Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Cuman Sabre Scabbard w/ Belt, 14th C. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Cuman Sabre Scabbard w/ Belt, 14th C.         Reply with quote

One of the items that recently occupied my time, was this custom scabbard.

The sabre itself is purely a re-enactment weapon, thus the customer's wish was for something relatively plain; the main effort was its historical correctness. This give me a chance to work without paying special attention on sanding, polishing and so, but to create an item literally "made by human hands". So, seeing all the flaws I made, just have in mind that much of them are intentional.

As the Cuman people influenced the history of Eastern and South-Eastern Europe for quite long time (from 11th to 14th C.), they left us an enormous cultural heritage, including vast number of artifacts of interest - scabbard and belt fittings. So, while researching, I had really great volume to choose from. Interestingly, this was also hard - almost as hard, as when working on something with quite limited information about.
Well, knowing customer's main period, I limited my effort to middle of 14th C. on the lands of modern-day Middle and Western Ukraine.
The main motiff of the decoration is a herring-bone pattern from actual artifact (the greenish plate right from the center)

It was used on each bronze plate of the belt, just applied with different working techniques.

The repousee of the buckle and tongue plates was particular interesting for me. Anyway, it was easier than I anticipated.

"Everyone who has the right to wear a long sword, has to remember that his sword is his soul,
and he has to separate from it when he separates from his life"
Tokugawa Ieyasu

Find my works on Facebook:
Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Of particular interest (at least for me) was the method for securing the rings for the carrying straps to the brackets of the scabbard - by riveting and is shown in the first volume of Anatoliy Kirpichnikov's book "Drevneruskoe oruzhie" ("Old-russian Weaponry").

For some more pictures not included in two posts, check Custom Scabbards album on my FB page.

"Everyone who has the right to wear a long sword, has to remember that his sword is his soul,
and he has to separate from it when he separates from his life"
Tokugawa Ieyasu

Find my works on Facebook:
Boris Bedrosov's Armoury

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Cuman Sabre Scabbard w/ Belt, 14th C.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic