Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Are you an affiliated reenactor? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  

What kind of reenactment do you do
I am part of an organization that puts on programs for the public, or is otherwise professionally engaged
51%
 51%  [ 16 ]
I am a "professional reenactor" but not part of an organization
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
I am part of an organization, but we do not do programs or public appearances
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
I do my own thing, for my own satisfaction
29%
 29%  [ 9 ]
I just collect shiny things and I don't care about looking like some historic person
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 31

J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Are you an affiliated reenactor?         Reply with quote

OK Last poll at least for reenactment.

Now I wonder how many people here have an affiliation with a reenactment organization of some sort and how many just do their own thing.

I would like to know how many people are what you might say "Professional Reenactors" in other words those whose organization or groups put on programs for the public, whether or not they get paid. I would like to know even if you do it professionally but are not a group member; perhaps you look like Abraham Lincoln or Hildegard von Bingen, or Xerses. I would like to know if you are part of a group that is fairly structured but does not give presentations to the public. And I'd like to know if you are not part of a group but forging ahead, alone by choice or necessity and just making cool kits for your own satisfaction.

I'd also find it interesting to know what groups are out there doing this professionally, represented here on myArmoury. Some groups I have in mind would be Thegns of Mercia, Wulfheodenas, Legio XX, Regia Angolorum, Vikings N.A. and so on. Links to your organization would be nice!

If you are doing your own thing, I'd like to know why and what you do to meet your own satisfaction for your kit.

If your group doesn't do "professional engagements" let me know what you do.

Thank you!
Ian S LaSpina

Reading list: 5 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 12 Mar, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,

Although not as large as some of the organizations you listed, I participate with a group called La Belle Compagnie. We portray an English medieval household during the middle of the Hundred Years War. Our timeline in the past was the 1380s, but this year in honor of the 600th anniversary of the Battle of Agincourt, we will be portraying 1415.

We participate in several living history timeline events each year, mostly on the East Coast of the US. In fact our next show (and the biggest for us) will be in 2 weeks at an event called Military Through the Ages near Williamsburg, Virginia at Jamestown Settlement.

Here's a link to our website for those interested:
http://www.peelaffinity.net/

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Thu 12 Mar, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perfect Ian, thank you very much! It's very enlightening to see the variety of groups and a website like yours does help the relatively uninformed like me to learn about what you are doing. Hopefully as my children get older, we can travel around a bit and see groups like yours and learn even more. In the meantime it's very interesting for me to know about all the experience here people have doing these things, whether on a personal level or a very dedicated level like yours.

Nice website!
Quinn W.

PostPosted: Thu 12 Mar, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm just passing my third year as a professional interpreter for Camlann Medieval Village, a living history museum project located in Carnation, Washington. I say project because we started as a renaissance fair but have been trying very seriously to transition toward greater accuracy for the past six or seven years. We reenact rural village life in Southwestern England in the year 1376. It features some martial demonstrations but we try to emphasize everyday crafts. Seems very similar to what Ian is up to!
So far as I am aware, we are one of the only permanent interpreter sites in the USA for the medieval period, currently with about a dozen or so timber-framed structures housing our staff and volunteers.
We are mostly active during the summer but we do host year round classes and a restaurant featuring all period recipes.

We are constantly transitioning to greater and greater levels of accuracy (we only just got an anvil without a horn on it, and getting building permits for wattle and daub construction is a nightmare) but I'm very proud of the progress we continue to make!

You can learn more at www.camlann.org

I look forward to learning about all the other groups out there!

"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth"
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Fri 13 Mar, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey that sounds great Quinn. I actually went to school in Bellingham a while back and we get to the PNW sometimes to visit family and friends. I'll have to look you guys up when we get up there next. I would have had no idea you guys were there if you hadn't written. Thanks

Quote:
I look forward to learning about all the other groups out there!
Yeah me too.
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Fri 13 Mar, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also very interested how those who go it alone work at building and refining their kit, since this is pretty much going to be how I proceed for the foreseeable future. Certainly searches here and other fora and all across the web is helpful, but it seems that a lot of people use Manuscript Miniatures and Effigies and Brasses for ideas for some things. But there's a lot an independent person can miss when outside of a community: obvious mistakes or things that others have already figured out.

However, I suppose there is less stress involved when there's only one's own standards and guidelines to meet.
Ian S LaSpina

Reading list: 5 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 13 Mar, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Nicolaysen wrote:
Also very interested how those who go it alone work at building and refining their kit, since this is pretty much going to be how I proceed for the foreseeable future. Certainly searches here and other fora and all across the web is helpful, but it seems that a lot of people use Manuscript Miniatures and Effigies and Brasses for ideas for some things. But there's a lot an independent person can miss when outside of a community: obvious mistakes or things that others have already figured out.

However, I suppose there is less stress involved when there's only one's own standards and guidelines to meet.

Before I joined La Belle, I was pretty much doing this alone. You're right, resources like Effigies and Brasses and Manuscript Miniatures are outstanding, but without a trained eye or other people to bounce things off of you will inevitably miss a lot of information and potentially make poor choices. One thing I found to help me were internet community resources like this very site, like the Armour Archive, facebook groups dedicated to living history etc. That's where you can get the community feedback from people more experienced and more learned, and that can really make all the difference. But I will say that progress accelerated greatly when I joined an established group in person. That's not to say it can't be done without a professional organization, but there are more challenges to be faced when developing a living history level kit on your own.

As an aside, I will say that the US is heavily dominated by the SCA when it comes to medieval re-creation. So you will have to separate the advice you get from internet-based communities that are targeting SCA requirements from what you're after which sounds to me like you want an accurate living history portrayal. Just make sure you're up front about your goals and you will get the right advice.

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Fri 13 Mar, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Where is the "All of the above"?

Yeah, I am all of the above.

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I made some pretty bad choices in gathering a harness, and ended up selling them because they weren't fitting what I want. Now I only have enough to fit into some 1490 ish infantry guy.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Are you an affiliated reenactor?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic