff

Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If the wood is new or an old replacement, then someone did an outstanding job of copying the original stock. If it is a replacement stock from an old gun then I doubt the value is diminished much, if at all, since this is a military piece rather than a custom made pistol. This pistol is not rare and would have more value if it was actually exported to the US during the Civil War. There is considerable doubt that any of these guns were bought by the Union although some Lorenz muskets were purchased. Years ago the first Civil War musket I held in my hands was a Lorenz musket.
Lin Robinson

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help needed identifying a percussion pistol
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic