Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Recommended maker for Baselard? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alec Cawdor

PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Recommended maker for Baselard?         Reply with quote

I am looking to add a Baselard to my Archery kit.
The style with the pronounced "I" handle as in the Royal Armouries in Leeds, UK.

As of right now, I am looking at 3 makers:
1. Tod's Stuff (Highest cost, from UK)
2. Fabrice Cognot (Middle cost, from FR)
3. Arma Bohemia (Lowest cost, from CZ)

Things to take into consideration: Historical Accuracy, Build Quality, functionality, feel, fitting, etc.... (Including sheath)

They all look amazing, so rather than buy them all (which would be amazing) I must widdle down to just one.
Any recommendations or input to help me decide?

I think both Mr. Todeschini and Mr. Cognot hand forge their blades and handles from one piece?
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can recommend all three. I just got a similar baselard from Arma bohemia, but it took quite some time. I got a nice red sheath with it. Tod might have one in stock. Fabrice has very historical construction, and is very professional. I've got.two daggers from him and two from Tod. You can't go wrong here, but Arma may take some time.
Philip Melhop

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Alec I can recommend either Tod or Fabrice. I have many items from Tod and they are all first rate..He is meticulous and down-right clever and the objects he produces reflect that. Fabrice works in a slightly different way, wanting to accurately reproduce an item in both apperance and method appropriate to the original. I had him make me a smallish baselard a few years ago and his attention to detail and method were outstanding. There is an old thread on myArmoury somewhere that details the process.

In short both are first rate craftsmen ( and darn nice people)each one doing something slightly different to produce what you require.
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a baselard from Arma Bohemia, and have been a patron of both Tod and Fabrice. All three vendors will provide you with historically accurate items, but, from a pure consistency and quality perspective, Tod and Fabrice are your best bet.

As I understand it, AB sources its items from various smiths, and their overall fit and finish can be variable. The baselard I have is of an atypical style that I got during one of their sales, along with a bollock dagger that is also of a less typical style (what can I say - I'm a fan of the oddballs and outliers Big Grin ).Both are decent pieces, but the fittings, fit and finish are a bit rough and the pommel plate on the baselard (not a true pommel, but a brass plate peened in the pommel position) a little loose. Both are still perfectly functional and good pieces (especially for the price), but might be a disappointment to the wrong buyer if they're looking for perfect and pristine rather than something in need of a little TLC. Since mine were on the "in stock" page, turn around was pretty quick - can't speak to the time it will take for a commissioned piece.

If you're only going to buy one, and want to make sure you have a top-notch piece that will serve you well for many years, then either Tod or Fabrice are your best bet, and likely the best overall value in the long run.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Recommended maker for Baselard?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic