Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Kudos to Kult of Athena. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Kudos to Kult of Athena.         Reply with quote

Just thought I would mention another good reason to praise the customer service by Kult of Athena: A month back or so I ordered some Spear Butt Caps from KoA and bought them using the usual " CART " process. Since shipping costs for buying just one Butt Cap is high I bought 3 at that time, the " CART " calculated the shipping cost and I proceeded with the purchase.

A few weeks later I received a $12 refund on shipping from Paypal originating from Kult of Athena and I e-mailed Ryan as I was curious about why a refund. ( Pleased but surprised ).

Well, the answer was that when buying more than one thing at one time, or multiple units of the same product the cart makes an estimate of the shipping cost automatically, but at times over estimates the costs of a consolidated shipment.

What Ryan and KoA does is that they try to catch over estimated shipping cost and refund what is over the " ACTUAL " shipping costs after they have shipped and know the exact amount.

QUOTE from the reply from Ryan:
Quote:
The cart tries to estimate shipping the best it can, but sometimes ordering a lot of small items will cause it to over estimate. When that happens we try to refund the difference.

Well I thought that Ryan deserved the " Kudos " and good P.R., and it would be of interest to others here on the "myArmoury" Forums.

Note the refund was credited on my creditcard statement that I just received in the mail today since I paid using the creditcard option at Paypal, I assume that if it had been by direct bank withdrawal the refund would have been cash in my Paypal account.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Kudos to Kult of Athena.         Reply with quote

I can echo your experience. Same thing happened to me too! They grouped a couple of my orders and shipped them together to save me shipping, then refund me! Kudo to Kult of Athena!

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Just thought I would mention another good reason to praise the customer service by Kult of Athena: A month back or so I ordered some Spear Butt Caps from KoA and bought them using the usual " CART " process. Since shipping costs for buying just one Butt Cap is high I bought 3 at that time, the " CART " calculated the shipping cost and I proceeded with the purchase.

A few weeks later I received a $12 refund on shipping from Paypal originating from Kult of Athena and I e-mailed Ryan as I was curious about why a refund. ( Pleased but surprised ).

Well, the answer was that when buying more than one thing at one time, or multiple units of the same product the cart makes an estimate of the shipping cost automatically, but at times over estimates the costs of a consolidated shipment.

What Ryan and KoA does is that they try to catch over estimated shipping cost and refund what is over the " ACTUAL " shipping costs after they have shipped and know the exact amount.

QUOTE from the reply from Ryan:
Quote:
The cart tries to estimate shipping the best it can, but sometimes ordering a lot of small items will cause it to over estimate. When that happens we try to refund the difference.

Well I thought that Ryan deserved the " Kudos " and good P.R., and it would be of interest to others here on the "myArmoury" Forums.

Note the refund was credited on my creditcard statement that I just received in the mail today since I paid using the creditcard option at Paypal, I assume that if it had been by direct bank withdrawal the refund would have been cash in my Paypal account.

Ancient Combat Association —http://www.acahk.org
Realistic Sparring Weapons — http://www.rsw.com.hk
Nightstalkers — http://www.nightstalkers.com.hk
Tom Carr

PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Never had anything but a good experiance with KOA!
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here, here Jean.

I might add that Ryan of KOA does a nice job of sharpening their non-sharp offerings upon request.

In general you can't go wrong with KOA. They inspect upon shipment and even ask for your specific instructions which they do follow-up on. Plus, I have never received a damaged piece from them, they pack each piece very well.

Their inventory is quite large for all types and price levels.

Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Hargis wrote:
Here, here Jean.

I might add that Ryan of KOA does a nice job of sharpening their non-sharp offerings upon request.

Jon

Yes I had a Del Tin 2140 sharpened by Ryan and it's a very well done narrow secondary bevel that I could make into an apple seed edge if i cared enough to do an evening's work on it.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...eval+Sword

Some other " after purchase sharpening " done by non professionals can be pretty awful, or DIY sharpening done on a rotating highly vibrating bench grinder can butcher an otherwise nice sword.

Some others, unmentioned, who offer a sharpening service for their blunt swords do an awful job of it. ( Rumours read here I don't want to repeat without first hand knowledge ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Brandon B

PostPosted: Wed 08 Apr, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Kult of Athena Customer Service         Reply with quote

I just wanted to let everyone know how great Kult of Athena is. I received a sword from Darksword armoury that had bent at the center of percussion while cutting fruit. The sword had a con-caved section on the blade there, and I was always worried about it. Sure enough it bent making me nervous as this was to be my primary cutting sword and it bent on cutting fruit.

Needless to say Ryan was helpful and contacted Darksword armoury. Darksword said he would warranty it, and Ryan offered a replacement or store credit. I took the store credit option and ordered a Del Tin DT2153. I can't wait to see it. It is the 15th century Type XV gothic sword. I love the way they put the fuller in the upper portion of the blade rather than having a hexagonal section like they had done before. I know it isn't as accurate as a copy this way, but I love it.

For all those who are debating purchasing through Kult of Athena, I hightly reccommend it.

May God grant us the wisdom to discover the right, the strength to choose it, and the will to make it endure. - First Knight
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My personal experience with KOA has been very similar.

Pre-shipping inspection, quality repacking, prompt shipment, honest billing practices and great customer service are the SOP for KOA! Happy

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

KoA is great, they have pictures of the actual items, great price compare to anywhere else. The first time I saw KoA's website I was dazzled by the massive amount of items they had, and few years later they brought it many other brand of swords. The greatest thing I like about KoA, is probably how they can also buy swords and other stuff from you, for a good price.
John Giles

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Kudos to Kult of Athena.         Reply with quote

All my dealings with Ryan and KoA have been excellent! Good to hear they're consistent with all their customers!
True Courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one.
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Sat 11 Apr, 2015 4:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Generally I have had good experiences with KOA but my most recent interaction with them has soured my opinion of them.

I ordered a dozen period buckles for for 3/4-inch straps for about $20 and $10 for shipping, but they turned out to be 1/2-inch buckles instead. So I asked for either a refund or exchange for 3/4-inch buckles.

KOA argued with me, stating that the product was not defective and would not offer either a refund or exhange. Their description of the product was defective, not the product.

I had to send them a photo of the buckles with a ruler to show them that 3/4-inch straps would not fit.

They said that a 3/4-inch strap would fit if I cut down the straps. You gotta be kidding me? Then it's not a buckle for a 3/4 inch strap, is it?

Then they told me that I had to pay for return postage and pay another $10 to have the new buckles shipped to me.

WTF? All of this for $20, after I've spent $2,000+ with KOA.

This is new low for KOA.

Mad
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Sat 11 Apr, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry Marinakis said:
Quote:
WTF? All of this for $20, after I've spent $2,000+ with KOA.

I would ask to speak to a manager type. This is clearly a bad business decision on their part.
As in life, sometimes a certain personality dynamic comes into play and stubbornness sets in with the agent you are negotiating with. A little power trip, so to speak.

Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sat 11 Apr, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: DT2153         Reply with quote

I just got my DT2153 and I absolutely love it. The casting mold must be getting a little old because the minor grooves from the cast are not as well defined as the one Nathan had, but the guard is straight proportionality and so is the pommel. It almost gives it a bit of a rustic look and I like it. The blade is super straight and the spine has a beautifully straight line down it. Looking down the blade it appears to be hammer forged (someone correct me if that isn't true). I love the fuller they decided to add to the blade. It gives it a lot more character. Not a lot of distal taper but well balanced and I don't know if this sword type is supposed to have a lot of distal taper in order to keep a thick spine at the tip. I absolutely love this sword and it is my absolute favorite type XV of any maker and yes I have handled an Albion Poiters.

Attachment: 202.97 KB
Hilt of my new Del Tin DT2153 [ Download ]

May God grant us the wisdom to discover the right, the strength to choose it, and the will to make it endure. - First Knight

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Kudos to Kult of Athena.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic