Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Katana literally bounce of someone in plate armor no impact? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Hector A.

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bash and abuse         Reply with quote

Lance Morris wrote:
Hello Guys,

I've abused, used, tested and broken many swords in my years!

Albion, Atrim, del tin, Tinker, BKS, Mark Morrow, Hanwei, Some are tough some less so..

Ive tried so hard to pierce breast plates...cut them..
Crack them.. mostly all I managed to do was dent them..

Its just physics, they're to close in hardness and a person just cannot generate enough power to give a debilitating blow to a breast plate.

I think the reason this issue is discussed so much is we generally feel Katana's are special... that swords are magic...in some way.

I for one would love to know which swords during you tests where toughest and what your opinion of Albion's are.
Jussi Ekholm

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to raise my hat to Timo, it's amazing to see how you are always participating these debates on multiple forums with solid reasoning Happy.

I've never understood the whole comparison (with the purpose of finding superior one) on different swordtypes, warriors etc. There is a huge variance within swords that can be called longswords, same for katana.

I don't really want to participate on this debate as I see it kinda fruitless. However as longsword sized katana was asked for before in this thread, so I'll post this (no this is not a typical katana, but very rare occurrance, possibly the donator of this sword practiced very special & peculiar type of swordsmaship [that's what the Japanese koshirae book said]. The sword was donated to Matsubara-Hachimangû in 1644. It's very long and almost straight. Unfortunately as this was in koshirae book, it lacks finer details about blade size.

Nagasa: 100,8 cm
Sori: 0,6 cm
Tsuka: 29,9 cm

So that could be an equivalent of c. 130 cm longsword.

Closest longsword to more common sized katana I found this on research work of Alen Lovric:

XIIIa.8 (Private collection)
Length overall: 99.7cm, Blade length: 77.4cm, Weight: 1,683g (3lb 11.4oz)

For comparison to that I could throw something like: http://www.toukenhataya.jp/goods/sword/sword_s1036.html

Blade length: 76,5 cm (not including habaki). Weight: 1,100g (2,4 lb)

Jussi Ekholm
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rim Andries wrote:
Luka Borscak wrote:
It's slower one handed, but much faster two handed because when used two handed it's a short, light hand and a half sword.

Short and light compared to what? Because if you compare it to a bastard sword of equal length it would most likely be a bit heavier. It also doesn't chance the fact that it is more "blade heavy". Which means it could be faster once it gains momentum. But that is not what I am seeing: as matter of fact the katana seems to really shine in the transition from one cut to a completely different cut. Quite the opposite of momentum. And isn't the grip too big to call it a hand and a half sword?

Sorry for the confusion, I don't use "hand and a half" for "bastard" grips, but longsword grips to differentiate them from true two handers. What I meant with this is that there are few swords in medieval europe meant to be handled with two hands mostly with blades as short as a "typical" katana. So katana would probably with its two handed/longsword grip and short blade be faster than most european swords meant to be used mostly with both hands. But yes, it would be slower than european hand and a half or bastard of comparable size. But all sword types from all cultures are diverse enough to make such comparisons futile.
Pieter B.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Are there any manuals of traditions of using the Katana on horseback? I know there are a few depictions of it in HEMA manuals but I do not know how often and how effective a sword would be against a guy on horseback wearing armor.
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pieter B. wrote:
Are there any manuals of traditions of using the Katana on horseback? I know there are a few depictions of it in HEMA manuals but I do not know how often and how effective a sword would be against a guy on horseback wearing armor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3a4phClkhM

Bow and lance were more important mounted weapons than the tachi (which would be the appropriate sword, rather than the katana). Most koryu Japanese armed martial arts are Edo Period, and older ones are mostly 16th century. Already by the 16th century, cavalry were decreasing in importance (the supply of horses didn't increase as fast as the size of armies, so the fraction of cavalry decreased). Edo martial arts are more focussed on unarmoured fighting - peacetime fighting, not wartime fighting on the battlefield. But Kage-ryu supposedly preserves some horseback tachi technique (don't know if they ever practice on horseback).

Easier to find mounted sword in non-Japanese manuals. Partly because there aren't so many Japanese manuals that have been published.
(1) Muye Dobo Tongji, a Korean manual, has sword on horseback. It draws on Chinese manuals, so you might find sword on horseback in the late Ming manuals. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muyedobotongji
(2) Western (European and American). Lots of manuals, because this was being taught in armed forces into the 20th century.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Existing sources vary regarding the effect of sword blows on plate armor. I suspect it depended and depends on the sword, wielder, and armor in question. Lots of sources, however, suggest that historical warriors both Western European and Japanese struck blows at armored foes, regardless of whether such blows often accomplished nothing. For example, according to Gutierre Díez de Games, Pero Niño made even single-handed sword strokes effective against opponents in full circa-1400 harness. And a 17th-century Japanese infantry manual apparently indicates that good swords could make effective cuts against helmets. On the other hand, Fourquevaux's 1548 manual describes men-at-mans as virtually invulnerable to the point that even targeting them with the couched heavy lance was a waste of time.
Timo Nieminen

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
And a 17th-century Japanese infantry manual apparently indicates that good swords could make effective cuts against helmets.

What manual? Is an English translation available?

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Luke Adams

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And a 17th-century Japanese infantry manual apparently indicates that good swords could make effective cuts against helmets.

I'm not sure if we're referencing the same helmets but a scholar of Japanese martial history once told me that, when the Mongolians (Yuan Dynasty) first invaded Japan during the reign of the Hojo clan, the Japanese army suffered a tremendous blow because they weren't suited to large scale combat. However, more important to this topic, the Japanese also had to overhaul their entire blade production system because their tachi (ref. the two handed saber at the time) was not able to cut through the Mongolian heavy leather armor (e.g. helmet). This is apparently why the katana became a thicker weapon with more cutting power and weight to it.

"God gives the nuts, but he does not crack them."
- German proverb
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know about this passage of the Zohyo Monogatari (1646) via Stephen Turnbull's translation in the Osprey Ashigaru book: "Aim at the helmet, but if because the loan swords have dull blades you can only chop, aim at the enemy's hands and legs and you can cut at them." I've never known quite what to make of this quotation. It seems to imply that sharp swords should be able to cut helmets or at least stick to them enough to inflict blunt trauma.
Timo Nieminen

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2015 1:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This book:
http://myArmoury.com/books/item.0752490001.html
might have an English translation.

(I haven't read it. Looks interesting.)

Pieter B.

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For example, according to Gutierre Díez de Games, Pero Niño made even single-handed sword strokes effective against opponents in full circa-1400 harness. And a 17th-century Japanese infantry manual apparently indicates that good swords could make effective cuts against helmets. On the other hand, Fourquevaux's 1548 manual describes men-at-mans as virtually invulnerable to the point that even targeting them with the couched heavy lance was a waste of time.

I've read the same things. De la Noue stating that against the armor of the late 16th century even lances achieved nothing. On the other hand in bem cavalgar (1434 I believe) Dom Duarte's mentions how he prefers to use horizontal and diagonal cuts against other horseman. With the added velocity of the horse and upper body movement these cuts might be a bit stronger than normal ones on foot. He makes no mention of where he strikes the opponent though.

And than there is the Italian account of the Battle of Fornovo

http://deremilitari.org/2013/04/alessandro-be...novo-1495/

Quote:
A great many French fell and perished at the first onrush, for they carry shorter javelins(read: Lance), wherefore they felt the first blows; however, the French seemed better suited to the sword, for as it is shorter, it is on that account considered better. Very many think that the French with a small band could have routed the Italians if they had dared advance freely

Quote:
All lay prone, just as they had fought, body to body, and most of the wounds were in their throats, since they had contended more eagerly than carefully in the enemy’s midst and almost no one knew for which of the zealous warriors the battle was going well.

Quote:
more than twenty-five hundred, unburied and swollen by the heat of the sun and the rain, were left to wild beasts. Almost all of these had a piercing wound in the throat or on the face, but a few had been lacerated by artillery.

It's all quite confusing Worried
Henrik Granlid

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not really.

If you stand eye to eye with a dummy and you start making horizontal and diagonal cutsat about shoulder height, you will target the face and neck quite a lot. Add in extra torque and speed and you will now cause wounds where it's hard to secure a rigid defense. Grand bascinets and kastenbrust helmets may be the only ones from that time to properly do so and not every soldier was armed in the latest fashion.
Pieter B.

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Henrik Granlid wrote:
Not really.

If you stand eye to eye with a dummy and you start making horizontal and diagonal cutsat about shoulder height, you will target the face and neck quite a lot. Add in extra torque and speed and you will now cause wounds where it's hard to secure a rigid defense. Grand bascinets and kastenbrust helmets may be the only ones from that time to properly do so and not every soldier was armed in the latest fashion.

What about an Armet or sallet with bevor?

An armet with throat protection as depicted on the Fresco of San Romano doesn't look like something you can cut through. Here is a French description of the same battle mentioned above.

Quote:
We had a great number of grooms and servants
with our waggons, who flocked about the Italian men-at-
arms, when they were dismounted, and knocked most of them
on the head. The greatest part of them had their hatchets
(which they cut their wood with) in their hands, and with
them they broke up their head-pieces, and then knocked out
their brains ; otherwise they could not easily have killed
them, they were so very well armed ; and to be sure there
were three or four of our men to attack one man-at-arms.
Jussi Ekholm

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Guess I can't keep my nose out of these... Happy

The thing is most collectors of European swords just classify all Japanese swords as one. At least that's how I see it. Similar scenario would be if I talked about European swords and would not make any difference between swords used during the First Crusade and Late Renaissance.

There needs to be more specific dating, are we talking about Japanese swords in 1300's, 1500's, 1700's? Swords, armor, warfare, everything evolved in Japan over the years.

Mongolian armor had little to do with why katana were like they were during certain periods. Mongol Invasions happened in 1274 and 1281. They had an impact to the design of tachi and Japanese military tactics at the time. They were anticipating 3rd invasion to follow the two earlier ones. Then there was 60 years of civil war during Nanbokuchô period 1334 - 1392, which had very large effect on the evolution of the Japanese sword. Early Muromachi represents the transitional stage from tachi to katana. By the time of Ônin war 1467-1477 (another civil war) katana had mostly replaced the tachi as warfare had evolved. Ônin war was the start of Sengoku jidai, where the whole country was in turmoil and wars were fought until Japan was unified, and final rebellions supressed in early 1600's. Then there was peacetime during Edo period which lasted until roughly 1850's.

So for the evolution of katana I think most interesting years are from early 1400's into early 1600's. There are considerable changes to the sword during these periods. Even though I must agree that if you are not into Japanese swords the differences might seem minor. Personally I try to focus my own collecting to Kotô (pre-1600) swords, while I can appreciate Shintô and later swords they don't have the same historical significance to myself.

There are many legends and stories surrounding the Japanese sword. It must be thought through what a person for example living in 1600's might have believed. Superstitions were still very strong at that time. There have been accounts in medieval Japan where someone has ruined a perfectly good sword because he tried to cut a stone lantern in half (feats like that are mentioned in legends).

Making the sword sharp is not rocket science and I believe it was common knowledge for every seasoned warrior. Of course during the heat of civil wars, lots of new recruits were brought in and they had never seen war, might not ever held a sword before. There is also a counter-saying to that (that swords were so dull they didn't cut), some sources mention that some dulled their swords a bit when going into battle. This was done to protect the sword as you knew you would be facing armored opponents, so you wouldn't want super scary sharp blade (which for example many of todays trick cutters and tameshigiri contestants use). Thin & very sharp edge is easier to damage than bit sturdier edge. Yet it does not make huge difference to performance.

As for helmet cutting, you might want to look into kabutowari, I think Obata Toshishiro has the modern record: http://www.shinkendo.com/kabuto.html Notice how the helmet is set at optimal height for this feat. I think usually when helmet cutting with Japanese swords is brought up people think anime-style helmet cutting. Happy https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=m0GjJyR6ZuA#t=737

Japanese armor has weak spots, like armors from other cultures. Nordic head of Tenshin shôden Katori shintô-ryû is a member of our nihonto group. At one of our meetings which focused on Sengoku jidai tanto he held a small demonstration for various ways of using tanto against armoured opponents of that period. For example even with yoroi-doshi (armor piercer) variant of the tanto you do not attack the strong portion head on, unless it's a desperate situation. You aim for the weak portion and pierce through there.

As for the Antony Cummins book, I would be bit cautious when looking into it. You can find much of his ninjutsu stuff online (his youtube channel for example), and I find him to be bit controversial person. Personally I do not like his representation style but I applaud his strong passion towards ninjutsu research.

Jussi Ekholm
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jussi Ekholm wrote:
As for helmet cutting, you might want to look into kabutowari, I think Obata Toshishiro has the modern record: http://www.shinkendo.com/kabuto.html Notice how the helmet is set at optimal height for this feat.

Yep. Here we have a 500 year old helmet placed at optimal height on a rigid surface and was cut by a master swordsman wielding a blade that was specifically made for the task using a technique that would never have been employed in battle and the best he could do was a "world record" 13cm cut that was so shallow that it wouldn't have scratched the scalp of someone who was wearing it.

Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Rim Andries

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jussi Ekholm wrote:
I have to raise my hat to Timo, it's amazing to see how you are always participating these debates on multiple forums with solid reasoning Happy.

I've never understood the whole comparison (with the purpose of finding superior one) on different swordtypes, warriors etc. There is a huge variance within swords that can be called longswords, same for katana.

I second that. On both accounts.

Timo is one clever dude. How did you come to know all this Timo? Did you sell a certain something to a certain someone? Wink

About the second statement: I just want to make it clear that, deep down inside - as a very close to the heart kinda thing- I do believe that one is better than the other. I also know - yes, KNOW as in using my brain instead my heart kinda thing- that this is absolute nonsense. Greatness in all things can be found all over the planet. It is not restricted to a certain time or place or people.

Having said that I keep coming back to the longsword versus katana debate, and while it can be exhausting, it can also be entertaining, thought provoking and informative. What I will not do is try to twist the facts in order to make my beloved longsword come out on top. Instead I try to listen to people, and learn as much as I can about these iconic swords.

I don't see anything wrong in that and it kind of pisses me off when people are like "oh no here we go again.."

Coming from a martial arts background, besides being geeky about history and nerdy about AD&D/RPG's, I have always been interested in swordsmanship. In particular the knightly arts of the swords. It was not until I was sixteen years old when I started to take this interest seriously. Not knowing what was out there, I ended up doing kenjutsu for two years. After all, medieval swords were crude and dumb, and sports fencing was not swordsmanship.

Then came HEMA. You can imagine my utter and complete surprise, mixed with both excitement and disappointment, when I found out that everything I knew was wrong: Historical european martial arts and the swords they employed were every bit as sophisticated as their asian counterpart. And the longsword, at least in many manuscripts, was at the heart of it. People had been lying to me and many others with me. Scholars, curators, teachers, experts... the lot of them. Embellishing what was in no way superior and discrediting anything west of that. Many will know I am not even exaggerating here.

And so a life long passion, and quest if you will, began. To become a modern day scholar on the sword. With the longsword, that was always my favorite even before I knew what it really was, as a central point of focus. But never really becoming free of that eastern shadow of my deluded past. And you know what? I kinda like it that way. I am even beginning to find a renewed respect for the asian arts, if I ever lost it to begin with.

So again I don't see anything wrong with comparing the katana and the longsword. Like many here already pointed out, the two are very similar. As matter of fact they have some much in common it is just plain eery sometimes. Whether you look at it from a cultural angle or a martial artist point of view... these swords are like brothers from another mother.

When the main goal of the debate is to simply learn about the swords, about their similarities and by extension differences, I think it is very much worth the trouble. And even if one is fueled by a biased opinion, like I am, going into this discussion with an open mind is still possible. And when that happens I can only see good things coming out of it. An honest exchange of legitimate knowledge is almost always productive and virtuous.

Finally, we have a saying in Dutch: the blood crawls where it cannot go...

I will leave you all with that.

Cheers!

Ps: My apologies if this comes off like a mindless rant (even after 4 editing sessions Confused ) but I seriously needed to get this off my chest.

Sir Dreamin'

Last edited by Rim Andries on Tue 24 Feb, 2015 12:22 pm; edited 4 times in total
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Strikes at the head and neck are showed everywhere and in any period, regardless of the helmets. So I guess the most reasonable conclusion is that such strikes were effective although they had no real chance of cutting through helmet. Similarly, strikes against lower arms and hands are also often effective even through plate defences. Sharp swords "stick" to metal surface better so it sounds logical that when striking helmet or arm armour you would still want your blade to be sharp even if you knew you can't cut through armour. I am sure someone is going to say that the swords are not designed to strike at metal armour, and I agree with that. But it is still useful to know what strikes at what places give you more chance to deal damage through armour when you are in a situation when you face an armoured foe with a sword in your hand.
Jussi Ekholm

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rim, it's very nice to see new faces in sword collecting circles. This isn't exactly a hobby that draws huge crowds into it. Happy

One of the reasons people tend to frown upon these is because they've been discussed over and over during the years. I remember how I lurked SFI, myArmoury & other places as a kid in early 2000's, those topics were already popular debates back then.

One thing about the X vs. Y debates is that it's usual that people participating the debates have focused on one side, and do not see the other side. I agree that my view is skewed towards Japanese swords as I've spent years collecting and researching them. Sure I would love to know more about European swords, but you can only research as much as you have time, and I'll spend my time researching Japanese swords, and if I look into European stuff it's mostly Viking age stuff. However I think I'm usually defending European swords in Japanese sword forums and vice versa.

Quote:
Then came HEMA. You can imagine my utter and complete surprise, mixed with both excitement and disappointment, when I found out that everything I knew was wrong: Historical european martial arts and the swords they employed were every bit as sophisticated as their asian counterpart. And the longsword, at least in many manuscripts, was at the heart of it. People had been lying to me and many others with me. Scholars, curators, teachers, experts... the lot of them. Embellishing what was in no way superior and discrediting anything west of that. Many will know I am not even exaggerating here.

It just depends who you put your trust on. Sure there are probably bunch on self titled "experts" but there are lots more genuine experts and once you put some time in research it becomes easier to see what is true and what is false. There is amazing amount of information available today, and you'll find more information than you can study in a lifetime.

Personally I don't see much resemblance in longsword and katana, it might be my own narrowminded way of thinking. Your average longsword is much larger than your average katana. More fitting comparison would be between small ôdachi and longsword. Ôdachi was just for battlefield use and after peacetime started it became useless.

Here is a comparison shot of my custom ôdachi and Windlass hand and half. They are both replicas so someone could say everything I'll find about comparing them is completely useless...

Both have bit over 90 cm blade length, both have overall length bit over 125 cm. Ôdachi weighs 1450 grams, while longsword weighs 1600 grams. Heavier longsword will be faster due to it's weight distribution but ôdachi will excel in cutting power.

If there would be specific measurements of longsword with c. 85 cm blade, I can provide specific measurements of my tachi which I believe to be from 1400's (not verified by shinsa though). Unfortunately it's quite worn down so it's not as it was when it was made. Of course there are plentiful of measurements of Japanese antiques throughout ages that can be found on various books and online sources.

Discussion and good mannered debate is always good and fun. Happy

Jussi Ekholm
Rim Andries

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for your warm welcome Jussi,

I am not exactly a new face: I have been a member on this forum and a HEMA student for almost ten years. It is however only since recently that I decided to join the conversation, so I guess you are right after all.

I applaud your attitude. I try to do the same: playing an advocate on both sides, if only to try and bring some reason to the more close minded fools out there. That is not to say that I am the best equipped person in terms of knowledge and expertise to do so.

On the odachi versus the katana when it comes to the longsword comparison: you are probably right. It is just that the katana is an icon. There is just no escaping it in that regard...I think. And for what it is worth: it is still a cut and thrust sword. Capable of being wielded with one or two hands. A versatile sidearm. Belonging to an equally iconic class of warriors. In that way it is just like the longsword, though I agree the odachi is closer in terms of dimension and weight.

Finally, my experience is that the appreciation of the longsword in modern times really is only a few decades old. Or young rather. Victorian times did a lot of damage. The katana on the other hand has been glorified for so many generations it is almost impossible for a novice to see what the sword is actually about, and how it was used. It certainly wasn't used to split the atom Wink

Anyway that is how I feel. I love the longsword. I love the katana too. I just love it a little bit less... Happy Glad to see you appreciate it though! It is just as deserving of a fan base as any other sword!

Sir Dreamin'

Last edited by Rim Andries on Tue 24 Feb, 2015 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ben Coomer

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

@ Rim, regarding the "oh no, not another katana vs. longsword debate."

Some of it comes from having to drag the longsword for "crowbar with a kind of an edge" to something worthy of study. Like you, I got interested in longswords from RPG's and the like, but in the early 90's there just wasn't much out there. You might find a wall hanger and try to adapt some fencing and stage fighting ideas into it. And then be really disappointed. Meanwhile, ninjas and samurai and katanas were everywhere, and very positively represented. If you could have a debate with someone about the merits of swords, the default was "samurai's rule, knights drool" and be lucky to get someone to acknowledge that a knight might be able to defeat a half-trained samurai, even when they know practically nothing about swords at all.*

Now things are different, and more honest conversations are happening. But you still get "Through my vast research (consisting of watching media and taking a few kendo classes), I have concluded that the katana is the BEST EVAH!!" and people thinking 10 lbs. is a reasonable weight for a longsword.

So some of us "old timers" have to try really hard to avoid flaming people over the issue because its almost an ingrained response to the bs we've had to deal with. That its starting to manifest as the other extreme is just depressing, if not surprising.

*True story.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Katana literally bounce of someone in plate armor no impact?
Page 3 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: