Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Tobias Capwell's 'Armour of the English Knight 1400-50' Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Neil Langley

PostPosted: Wed 07 Oct, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Tobias Capwell's 'Armour of the English Knight 1400-50'         Reply with quote

As my copy of the book arrived today - and I am sure many of you are/will be in the same happy boat too - I thought it deserved a new topic for reviews (and praise)!

I will not attempt any sort of a critique (I will leave that for others with more time and ability to do so) but I will congratulate Toby on what is a truly monumental work. anyway, here is a quick overview for anybody still thinking about taking the plunge and buying a copy.

The volume itself is a heavyweight - the paper and printing are excellent and at just over 300 pages it is a weighty tome in every respect. I have only had chance to dip into the book as yet but every page is both informative and lively in tone and the pictures are a joy. The book is divided into two main parts addressing armour form 1400 to 1430 and 1430 to 1450. After an initial introduction to the periods each part then begins a forensic analysis of the individual parts of armour - all backed up by a huge number of detailed illustrations (artwork, photographs of effigies, stained glass and line drawings). This is not a work for those seeking a quick overview of armour though, there are about ten pages focussing on sabatons alone for example. Suffice to say that it will take a while to fully appreciate the depth of information this book contains.

This is not an expensive book for its quality; it is a bargain and worth every penny. I can only guess at how pleased Dr Capwell must be at seeing the fruits of many years of labour realised. I think the only book on armour to be published in the near future that is better than this one will be called 'Armour of the English Knight 1450-1500'.

Neil.
Bruce Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 07 Oct, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My copy also arrived today.

It really is a most stupendous work: it's BIG, it looks just beautiful; the copious illustrations and photographs are fantastic but, most of all, Dr Capwell's text allows his exposition and elucidation to shine as he plots out the lines of argument he has chosen to follow, charting the evolution of an English form of armour. The depth of the academic hard graft that underpins this work is also hard to understate -- this is not a light-weight pamphlet; its is a very serious piece of work!

I can highly recommended for anyone with an interest in understanding the history and development of arms and armour.

It's also not often one gets to write knowing that one's comments and appreciation may also be directed to the author -- so, thank you Tobias!! It's very clear that this has been an immense labour of love for you but for the rest of us it's just a sublime treat. Congratulations: it's truly FABULOUS!

Big Grin
Mark Goble

PostPosted: Wed 07 Oct, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mine arrived today too, and I was very impressed.
A very high quality book, particularly for the price. Lots of detail, and a fantastic number of illustrations and photos.
I strongly recommend this book for anyone with an interest in armour of the period.
Looking forward to the next one!
Tom Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu 08 Oct, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bruce Wilson wrote:
My copy also arrived today.

It really is a most stupendous work: it's BIG, it looks just beautiful; the copious illustrations and photographs are fantastic but, most of all, Dr Capwell's text allows his exposition and elucidation to shine as he plots out the lines of argument he has chosen to follow, charting the evolution of an English form of armour. The depth of the academic hard graft that underpins this work is also hard to understate -- this is not a light-weight pamphlet; its is a very serious piece of work!

I can highly recommended for anyone with an interest in understanding the history and development of arms and armour.

It's also not often one gets to write knowing that one's comments and appreciation may also be directed to the author -- so, thank you Tobias!! It's very clear that this has been an immense labour of love for you but for the rest of us it's just a sublime treat. Congratulations: it's truly FABULOUS!

Big Grin

Hi Bruce- I note you're in London. Did you order yours through Thomas Del Mar? I meant to order a copy but didn't get round to it. I think I had better though!

Collector of original 16th-17th century European arms and armour. Would like to collect earlier, but budget doesn't allow- yet!
Neil Melville

PostPosted: Thu 08 Oct, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My copy arrived yesterday and I can only echo what has been written above. This is an astounding work of love and scholarship well worth twice the price. If you haven't ordered your copy yet go to Tom Del Mar (the publisher) immediately before the book is sold out. It is also available from Ken Trotman.
Neil

N Melville

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Tobias Capwell's 'Armour of the English Knight 1400-50'
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic