Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > putting together a "celtic" kit Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Wed 26 Aug, 2015 4:37 am    Post subject: putting together a "celtic" kit         Reply with quote

the ancient celts are not really my main area of interest, but lately i have had the occasion to join a local re-enactors group and it looks like a funny experience.

their supposed area of interest is the 3rd century BC, but judging from what i have seen, they have a fairly generic idea of what they are doing, and their potrayal is stereotipically limited to blu painted bodies, chequered trusers etc.

said that, it doesn't bother me too much, if i choose to join them it is purely for fun and i'm not concerded about a strict historical accuracy.

my goal is to re-construct the appearance of "celt" warrior similar to the famous " dying gaul" marble: drooping moustache, spiked hair, torque etc (i'm currently working on my facial hair, and i should be able to sport a suitable set of oustache Big Grin)

what do you suggest to put together a minimal soft kit and armament?

since i'm doing this not on a regular basis and as an amusement, i'm not willing to spend a lot of money, i'm based in Europe so i would prefer to deal with continental based vendors.

thanks for all the suggestions

cheers

Gabriel
Philip Dyer

PostPosted: Wed 26 Aug, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: putting together a "celtic" kit         Reply with quote

Gabriele Becattini wrote:
the ancient celts are not really my main area of interest, but lately i have had the occasion to join a local re-enactors group and it looks like a funny experience.

their supposed area of interest is the 3rd century BC, but judging from what i have seen, they have a fairly generic idea of what they are doing, and their potrayal is stereotipically limited to blu painted bodies, chequered trusers etc.

said that, it doesn't bother me too much, if i choose to join them it is purely for fun and i'm not concerded about a strict historical accuracy.

my goal is to re-construct the appearance of "celt" warrior similar to the famous " dying gaul" marble: drooping moustache, spiked hair, torque etc (i'm currently working on my facial hair, and i should be able to sport a suitable set of oustache Big Grin)

what do you suggest to put together a minimal soft kit and armament?

since i'm doing this not on a regular basis and as an amusement, i'm not willing to spend a lot of money, i'm based in Europe so i would prefer to deal with continental based vendors.

thanks for all the suggestions

cheers

Gabriel

Narrow it down. Celtic civilization at its hieght can cover anywhere from great Britian to Germany and they were a Confederacy of several different peoples. A Gaul wouldn't dress the same as a insular Celt, or Iberian Celt and so on along with the typical social status narrowing.
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Wed 26 Aug, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pretty much what Philip said. Though it certainly can be hard to nail down how clothing varied over time and place. Solid evidence can be hard to come by!

My advice, go to the Kelticos site and spend a couple days reading EVERYTHING. If those folks don't know something, nobody does.

http://www.kelticos.org/forum/index.php

And don't put *lime* in your hair unless you've read some stuff about it! Chalk should be safe.

Have fun!

Matthew
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Wed 26 Aug, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i have always followed your attitude, and i know that a serious reserch is always the best approach.

anyway, in this case, i'm completely outside my field and simply i do not have the time to research the entire period covered by the celtic civilization,

which period and culture corresponds the iconic image of spiked air, long moustache, chequered trusers, torque, longsword etc. etc.?

i'm sure is neither iberian of german, british or gaulish?

given the limited resources that i'm willing to invest, i'm not going to portray a chieftain or a noble, a mid-class warrior at best.

i have not planned to plaster my hair with lime, Matthew; but it sound funny, have you ever done it?

i'm sorry for my "newby" approach to the whole thing, i have a long standing interest in weaponry and usually a follow a more serious approach, but simply this time my goal is different,

not a deep research but rather a guideline to costuming and weaponry to put together something that won't too bad in the end.

Attachment: 51.77 KB
italericelts.jpg

Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 27 Aug, 2015 4:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You might find some ideas here: http://www.romanarmytalk.com/25-allies-a-enem...ssion.html
Joe A

PostPosted: Thu 27 Aug, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Keep in mind that the "Dying Gaul" is thought to portray a Gaul from Asia Minor (Modern Turkey) fighting against the Hellenistic Greeks of Pergamon circa 220 BC.

These are same Gauls in the New Testament Book of "Galatians" 200 hundred years later.

A testament, no pun intended, to their cultural vigor.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > putting together a "celtic" kit
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic