Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Axe name? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Devin J.

PostPosted: Tue 08 Feb, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Axe name?         Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if this type of axe has a name?
The site said it was an egyptian battle axe, but is there a more specific name?

thanks
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 08 Feb, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Devin;

From one of my books: They call this an Epsilon Axe, at least that is how it is named by archeologists, I don't know if there is an ancien Egyptian name for it or what it is.

My reference pages 59 60 154 of Volume 1, THE ART OF WAR IN BIBLICAL LANDS, by Ygael Yadin, translated from the Hebrew by M. Pearlman, copyright 1963 Internationnal Publishing company Ltd. Jerusalem- Ramat-gan, Isreal.
Library of Congress Card number: 63-8720

Quote from page 59: The Epsilon axe was really a union of the short blade with the wide edge, which was already in use in Egypt and the triple tang device of the Mesopotamean, syrian, and Palestinian axe. In the latter type, the three tang are wedged into the haft and made secure by bibding; in the Egyptian axe, the tangs have holes through which they are fastened to the haft either by small nails or with cord, or by a combination of both, similar to their earlier method of attaching blade to haft.

Anyway that is what I found, maybe other with more expertise of that period of Egyptian arms can give you more information. Hope this helps.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Dominic Dellavalle

PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Did some looking around as well since the design is certainly interesting. All the references I was able to find also refer to it as an Epsilon Axe, although the couple of remarks I found point to the fact that it was named as such by archaeologists since the blade resembles the Greek letter Epsilon.

About all else I can provide is confirmation to what Jean has already posted in that the tangs were wedged into a groove in the haft then lashed off. Seems most references I found also note that the blade was cast of either bronze or copper.

One point of interest I found was that all of the references that depicted a hieroglyph of a warrior armed with one of these weapons showed them with a shield in the off-hand lending to the idea that it was designed to be used as a single handed weapon. I couldn't find any proposed dimensions for it however, that would aid in determining that.

That's about all I can provide as well. Unfortunately I am at best a poor student of Egyptian weaponry Happy

Dominic
Thomas Laible

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is a similar european weapon called Bardiche or Berdiche.
this is an axe from the 15th and 15th century, very common in Russia and Eastern Europe, but also in Sweden and Finland.

here is a pic
http://www.greenapple.com/~walls/berdiche.html

regards,,
Thomas
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Laible wrote:
There is a similar european weapon called Bardiche or Berdiche.
this is an axe from the 15th and 15th century, very common in Russia and Eastern Europe, but also in Sweden and Finland.

here is a pic
http://www.greenapple.com/~walls/berdiche.html

That's exactly how I was going to respond to the first post. But then, I know nothing of Egyptian weapons so this was a learning experience for me. I did find it interesting to note the similarity to the Berdiche.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are three Assyrian bronze axes from the British Museum.
Same basic type as the Egyptian, but different haft attachment.

They are not very big. 3-4 inches between the outer eyes. Small vicious hatchets. Assyrian bronze tomahawks...

Attachment: 34.5 KB
Assyrianaxes.jpg

Devin J.

PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dominic Dellavalle wrote:
All the references I was able to find also refer to it as an Epsilon Axe, although the couple of remarks I found point to the fact that it was named as such by archaeologists since the blade resembles the Greek letter Epsilon.

That is interesting, though, I'm writing a book that takes place in Greece and I'm considering it as the primary weapon for a race of Egyptian bull men (or Minotaurs) that set up a kingdom in Greece.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan;

There is a superficial resemblance between the Epsilon axe and the Berdiche but function seems different to me: With the Berdiche the upper point extends past the haft and can be used to thrust and is not an attachement point to the haft.
Only the lower half of the axe blade is usually attached to the haft.

With the Epsilon axe all three points are attached to the haft and that is their function.

Peter;

My book I refered to in my earlier reply shows these Assyrian axes, and the Egyptian one is clearly related but is a longer edged weapon as opposed to the almost "Bec de Corbin" armour piercing look of the Assyrian ones. (Some versions are even pointier than the examples shown. ) From the shape I would guess at a strong anti bronze helmet purpose to these.

No deep expertise on my part but the reference book quoted does seem very good to me.

My reference pages 59 60 154 of Volume 1, THE ART OF WAR IN BIBLICAL LANDS, by Ygael Yadin, translated from the Hebrew by M. Pearlman, copyright 1963 Internationnal Publishing company Ltd. Jerusalem- Ramat-gan, Isreal.
Library of Congress Card number: 63-8720

This is part of a set of two books that covers weapons and military architecture from the neolitic to late Babylonian periods and is a very good read with a lot of hand drawn illustrations of weapons and things like fortified city gates etc... Some photos also.

David R. Glier

PostPosted: Fri 11 Feb, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So it's a sword on a stick.

The egyptian axe and the assyrian/persian duck-billed axes are obviously two very different... um... ducks. It would be like comparing the alaskan ulu and californian punch-daggers. Wink The assyrain hatchets are deep-biting, heavy hitting little buggers. Just look at the heavy ribs. The epsilon axe has no such ridges, it's spread out, light in its construction. Probably meant for light cutting and heavy slashing. I would immagine that it behaves a lot like a Kopesh -less effective at cutting (try shoving that axe-haft through a cut) but it ought to prove easier to manufacture. I would also immagine that a Jeddart Staff would be a closer comparison to the function of this weapon than the bardiche.

Good luck trying to use this sucker with one hand. Happy
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 11 Feb, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David;

From an illustration in my book, page 60, it shows the Egyptian Epsilon next to the very pointy Duck-Bill Epsilon type: They are both tomahawks size.

The edge of the Egyptian one seems to be about 40% the total lenght.

Very much a long but shallow cutting edge, and the comparison to a "budget" Kopesh substitute in function sounds right to me.

The actual weight if the blade is reasonnably thin shouldn't be any more than a tomahawks.

The Egyption and Assyrian versions are similar shapes but streched in different a axis: One long and shallow the other narrow and pointy. Function is very different as you have observed.

I do agree with what you said but wanted to add a few qualifications. Oh yes, a sword on a stick is the perfect description of it.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Axe name?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic