Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > European riveted mail hauberk found in Japan. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Sun 27 Dec, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric S wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:
That is a fine example. Beautifully preserved.

Richard, I think it is in excellent condition and it does not look to be a worn out, I am surprised that there are no comments as to its possible age and or country of manufacture, to me it looks to be a 15th century German hauberk due to the dense collar and the look of the links. Any comments from forum members that are familiar with European mail????

I would agree with you and Richard that this is probably German, and a late 15th or early 16th century date doesn't seem unreasonable.

ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Mike Ruhala

PostPosted: Sun 27 Dec, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

3227.a includes a recipe for case hardening mail which will turn it dark and/or multi-colored. Other manuscripts depict mail in various colors along with colorful helmets that are generally accepted as having been painted. It's unlikely the mail was painted but the colors can be achieved by forming oxides at various temperatures and sealing them with baked-on oil. It's durable, I use it on my fencing weapons.
Richard Miller

PostPosted: Sun 27 Dec, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, Mart... As I said evidence is to be interpreted. Nothing either of has shown is conclusive and neither should be considered as such.
There are examples that could be explained by tarnish, as well as others that couldn't possibly be the result of oxidation.
Clearly, the images are drawn by the same hand (look at the faces of the knights) yet the difference in color of the mail is obvious. Shiny mail was meant to shine brightly and it still does. blackened mail was meant to be dark and it still is.
As far as some kind of "how to" manual for darkening armor, I would be surprised to see any armorer foolish enough to actually write down what would be a very closely guarded trick of his trade.
You asked for evidence... I provided it. Believe if you wish or don't. As an art student, I interpret art.

Attachment: 110.4 KB
otm3vadetail1.gif

Richard Miller

PostPosted: Sun 27 Dec, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shoot... I forgot to mention the comment from Mike R.
The differences in the color of mail, even back in the day, may have had little or nothing to do with the intended appearance of the armor. Hardening processes, metal impurities as well as chemical reaction to cleaning materials would, over time, certainly alter the appearance of the mail as well as the artistic depictions of it.
Thanks to Mart and Mike for great input.... keeps me thinking.
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Ruhala wrote:
3227.a includes a recipe for case hardening mail which will turn it dark and/or multi-colored. Other manuscripts depict mail in various colors along with colorful helmets that are generally accepted as having been painted. It's unlikely the mail was painted but the colors can be achieved by forming oxides at various temperatures and sealing them with baked-on oil. It's durable, I use it on my fencing weapons.
That is a much different process from what was used to make the hauberk shown here black. Japanese lacquer (urushi) is a tree sap which when properly cured becomes an extremely strong and adhesive waterproof coating, it is a resin like subtance that was used extensively in Japan to keep armor from rusting. All examples of Japanese mail that I have seen were lacquered with a few exceptions which were tinned/galvanized or that were made from brass which would not rust.
Mike Ruhala

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes. We were discussing something along these lines in another thread and it's interesting to see what appears to be evidence that at least some cultures did in fact value anti-rust coatings on mail and that they are reasonably durable in that application.
Richard Miller

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since this thread began, I've been having a bit of an epiphany regarding darkened armor during the high middle ages. Whenever I thought of darkened armor, my mind drifted to an image of Edward the Black Prince. There is of course the debate as to how Edward got his nickname as to whether it regarded his penchant for black armor, or his alleged nasty disposition or his conduct toward his defeated (commoner) foes.
As we discussed the topic, I began to look at the issue of darkened or blackened mail as one of utility before fashion. Then as now, fighting men wanted to survive long enough to have a reputation, or just plain survive the battle. Then however I started looking more toward the practical.
There is another thread that is delving a little bit into the cost of armor. Whether the figures being tossed around are accurate isn't what interests me, but it does remind me of how expensive armor was back in the day. I'm sure that good armor was a wise investment and that it was also wise to look after one's investment.
I'm now even more convinced that darkened or blackened mail was present in the middle ages, but perhaps not for the reasons I thought. I'm thinking now that perhaps, blackened mail wasn't so much to do with looks as with preserving the mail over time. Not a big epiphany, but another track I want to take as I research the matter.
Thanks, Mike.
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jan, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard Miller wrote:

I'm now even more convinced that darkened or blackened mail was present in the middle ages, but perhaps not for the reasons I thought. I'm thinking now that perhaps, blackened mail wasn't so much to do with looks as with preserving the mail over time. Not a big epiphany, but another track I want to take as I research the matter.
Thanks, Mike.
Richard, besides the Japanese mail that was lacquered, there is evidence that some Indian mail and plate armor was galvanized for the same reasons you mention. The Royal armories wrote up a short esay on this which I posted below.

Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jan, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In Europe, the documentary evidence shows the opposite was concluded. Armor was expensive, so it was worth paying men to clean, repair, and refurbish it.
ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Mike Ruhala

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually quite a bit of European plate armor is known to have been painted or blackened. Armor cleaning and polishing was a real service that was offered but it's also a consumptive act, every time it's done your armor is a little thinner. There is no practical way to "refurbish" the lost metal.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > European riveted mail hauberk found in Japan.
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: