Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Swiss longsword - collaboration with "The Printed Armoury"! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Lukas MG
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Swiss longsword - collaboration with "The Printed Armou         Reply with quote

Hello,

I have something cool for you. Mike Jia of "The Printed Armoury" is planning to make a beautiful set of Swiss longsword fittings. These will be cast in mild steel from a 3D-printed template.

Here's a link to Mike's website: https://printedarmoury.wordpress.com

These are the fittings:

I would be happy to make a blade to go with these fittings. Can be a XVIII(a) blade as pictured but the fittings would also work with a XIX or even a single-edged Swiss saber design.

This would be a chance to own one of my swords for a substantially more affordable price than I would charge were I to make the entire sword myself. For a XVIII blade, the price for the completed sword would be around 1700 Euros, other more complex blade designs would be a bit more pricey but probably below 2000 Euros in the end.

Mike told me he will have the prototypes in hands in a few weeks so this is not just a distant idea but could fast become real! What we need now is someone interested in the project to make this work.

Let me know if that someone might be you Wink

Cheers,
Lukas Mästle-Goer

Custom sword maker:

http://www.lukasmaestlegoer.com
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Swiss longsword - collaboration with "The Printed Armou         Reply with quote

A 3-D printed sword? That would be...Awesome! Surprised
“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Swiss longsword - collaboration with "The Printed A         Reply with quote

Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
A 3-D printed sword? That would be...Awesome! Surprised

The sword isn't 3D printed; a master of the fittings is printed, cleaned up, and sent to a foundry for making cast fittings. A blade, either stock or custom made, is then fit out with the metal parts. I'm pretty sure nobody has got around to 3D printing a sword blade, though an argument could be made that that's what one does with a CNC mill. I have seen that some people have made prop daggers for cosplay with 3D printers though. Presumably one could prototype casting masters for bronze weapons in such a manner. I know the Printed Armoury guy has scabbard fittings available as well that he's done the same thing with, IIRC.
Tyler Jordan

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know of a few super-high-end knife makers that are close to 3dprinting blades, using some of the new hotness powdered steels.

It shouldn't be too much longer.
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Thu 17 Mar, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tyler Jordan wrote:
I know of a few super-high-end knife makers that are close to 3dprinting blades, using some of the new hotness powdered steels.

It shouldn't be too much longer.

While in theory it should work just fine, I have to admit I don't really see the necessity, apart from possibly achieving some more complex forms. Frankly though for a very long time it's probably still going to be cheaper to just do it old-school by forging or stock removal... you don't have to 3d print *everything* IMO Wink
Michael Beeching

PostPosted: Thu 17 Mar, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Even if you got a homogenous steel structure from the sintering process, wouldn't you still require finishing grinding and heat-treatment to make the weapon reliable to use? I find it worth noting that these newmanufacturing techniques still require a lot of involvement to yield good results.
Lukas MG
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 17 Mar, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting discussion.

On a slightly related note, I have a client for this project. XVIII blade. It will be an interesting experience to work with these fittings I think.

Custom sword maker:

Lukas MG
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have started on the project.

The proportions of my rendering will be a bit different after the customer's requests (longer blade, slightly shorter fuller) but overall, it will have the same visual characteristics.

So far, the blade blank has been cut out, profiled and the fullers ground in. Grinding the fullers is always a nerve-wrecking process, even with a good set-up, because mistakes here can easily either ruin the blade completely or at least require a lot of clean-up by hand. Luckily, all went well.

Custom sword maker:

Lukas MG
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Starting to look like a sword blade...

Custom sword maker:

Guillaume Vauthier

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, a good beginning! That's a shame that it's finally a sword and not a swiss saber, I would have seen what it looked like...

But I'm sure it will be a very classy piece!
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those fittings are sa-weeeet . I bet you could throw them on a H/T blade and have a near, if not as good as , Albion. Hell...maybe better. You could put any grip you want on it. In the pics of the computer -generated sword, a half-wire grip would be off the hook cool. My only concern, and not just about this, is that we are 'tech-ing' ourselves into dumbness. There are only a few artists (I REFUSE to call them swordsmiths or anything else) who can create such beauty with raw materials, fire, hammer and anvil. But....I don't want the discussion to go down that track. Just my feelings on it. Otherwise, that's gonna be one beautiful sword. Big Grin .............McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Lukas MG
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 17 Sep, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Finished rough grinding the bevels on the longsword. I'm happy with how it turned out. Now the blade needs to be cleaned up on the belt sander and though there is still be a lot of material to me removed, it already starts to feel like a sword blade. The basic handling characteristics are already there... now they will be fine tuned.

Custom sword maker:

Lukas MG
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The blade is ready for heat treat. I'll be sending it out tomorrow.
It turned out well, unfortunately it was already almost dark outside when I got to take the pictures so no natural lighting. And my camera sucks, but that's old news. Really gotta upgrade...

So, let's hope the blade survives heat treat and comes back straight!

Custom sword maker:

Lukas MG
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The blade made it through heat treatment fine. There was some warping but that could be corrected. Here it is almost ground to final shape. Edges are just shy of sharp.

I also received the fittings from "The Printed Armoury". I must say, I'm impressed. There is one small casting flaw in the pommel and one or two tiny pits in the guard but that ties in well with the general handmade appearance of the sword. I do strive for clean lines and shapes but I'm no CNC-machine and small irregularities are part of the deal with handmade products Wink

The fittings come with a high glossy finish that I will bring down a bit to a nice satin shine. I don't mind that at all, much easier to bring a polish down than to clean up a rough casting finish.

I already fitted the pommel, next up is the guard. You can already get a sense of how the finished sword will look... (hint, it'll be gorgeous Wink )

Custom sword maker:

Michael Beeching

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gadzooks!

When does mass production begin?!! If everyone buys in, think of how affordable it could be!

On a more serious note, that's a beautiful weapon. I just don't have the space or the funds for anything of that caliber.

Big Grin
Ryan Renfro

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looking good, Lukas. I bet those fittings would go well in black. What's the weight for the guard and for the pommel?
Lukas MG
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 23 Nov, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, guys, glad you like it.

I haven't weighted the guard yet but I'm told it weighs about 300g. Pommel weight is 285g. The guard is quite heavy as is usually the case with ring hilts. But since the mass is so close to the hand, it's not a problem as far as the handling is concerned.

Custom sword maker:

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 23 Nov, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lukas MG wrote:
The guard is quite heavy as is usually the case with ring hilts.

Personal pet peeve here: calling these ring hilts drives me nuts. Ring hilts are Migration-era hilts with a ring on their pommels or possibly the "Irish" style with a ring pommel (a misnomer too, imo).

The sword in this topic is merely called a compound or complex-hilted longsword. If further description is necessary, it can be said to have two side rings, horizontally-recurved quillons and a writhen or "Astknauf" pommel.

Sorry for being finicky.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Lukas MG
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 24 Nov, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fair enough Wink
Custom sword maker:

Lukas MG
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 24 Dec, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Last bit of work:

The longsword blade is ground to final shape and sharpened, the hilt components fitted. Now comes the tedious process of hand polishing everything. But that will have to wait until after Christmas Wink

Enjoy and Merry Christmas!

Custom sword maker:

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Swiss longsword - collaboration with "The Printed Armoury"!
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: