Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Katana literally bounce of someone in plate armor no impact? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a WWII example of a katana plus scabbard incapacitating via a single blow to a helmeted head. Not a medieval/Renaissance helmet, though.
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
Here is a WWII example of a katana plus scabbard incapacitating via a single blow to a helmeted head. Not a medieval/Renaissance helmet, though.

M1 helmet, about 0.8-0.9mm thick (about 0.032" to 0.035", or 20 gauge). (Thickness varies over the helmet, since they're pressed from discs.)

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's probably thinner than all but the thinnest medieval/Renaissance helmets. The fronts of helmets for 15th- and 16th-century men-at-arms were often 3+mm. Stories of cleaving metal helmets - which appear from antiquity into the late 19th century if not later - possibly involve thin helmets in some cases.
Henrik Granlid

PostPosted: Wed 25 Feb, 2015 2:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I seem to recall extant Sallets having a thickness of 0.6 at the back of the skull, even with corrosion taken into account, there was a thread on it on here a few years ago.
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Wed 25 Feb, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Huh. That's pretty thin. An 1380s bascinet was supposedly 3.81mm on the top front and thinnest at the visor at 1.27mm. On the other hand, Alan Williams gives 1.5mm and 1.4mm for helmet skulls for two 16th-century harnesses of hardened steel. Do you have a link to that thread?
T. Kew

PostPosted: Wed 25 Feb, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

0.6mm seems absurdly thin for functional armour. One wonders if it might be a result of long term polishing during storage or the like.

The back isn't targeted as much as the front, but nonetheless, that's extremely light.

Luka Borscak wrote:
Strikes at the head and neck are showed everywhere and in any period, regardless of the helmets. So I guess the most reasonable conclusion is that such strikes were effective although they had no real chance of cutting through helmet. Similarly, strikes against lower arms and hands are also often effective even through plate defences. Sharp swords "stick" to metal surface better so it sounds logical that when striking helmet or arm armour you would still want your blade to be sharp even if you knew you can't cut through armour. I am sure someone is going to say that the swords are not designed to strike at metal armour, and I agree with that. But it is still useful to know what strikes at what places give you more chance to deal damage through armour when you are in a situation when you face an armoured foe with a sword in your hand.

Do they show up much with swords for systems we know are certainly for armoured fighting?

I practice early Liechtenauer, and blossfechten is full of cuts at the head or hands. Of course, the standard assumption is that your opponent is not wearing armour (beyond conventional clothing at the time, which certainly offers some protection against incidental edge contact).

When you go look at kampffechten, the only attacks at the head or hands with a sword are half-sworded thrusts, aiming for the palms, visor, or neck. Along with the mordschlag and so on - but notably a complete absence of simple blows being directed at the head.

Similarly in Fiore's art, the plays of sword in armour feature only thrusting attacks at the face and so on. No cuts to the head in armour.

If you have counterexamples that are specifically for the sword (the pollaxe is a different kettle of fish), specifically in armour (unarmoured fencing is also very different), and show cuts with the blade against the head, I'd be quite interested to see them.
Timo Nieminen

PostPosted: Wed 25 Feb, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Huh. That's pretty thin. An 1380s bascinet was supposedly 3.81mm on the top front and thinnest at the visor at 1.27mm. On the other hand, Alan Williams gives 1.5mm and 1.4mm for helmet skulls for two 16th-century harnesses of hardened steel. Do you have a link to that thread?

Sakakibara http://myArmoury.com/books/item.B004X7RIQ0.html says that about 1.5kg to 2kg is a good weight for a helmet skull (not counting neck protector, face, etc.). Assuming close-to-uniform thickness and comparing with the weight of an M1 helmet shell (2.3lb), that's about 1.2mm to 1.8mm thick. Steel-iron laminate. (Also says 2mm is good for torso armour.)

There were thinner Edo Period kabuto (and Sakakibara says "too light"), and thicker pre-Edo kabuto (in excess of 4mm). Don't need 4-5mm to keep out swords, or even arrows. That's musket-stopping armour (for not-too-much musket).

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

T. Kew wrote:
0.6mm seems absurdly thin for functional armour. One wonders if it might be a result of long term polishing during storage or the like.

The back isn't targeted as much as the front, but nonetheless, that's extremely light.

Luka Borscak wrote:
Strikes at the head and neck are showed everywhere and in any period, regardless of the helmets. So I guess the most reasonable conclusion is that such strikes were effective although they had no real chance of cutting through helmet. Similarly, strikes against lower arms and hands are also often effective even through plate defences. Sharp swords "stick" to metal surface better so it sounds logical that when striking helmet or arm armour you would still want your blade to be sharp even if you knew you can't cut through armour. I am sure someone is going to say that the swords are not designed to strike at metal armour, and I agree with that. But it is still useful to know what strikes at what places give you more chance to deal damage through armour when you are in a situation when you face an armoured foe with a sword in your hand.

Do they show up much with swords for systems we know are certainly for armoured fighting?

I practice early Liechtenauer, and blossfechten is full of cuts at the head or hands. Of course, the standard assumption is that your opponent is not wearing armour (beyond conventional clothing at the time, which certainly offers some protection against incidental edge contact).

When you go look at kampffechten, the only attacks at the head or hands with a sword are half-sworded thrusts, aiming for the palms, visor, or neck. Along with the mordschlag and so on - but notably a complete absence of simple blows being directed at the head.

Similarly in Fiore's art, the plays of sword in armour feature only thrusting attacks at the face and so on. No cuts to the head in armour.

If you have counterexamples that are specifically for the sword (the pollaxe is a different kettle of fish), specifically in armour (unarmoured fencing is also very different), and show cuts with the blade against the head, I'd be quite interested to see them.

I was thinking more of depictions of mass combat during battles where you don't really have enough time to wrestle with your opponent unless it's absolutely necessary and often you can't come close enough for halfswording thrusts to vulnerable places.
Timo Nieminen

PostPosted: Thu 05 Mar, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know about this passage of the Zohyo Monogatari (1646) via Stephen Turnbull's translation in the Osprey Ashigaru book: "Aim at the helmet, but if because the loan swords have dull blades you can only chop, aim at the enemy's hands and legs and you can cut at them." I've never known quite what to make of this quotation. It seems to imply that sharp swords should be able to cut helmets or at least stick to them enough to inflict blunt trauma.

The Turnbull translation:

If the enemy comes close, because you will be replaced by men with spears, divide up to right and left. Remove the ramrod, sheath the arquebus in the arquebus bag, and cross swords with them. Aim at the helmet, but if because the loan swords have dull blades you can only chop, aim at the enemy's hands and legs and you can cut at them.

The Cummins translation, http://myArmoury.com/books/item.0752490001.html

When you get very close to the enemy, separate into the right and left groups and begin fighting with spears. When you have used up everything in your satchel, draw the cleaning rod from the waist, replace it with the musket and then draw your sword, cutting the enemy by aiming at his hand or leg. If you hit the front of the enemy helmet rashly, a blunt sword will bend into a shape like that of the handle of a pot.

(i) "Used up everything in your satchel" means "run out of ammunition".
(ii) "Blunt" means "low quality", and is meant to be humorous language (according to a note in Cummins).
(iii) This is from a section with advice for musketeers. From a section for archers, "After that, draw anything you like, such as your sword or your Wakizashi short sword, and try to cut the hand or leg of the enemy. Never try to hit the front of the helmet with your weapon; if it is poor in quality, then it will have the edge nicked and it will not function anymore."

Turnbull gives the writing of the text as 1649, Cummins gives between 1657 and 1684. The translations are similar enough so that the section above appears to be the same text. I don't know if they translated the same original, or different versions of the original.

Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Huh. The Cummins translation makes more sense. It calls to mind what Fourquevaux wrote instructing targetiers to only thrust and target only the face, legs, or any other unarmored spot.
Timo Nieminen

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There's plenty of advice like that. Thrust in the gaps, cut where there is no armour. Thrust up under the tassets. A big feature in the anti-cavalry advice is "shoot the horse first" (bow or musket), "spear the horse first".
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Wisby skeletal analysis supports this. There were hundreds of wounds to different parts of the body but not a single one to the torso. It shows that body armor was either completely proof against the weapons used in that battle or that nobody ever aimed at the torso.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Henrik Granlid

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Or that the torso damage that did happen were to soft tissue in the gut?
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timo Nieminen wrote:
There's plenty of advice like that. Thrust in the gaps, cut where there is no armour. Thrust up under the tassets. A big feature in the anti-cavalry advice is "shoot the horse first" (bow or musket), "spear the horse first".

In European or Japanese texts? I know about the former, not so much in the latter. But you also get the occasional El Victorial (1448) or Delle ordinanze et battaglie (1583) in the European martial canon.
Timo Nieminen

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I mean there's plenty like that in the Cummins translation of Zohyo Monogatari.

Also notes that sometimes you want to shoot the rider first, so that the riderless horse will cause disruption in the enemy lines. (But usually you want to shoot the horse first.)

Some of the advice looks like it won't be found in any European manual:

Also, if you apply ground hot pepper from your arse to your tiptoe, it will prevent you from freezing. You can apply it onto your hands too, but if you carelessly rub your eyes with your hands, your eyeballs will be bloodshot and a lot of pain will follow.

I don't know whether that means chilli paste or chilli powder. Interesting from a food history perspective - chillies were common enough in Japan by the mid-17th century. Probably Mexico -> Philippines -> (Okinawa? ->) Japan.

Dan Howard

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Henrik Granlid wrote:
Or that the torso damage that did happen were to soft tissue in the gut?

Some. The rest must have magically missed the ribcage.

Dan Howard

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timo Nieminen wrote:
I don't know whether that means chilli paste or chilli powder. Interesting from a food history perspective - chillies were common enough in Japan by the mid-17th century. Probably Mexico -> Philippines -> (Okinawa? ->) Japan.

The text says "pepper", so why would it not have actually been pepper? They made it from their native pepper tree (Zanthoxylum piperitum). The Japanese also made chilli-like spices from plants such as wasabi and horseradish long before they started importing American chillies.

Timo Nieminen

PostPosted: Sat 07 Mar, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I only have the translation, not the original text, which should be clear. The 3 peppers have different names in Japanese: prickly ash pepper is sansho (from Chinese shan jiao, "mountain pepper", an alternative name for Sichuan pepper, more commonly called hua jiao, "flower pepper"; the Japanese variety is a different species of the same genus), chilli is bansho or togarashi, "foreign pepper", and Piper pepper is kosho, from Chinese hu jiao, "barbarian pepper". Those are the modern names; assuming those were in used in the 17th century, they should all be distinguishable in a Japanese text if the full name is used.

Cummins says in a note that it is chilli.

Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Mar, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really do not think they thought the torso armour was making them invincible. I am sure it was theoretically possible to find ways to deal with it. The reality is likely a combination of the most common types of weapons, likely singles handed weapons like spears and such that would not be AS effective. And the fact the guys fighting the Gotlanders were professional. Why would they bother hitting a place that is going to take far more work to accomplish he same goal where it would be easier. This was not their first rodeo, they knew the drill and the fact the peasants they were fighting had limited limb and facial protection seems to make aiming at torsos rather less useful. That said if people are not aiming at a vital area because the armour one could say it gave protection still just not only physical.

I'd not discount the sort tissue damage Dan. There have been people that have died of BFT with no skeletal damage at all. AS well in the Wisby finds there analysis may not have been able to see the more likely micro fractures that can be seen when force is distributed by something over a large area... like armour. I think this is still a topic that could use some good testing. I suspect it would be interesting. Even modern body armour includes BFT in its limitations.

RPM
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Sat 07 Mar, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I find the persistence of the legends about how armor "might stop a sword blow but you'd be so badly stunned you'd lose anyway" to be amazing. Common in the 90's, ok that's bad enough. Still brought up on forums like this in 2015? I find it really absurd.

As Mike Ruhala noted, the HEMA tournament scene has been going pretty strong since about 2008. These days we use pretty heavy (around 1.5kg) steel longswords at full speed, with as Mike noted, plenty of people amped up with adrenaline and 'swinging for the fences'. We use little more protection than a fencing mask, a padded coat, and some hard plastic gloves. Minor injuries aren't unusual but people knocked out of a fight by being 'stunned' by a sword cut are very rare - fights typically have to be stopped by the judge or they will keep going. In a typical tournament you might have to fight 25 or 30 bouts just to get through the pools, if you advance to the eliminations you may fight anywhere from 5 to 30 more. I've been in 9 of these tournaments so far since 2010 and I've never been knocked out of a fight by a hit. It's very rare that I've ever seen someone unable to fight due to being hit, other than some broken hands especially in the early days before we had good gloves (and people have continued to fight with broken hands without even knowing it) The only temporarily debilitating / knock out effects I remember seeing in longsword matches were from throws, kicks or punches, or pommel strikes.

You do get bruises and so on but you don't really notice those until after (when everyone takes photos of them to post to instagram...) The bottom line is blades don't make very good hammers.

You can see dozens of these tournaments on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzNcbnEvv9U

In the bohurt type fights they do in Central and Eastern Europe now days, which are in full plate armor, people continue to fight after being hit over and over again not only with steel swords but even maces and giant 6 - 7 foot poll axes. Poll axes can have an effect of course but as often as not the guys seem to ignore it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM7Tn-K2eGI

So I think the whole idea of the 'stunning blow' of a blade through armor that is the staple of so many persistent legends is just that, a legend. It should be kept in the world of LARP, computer games and anime where it came from - and this is true whether you are talking about a katana like in the OP or any other sword.

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Katana literally bounce of someone in plate armor no impact?
Page 4 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: