myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > rust removal/prevention Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 19 Feb, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice Alexi, even though I can't bring myself to do it to any of my Albions.

I think I agree with Stephen. It would look even better with the blade distressed in the same manner.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 19 Feb, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Very nice Alexi, even though I can't bring myself to do it to any of my Albions.

I think I agree with Stephen. It would look even better with the blade distressed in the same manner.

I cannot bring my self to do it to the blade Big Grin I just does not "feel" right. I have such veneration for the bade in general that I *never* touch them with bare hand. I know it may sound crazy, but I feel it is "disrespectful". I am exercising with all my swords every day and they see much use including cutting and making holes in the seeling Laughing Out Loud It is not that I do not want the blades to be damaged, but that I want them to be damaged through the appropriate way: use. The hilts...that is a different story.

I am hoping that with time the blades will darken a little bit naturally. Jeremy Krause let me have his A&A crusader dagger and I heavily ages the hilt components, but again I do not feel right touching the blade.

I have "aged" only two blades so far only because I felt that they were not done with the care that a good blade deserves: the MRL Coustelle dagger, and a valiant armoury sword.

Alexi
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 19 Feb, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

DON'T TRUST ALEXI!! HE WILL NOT REST UNTILL ALL OF YOUR SWORDS ARE MOUNDS OF MANGLED RUST!!!
Wink
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 19 Feb, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi;

One blade that looked a lot better with repeated lemon juice treatments and final burnishing was my Cold steel Laredo Bowie: The scratchy machine grind lines disappeared completely and the blade now looks a bit like that genuine antique Small Sword blade on an other recent topic. ( Phoenix Metal Creations Smallsword )

Using a smooth hardened steel spike and burnishing brings out the pattern as the pits stand out as darker gray.
( Also using cold blue to fill the pits brings out contrast. )

So, the patination contrasts with the polished.

So the options are to leave the patination almost alone: Just cleaning it and oiling it, removing a bit more of the patination to bring back a bit more of gray and highlights on corners or ridges or burnishing and cleaning leaving only the texture of corrosion ( Pitting )

Doing this a number of times until you get the right amount of pitting and the final look you want to get.

And if you go too far too often you can have maybe use a nice leather draw pouch in which you can store you sword in red powder form ........... LOL. Or Albion could sell sacs of rust with a nice picture of what the sword used to look like just to save time and effort.

Oh, these project would be perfect for Squire Line swords as doing this to a Museum line sword would be only an option for the very rich who could have both a pristine sword and an aged sword.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > rust removal/prevention
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: