Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sutton Hoo question for Paul Craddock. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Sutton Hoo question for Paul Craddock.         Reply with quote

First, hello Paul and welcome to myArmoury!

What can you tell us about these helmets pictured on your website?
Sutton Hoo replica

Coppergate replica

Any information you could give in terms of construction and availability would be greatly appreciated.

Paul's website for those interested: http://www.re-enactment.biz/index.html

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wonder if these are the (new?) Paul Chen replicas? http://www.888knivesrus.com shows a Coppergate helm replica in their Paul Chen section for $479.99. The helm in their website has a bright finish, not blackened, but the stand looks awfully similar. They used to have a Sutton Hoo replica, as well, though that seems to be gone, now.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hm, I think you're right. That Sutton Hoo helm sure looks like the one in the CASI printed ad on the back of Blade magazine. It's quite nice looking. Wonder how it's proportioned.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's some detail from a picture I took at the CAS booth at the Atlanta Blade Show...

ks

Attachment: 32.83 KB
SuttonHooHelm.jpg

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Those do look like the same helmets don't they. I'd like to see one first hand as I've always wanted a replica of that Sutton Hoo helmet.

Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Both of these helmets (or at least versions of them) are advertised at the 888KNIVESRUS.COM website. http://www.888knivesrus.com/category/allbrands.c_a_s__iberia/

They both look pretty nice. I am tempted to buy the Sutton Hoo helm. If I do I will at least provide pictures, and would be happy to let you inspect it close up if we can get together sometime.
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

CAS Iberia replica:

It looks remarkably similar to the one above except for the color. Of course, since they are both based on the same piece, they should look similar. The stands however give it away. And the Coppergate helmet. It is extremely unlikely that two separate companies would come out with the same two helmets with the same stands and plaques. I suppose it is possible, however ridiculously unlikely.
That being said, I would be tempted to buy it if I knew more about the construction. As it is, I think I'll wait until someone else does and writes a review Big Grin

“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For comparison, this is the replica made by the British Museum

“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some discrepancies in proportion are obvious when comparing the two repros. And I'm assuming that the Royal Armouries version is more accurate. Still, if the rest of the helm is well done it might be worth the price listed at 888Knives R Us.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 03 Dec, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I just ordered the Sutton Hoo helm. (from 888Knives-R-US)

I've been having a running e-mail exchange with a collector in the UK. He's writing a review of a particularly magnificent custom sword that he owns (and which I'd dearly love to have). I'm very excited about this particular review since it showcases the makers talents so well.

This particular collector also owns a custom replica of the Sutton Hoo helm. He's seen the Hanwei version and says that it compares favorably considering the price. He commented "I would have been tempted to buy it if I hadn't already owned mine".

He also states that the Coppergate helm is quite nice.

Hopefully we'll see before too long.

Benjamin McCracken

PostPosted: Fri 03 Dec, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can' t wait to see some pics when it arrives. Just thought I would post a pic of the real Sutton Hoo helmet.

Attachment: 39.04 KB
realsutton.jpg

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Fri 03 Dec, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Well I just ordered the Sutton Hoo helm.

I'm glad to hear that, Patrick, as this is one that I'm interested in. It's earlier in time period than what I typically collect, but I've always thought that I'd love to have a reproduction of this particular helm, and when I saw it on the back of Blade magazine, I was definately intrigued. Not that I need to say it, but definately post your impressions when you get it!
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Sat 04 Dec, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
Interesting pics,
I met this guy a couple of weeks ago who does predominantly roman work,but he said he had also done viking work in the past,
the prices you guys are stating are roughly the same i think,
definately worth a look,
the helms are handmade,cast/assembled, they looked very good for the outlay,
also definatey worth looking at are the scabbards,quality was excellent as was the sword hilts,
the chap will do hiltwork on user blades,but the stuff i saw sported mild steel blades,
The chap seemed very knowledgable about all his wares and very forthcoming with any Q;s asked,
Hope you guys find something of interest,

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fabrica

It should come up as Len Morgan/Armourer
Roman reconstruction Fabrica
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 04 Dec, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a quote from the collector I mentioned. He's been checking with a friend who owns one of these, and he compares it to his own custom helm by Dave Roper.

Quote:
Hi Patrick,
I spoke to my friend, John, he sees Paul Craddock every week, and he likes the Sutton Hoo. He has bought and paid for the Coppergate -- he hasn't got it yet though.

He can't tell you what guauge steel it is but he is the only other person to have a Sutton Hoo helmet by Dave Roper and he says that it is similar in weight. My helmet weighs about 4 and a half pounds and feels very comfortable on the head. My friend confirms that the plates are pressed he says that the bowl looks as though it beaten, too so it looks like a bargain.

Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Sat 04 Dec, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Patrick,
The above post wasnt meant to read as an overshoot of the link and thread about mercia/weyland,
i read the update on this one and the Manning Imperial thread and thought it might be of interest,probly more appropriate on the manning thread,
Len was actually on the stall where i'd chatted to the mercia people the year before and i as actually a little dissapointed not to see them at the same show this year,
No harm no foul i hope, Blush
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 04 Dec, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No worries Lee, it's all good Big Grin
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Sun 05 Dec, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, boy... I haven't even seen those Paul Chen reproductions of those two pieces! They're amazing for the price! The Deepeeka Sutton Hoo, which is much worse off in shape and without lining, stand, etc... Is retailed at $600!

Man, those are making me drool... I'm going to have to pump out some nice shields to sell pretty quick to get one of those (I'm particularly interested in the Coppergate Helmet, honestly). One worry... My head has a 22.5" circumference. Do any of you think that the helmet would be so big that even with an arming cap, for example, it would still be big for me? I would definitely want to use it for reeactment.

-Gregory-

My Flickr Galleries - Travel, Nature & Things
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 05 Dec, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregory J. Liebau wrote:
Oh, boy... I haven't even seen those Paul Chen reproductions of those two pieces! They're amazing for the price! The Deepeeka Sutton Hoo, which is much worse off in shape and without lining, stand, etc... Is retailed at $600!

Man, those are making me drool... I'm going to have to pump out some nice shields to sell pretty quick to get one of those (I'm particularly interested in the Coppergate Helmet, honestly). One worry... My head has a 22.5" circumference. Do any of you think that the helmet would be so big that even with an arming cap, for example, it would still be big for me? I would definitely want to use it for reeactment.

-Gregory-

Better too big than too small Big Grin It's always possible to pad the helmet. Shrinking your skull is much harder. Fortunately for me my head is a very average 24 inches in circumference. So it's not as big as some may think!

If I'm happy with the Sutton Hoo I may get the Coppergate also. I've always liked these earlier helmets.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 05 Dec, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Fortunately for me my head is a very average 24 inches in circumference. So it's not as big as some may think!

A 24" circumference is pretty huge. Mine is 23.5 and I'm considered having a ULH. (Unusually large head) Divide your circumference by pi (3.14159) and you'll get your hat size. Yours would be a 7 3/4: a rather large size for a hat.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Sun 05 Dec, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Fortunately for me my head is a very average 24 inches in circumference. So it's not as big as some may think!

A 24" circumference is pretty huge. Mine is 23.5 and I'm considered having a ULH. (Unusually large head) Divide your circumference by pi (3.14159) and you'll get your hat size. Yours would be a 7 3/4: a rather large size for a hat.

That seems right. I'm 16 years old, and my 22.5" seems about average for most guys, as far as I know. Every company from here to India just generally makes the "one size fits all" helmets, so, they're generally not as good of a fit for my "average" head than the "large" heads, simply because they're made for minorities as well, pity me...

There are a few other things I'll need to pick up before this sucker (A Conical Nasal Helmet, a large Viking Axe, A Viking/Saxon spear, some Bronze age weapons, more brass for makin' some weapons, and, umm... Lots of leather resources!)

-Gregory-

My Flickr Galleries - Travel, Nature & Things

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sutton Hoo question for Paul Craddock.
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: