Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Suontaka Viking Sword by Windlass Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Suontaka Viking Sword by Windlass         Reply with quote

I just received a catalog in the mail from Museum Replicas Limited (MRL).
Within is a Windlass version of the famous Suontaka Viking sword. Curiously, when checking the MRL website and generally searching online I found nothing. I assume it's a new offering.

It looks nice enough in the small picture from the catalog. The catalog description states that it has a copper plated: pommel, guard, and grip band. It weighs 3lbs 1oz, the 1085 blade is 30 3/4 by 1 3/4 inches, overall length 37 inches. It comes with a scabbard. MRl lists it at $325.

Sorry, no digital image to post here.

So, does any one know anything more about this iconic sword from Windlass?

Thanks, Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.
Juan Federico Gonzalez

PostPosted: Sat 25 Apr, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: MRL Suontaka Sword         Reply with quote

I don't know anything else, but! I have a picture of the catalog page

Attachment: 81.64 KB
Picture of MRL Catalog #135, Page 76 [ Download ]

One of the most horrible features of war is that all the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting.

George Orwell - Homage to Catalonia
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 25 Apr, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As was mentioned over at SBG, it has a very odd diamond-sectioned tip, not right for a Type X Viking sword. The grip is a little long for the type. It's hard to make out how good the carving is on the pommel and guard. I have seen worse versions of the Suontaka sword.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 25 Apr, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
As was mentioned over at SBG, it has a very odd diamond-sectioned tip, not right for a Type X Viking sword. The grip is a little long for the type. It's hard to make out how good the carving is on the pommel and guard. I have seen worse versions of the Suontaka sword.

Every Windlass Viking sword I've ever seen has had the same weird diamond tip. It seems like all their blade blanks have diamond sections, before having fullers ground in.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The running theory, from what I vaguely recall, is that the blade bevels are forged in first at the edges of the stock and then they hammer the fuller into the middle. Windlass doesn't mill their blades-- with the cost of labour in India it's cheaper for them to just hand-forge them out of 3/16" stock. This would explain why their swords typically are not any great shakes at distal taper.

For all that, the hilt fittings are not terrible. They could probably be saved and reapplied to a better quality blade without too much cost. Windlass does seem to be trying to angle for the more premium sword market lately, which is an interesting move especially with how they effectively removed their product from resale by other retailers.
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jan, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just received this sword from Kult of Athena, marked down to $292.50.
see:
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...king+Sword

Considering points already made, I like this piece.

It's quite attractive, albeit perhaps a bit heavy, see stats. I am no expert on swords from that period (more so on the medieval period), but from what I've seen of other examples of the Suontaka sword and given this one's price, well then, I'm glad to have it. And hey, my wife likes it.
In addition, the scabbard is surprisingly robust. As to precise historically accuracy, that is perhaps another question. The chap & locket look rather suspect.

Regards, Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Suontaka Viking Sword by Windlass
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic