Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Early Scottish Dirk... Fraser Clan Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 02 Oct, 2015 3:51 am    Post subject: Early Scottish Dirk... Fraser Clan         Reply with quote

Here is another dirk based on the earlier styles. It is based on a piece that went up for auction and had a bit of hullaballo about being associated with Simon Fraser.. the leader of the Fraser clan who was beheaded due to affiliations with the Jacobite risings.

I made an attempt to give the blade some historical steel character by folding up some 19th century spring material that I salvaged from a logging camp. Not exactly sure what it was.. but very high carbon and associated with an old location. Anyway... I cut it up and folded it for a 150 plus layer billet.

The description indicated that the grip was bog oak.. but seems unlikely due to the grain and the yellow wood peeking through damage. It was decided to go ahead with the bog oak theme however so we used my Lake Superior salvaged oak.

The spine had the Fraser clan war cry scratched brutally into the spine.. obviously not the work of the original maker. In fact... I wonder if the holes in the spine and the crudely scribed half-circles were from the former presence of a brass sleeve over the spine.

So.. I'm really enjoying the dirk and am looking forward to trying some with silver fittings and more elaborate blade engraving. It is very nice to be using high temp salts for heat treating these as it allows me to do the carving/engraving in the blade prior to heat treat.

http://www.bigrockforge.com
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Fri 02 Oct, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Early Scottish Dirk... Fraser Clan         Reply with quote

What does the inscription in Gaelic say on the blade's edge? I cannot catch the last word.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 02 Oct, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Fraser Dirk         Reply with quote

The inscription translates to "The Great Field" referring to the muster ground of the Fraser clan during the 17th and early 18th centuries. It was the battle cry of the clan at that time.
"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Aaron Hoard

PostPosted: Sat 03 Oct, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow - that's really a stunning piece. Love all the little details.
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 03 Oct, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Fraser Dirk         Reply with quote

GG Osborne wrote:
The inscription translates to "The Great Field" referring to the muster ground of the Fraser clan during the 17th and early 18th centuries. It was the battle cry of the clan at that time.

Thank you Glenn... I thought I had provided the translation.. But I see that I did not.

And thank you Aaron... One of my favorite commissions.

http://www.bigrockforge.com

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Early Scottish Dirk... Fraser Clan
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic