PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Later though perhaps relevant.
http://ceathairne.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/calo...rmies.html

http://www.seeknottheancestors.com/
Pieter B.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A small bit from Froissart

I read a lot more about Mutton and Pig than beef which is curious. I realize pigs are easy meat so to say but how does this work out for sheep? Do they compete with cattle on prime grass grounds?
Neal Matheson

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb, 2015 2:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It all depends on local conditions but generally you can get 5-6 ewes for every cow, Sheep can also graze on rougher pasture and cause far less compaction and damage to soil in the winter. You also get milk and wool from them. Mutton is phenomenal meat and really fatty.
Sheep theft was a serious crime in the Scottish Highlands.
Neal

Michael Curl

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb, 2015 5:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quick comment on the dog thing (about how dogs mean that their is a lot of meat around).

I am currently living in the country of Georgia and I can tell you that dogs here eat very little meat (as we would think of it), and they do not ever get meat served to them. They only eat out of the garbage, and are fed a mostly bread diet. I know how this sounds to Americans, but I assure you, our host family's dog is fed a 100% bread diet, and has to steal anything else it wants out of the garbage or kill it itself.

I can tell you that literally no Georgian I have ever met would even consider giving a piece of meat to a dog unless it had fallen on the floor or was spoiled. So only that kind of meat would be given to dogs.

And there are A LOT of dogs here, especially strays. So in order to have a high dog population all you need is a lot of garbage (medieval cities certainly had those) and... that's about it.

E Pluribus Unum
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"I am pretty sure that if you were peasant in the feudal system back then, you would've have been rather lucky to have meat even on occasion. Yes, they did have hunters and such people, but typically all the large game like deer were reserved for the nobles. Also tanning leather took a long time, and I'm assuming that the peasants who worked day and night in the fields didn't have the time needed to make many leather garments. Mostly their diet would have consisted of what little surplus of grain that they produced."

Not sure this is quite right as I said above. First off deer are hardly the only animals in forests. There are a number of smaller birds and other animals know medieval peasants ate. Second domesticated animal bones are fairly common in finds of trash pits in towns and villages. Goats, sheep and pigs, especially pigs are pretty low resources. You set them loose and they sort of do their own things. Salted pork and bacon. Assuming hunters only hunted deer is highly unlikely with so many critters. As far as we know peasants wore very little leather garments. Seems to have had pretty limited use for such things.

Why assume they had little surplus. This is the rise of the wealthy common farmer in the west. Clearly it was not so little for many of them as the period goes on.

As well why assume that they would first have to tan the leather to eat the animal? Why could they not have traded it to a tanner or someone with time and facilities for it? Seems like a pretty peripheral argument as to if peasants had meat.

EDIT-
Was doing something on this website and found this... something to look at some contemporary sources.
http://www.bl.uk/learning/langlit/booksforcoo...lfood.html

RPM

Last edited by Randall Moffett on Wed 04 Feb, 2015 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I read a lot more about Mutton and Pig than beef which is curious. I realize pigs are easy meat so to say but how does this work out for sheep? Do they compete with cattle on prime grass grounds?

Neal Matheson already answered your question very well, but I wanted to add that sheep may have a stronger herding instinct and there are other temperamental aspects that can make them easier to manage. As he said, four to six sheep eat roughly the same amount of food as one cow. Differences in grazing also means there are more types of habitat that sheep do well in, they tend to do well on rich or poor types of grass. "Compete" isn't quite the right word. In a lot of places they are run together on the same pasture land. Just like deer, bison, antelope, elk, moose, they all can live in the same general area, but specialize in the types of forage they prefer the most.

Meanwhile cattle require a lot more water as well and pigs can get sunburned easily, whereas sheep can be more vulnerable to predators. But cattle can do "beast of burden" things very well and pigs are easy keepers with appropriate shelter, so they all have niches. That's why we domesticated them all.

Nice website Neal by the way.

As far as dogs, if anyone is interested, the book I cited from earlier has a passage about dogs in the household, and how common they were for that time period. I can find it, but again, it is earlier than most of this discussion. Dogs were sometimes buried under doorways as perhaps reminders of their faithful guardianship. I thought Michael Curl's observations were very interesting. All a dog really needs is leftover trash I guess.
Neal Matheson

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks very much J. !
Pieter B.

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Neal Matheson wrote:
It all depends on local conditions but generally you can get 5-6 ewes for every cow, Sheep can also graze on rougher pasture and cause far less compaction and damage to soil in the winter. You also get milk and wool from them. Mutton is phenomenal meat and really fatty.

Ah alright thanks for the info. I completely forgot about the sheep milk which coupled with wool would yield a nice income for farmers with sub prime grazing lands. I suppose you could keep an odd two to five pigs in a pigsty close to home feeding on scraps or let them forage in the nearby woods, while also keeping sheep on your pasture or the common lands.

How long would it take for a sheep to grow to a weight where slaughter is an option? Or is slaughter only something reserved for old sheep?

You have a nice blog by the way, I have always been interested in the Irish side of the medieval period.

Quote:
Sheep theft was a serious crime in the Scottish Highlands.

Among other things involving sheep... Eek!
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
How long would it take for a sheep to grow to a weight where slaughter is an option? Or is slaughter only something reserved for old sheep?

Sheep reach sexual maturity close to one year old. Like all other ruminants, you don't need or want a 1-1 ratio of female to male sheep. In other words, one ram can breed 20-50 or more ewes, so you can affect your genetic pool quickly and efficiently. Sheep domestication has been around as long as human civilization, somewhere between 15,000 and 20,000 years. So any medieval farmer would have at least chosen some ram over another one for whatever reason. Very refined breeding would have been practiced in the nobility, with various phenotype trickling down. But farmers generally are pretty smart about their animals and using new tech at any time period, so I wouldn't discount some random smart fellow in the Highlands having a champion ram that everyone else wanted to use.

All this is to say is that there's a surplus of male sheep that aren't good enough for breeding, since sheep follow most mammals in having a very close 1-1 male and female birth. So after a year, some male sheep not good enough to be breeding quality will be marked for slaughter at some point down the road.

This is also how and why we have veal meat back then and today. What else can they use dairy bull calves for--not milk obviously, and they do not need the surplus males for breeding.

Slaughter weights vary from country to country today, and likely every place had a certain weight they desired. Generally there's about 1/3 of meat from an animal's total weight. I don't know what they might have weighed as an average back then. Some remnant or heritage breeds do not reach 100 lbs full grown, while today some sheep, rams for instance, can be over 250 lbs. But if the sheep of the middle ages topped out around 130 pounds or 59 kilos, 1/3 of that would be meat, the rest offal (much of which is probably used also for food), skin, blood and bones. Bone weight mostly.

The sheep probably gets to the top weight around 1.5- 2 years of age, but depending on the local custom could be slaughtered earlier or later. My first post in this thread mentioned younger animals being slaughtered. Perhaps in an earlier time or place of luxury, when you see ornate and rich weapons, they might have the luxury to slaughter younger animals. And feasts of course, the whole point of which is to show off and enjoy. Today, in certain cultural situations, very young lambs are slaughtered (such as easter or passover, etc) and these practices have their roots long ago.

However in a subsistence situation, it's better to hold on to the animal as long as you can for those other, "renewable" benefits such as wool, milk, draft use, breeding. So actually for most people, if an animal will be in good health for five years or more (sheep today can live 5-12 years, cattle as long as 15 with not much loss), any one would be reluctant to kill the golden goose, so to speak. But here I am still thinking that unless there is a real reason to have the surplus males, they would have had slaughtered them before 5 years, otherwise they are taking away grass from the ewes and lambs, which are what keep a farmer in business, or at least living.

Cattle have a slightly earlier sexual maturity, but a different gestation schedule and take longer to get to slaughter weight. Cattle back then would have been lighter than today also, but some breeds have their origins in this time period anyhow.

More than you needed or wanted to know, certainly.
Adam Rose

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know how much NZ sheep farming has in common with the middle ages, but it's normal for wool producers to castrate the male lambs very young, and keep or slaughter them a year later based on the following year's lambs - the male sheep still have perfectly good wool so you can keep more of them in order to fully utilize your grazing for maximum wool after a bad lamb season.

But if they're raised primarily for meat they normally get slaughtered earlier (less than a year old), as lamb meat is much more valuable than mutton.
Gary T

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Middle ages looked at animals first as a renewable source of food/energy, secondly as animals to be slaughtered.

The wild game (rabbits, squirrels, birds, etc.) would be a minor source of meat, unless the people are at closer to a starvation level. Not that wild game was relegated to food you eat when starving, but merely that a productive farm will have generally more meat produced than the woods around it. If times are very very tough, a good portion of the farm animals may have already been eaten.

I'd also have to add the percentage and type of meat in the diet could vary widely by area and by time. Apparently the earlier Saxons were big into pig farming, and pork was a big part of their diet. The Scandanavians, with colder climate and many fjords offering sea access had a lot of fish in their diet. I also understand that in Ireland and England Cattle farming became a "business" around the 15th century or a bit later onward. Instead of the model where cattle were bred first for work and milk, secondly for meat changed to a meat based farming system. Your smaller farms still probably would have used the earlier middle ages model, but there were large cattle specialty farms cropping up around this point as well. The increased use of the horse as a plow animal probably had something to do with this as well. This may have also led to cowhide becoming cheaper, and the "buff coat" somewhat replacing textile based protective garments.

The time and locale I am most familiar with regarding this is England from roughly the 11th-14th centuries.

One thing to realize as well - the size and production of middle ages farm animals were a fraction of what we see now.

Cattle were bred for oxen to pull plows and provide other work, and cows for milk. There was some surplus of males to be butchered, but a good amount of males were kept for labor.

Sheep - Males were not butchered in any great number as well, as the primary thing sheep produced, wool, was produced by male and female alike, which is why the ratio of male to female was relatively close.

Pigs - A pretty pure meat animal, produces little else that is productive. They breed rapidly, grow relatively fast, and eat almost anything. Would seem to be a great choice, but they were also very destructive, it was very common to see pig owners fined. Apparently though in the Middle Ages in England, they did not constitute a large percentage of the animals on a farm

Some of the biggest producers of meat were foul, most commonly chickens and Geese. Only problem with Geese is that they are rather monogamous, so the inefficient males had to be kept for breeding.

Chickens on the other had were not. Males were usually neutered and raised for meat (Capons). Most peasant would have some chickens on their toft and croft.

But with the Majority of the animals, other than Pigs and Chickens, and to an extent Geese, the animals were kept around for other products than meat, such as young, eggs, labor, and wool. When their productivity in these areas greatly declined, they were slaughtered, but this provided rather tough dry meat. And animals in the middle ages had a longer "shelf life" than today's animals. Today a dairy cow might be done after 4 years - in the middle ages it would be about twice this amount of time. This is also a portion of why modern animals produce more milk/eggs etc., as they are kept only during their most productive years.
Pieter B.

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While we are on the topic:

Does anyone know how cities were supplied with non cereal crops? We have tons of evidence for grain import but I cannot find anything on Cauliflower or Sprouts. Nor any paintings depicting carrot fields.
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm going to side with the folks who said that meat was not unusual for "commoners" (which as others have noted means a really wide range of people). If you can go so far as to generalize... which is dangerous to do for medieval Europe because it's such a fiendishly complex world, mostly they ate a pretty rich diet in general, more than you might expect.

I've done a lot of research on the craft guilds in the Central European (mostly German or German / Slavic), Flemish, and Italian cities in the late medieval period (roughly 1360-1520), and in those places at least during that time period, there is evidence that meat was fairly common (except on the frequent saints-days when it was forbidden, but then they used to eat fish and other things). There are three sources of records for this I can think of off the top of my head.

Guild records will give you a lot of information - guild masters usually had to feed their journeymen and apprentices, and this shows up in contracts and in legal disputes between them (and there were plenty of those especially from the second half of the 14th Century through the 15th). Journeymen in particular used to cause trouble about food quite a bit. So there are records of this in apprentice contracts and in city council minutes related to disputes and lawsuits.

Work records. The second is a similar issue, people who hired craftsmen for example, masons to build a church or a castle or carpenters and shipwrights to build a ship, also often had to pay them, feed them, and provide them beer. So there are records of this as well. For example the 19th Century German historian Johannes Janssen described a labor disturbance by journeymen watermen (I think stevedores or people who operated the small lighters used to unload ships) in several Rhenish towns in 1469 as follows:

A coordinated strike by the powerful association of watermen in several cities of the Rhine in 1469 left us a rather amusing complaint from ships masters made to the Margrave of Baden: "…although receiving a florin a day, they are not contented at their meals with a soup, a good vegetable, together with meat, bread and cheese, but demand also a roast and dessert. This seems unreasonable, we cannot afford to give all this."

Whether this represents the actual situation or just poor-mouthing by the guild masters is hard to say. I don't remember what page that is from but it's somewhere in here:

https://archive.org/details/historyofgermanp15jansuoft

The third is all the regulations on butchers. There were a LOT of butchers in medieval towns and they were usually one of the most prominent guilds. Butchers were heavily regulated, including regular inspections by the guild and / or the city, and there are a lot of records related to the laws governing the butchers

I also know the towns had regulations for dealing with poor people, including the poorest day laborers and even beggars (a limited quantity of whom were tolerated in the towns) and even these people were frequently given meat on Holy days and festivals, either by the guilds, by the town government, or by various religious sodalities.

Military expeditions seemed to be amply supplied with meat as well. For example when the town of Regensburg sent some of it's militia (248 men including 73 horsemen, 71 crossbowmen, 16 gunners and various artisans) to join the doomed Hussite Crusade that had been called up, they brought the following supplies:

Forty one wagons carried powder and lead, 6,000 crossbow bolts, 300 fire-bolts, 19 handguns, cowhides, tents, and horse fodder for six weeks. Supplies for the 248 men included ninety head of oxen, 900 lbs of cooked meat, 900 lbs of lard, 1200 pieces of cheese, 80 stock-fish, 56 lbs of uncut candles, vinegar, olive oil, pepper, saffron, ginger, 2 tuns and 73 “kilderkins” of Austrian wine, and 138 “kilderkins” of beer. The total cost of this campaign was 838 guilders.

I got that from the Osprey book "German medieval Armies" but I think their source was a transcription by Hans Delbruck

The book Medieval Law and the Foundations of the State, Alan Harding, page 107 "A typical 15th Century Peasant can earn 20-30 florins per year18 from the sale of lumber, wheat, various animals, meat, eggs, honey, butter, fruit and vegetables" so I'm not sure typical Polish peasants were going around so hungry either.

I've seen a chart somewhere though I think it's kind of hard to find, which shows average height from skeletons found in the last 2000 years or so, and if I remember correctly, there is a peak in the late medieval period and then it gradually declines in the 16th Century and plummets in the 17th, reaching a low point some time in the 18th and then recovering slowly and then at an accelerating rate in the 19th and 20th. One of the reasons we sometimes have trouble understanding the medieval world is that we tend to look at the 19th Century and project backward. We know there was a lot of really desperate, squalid poverty in the 19th Century so we figure it must have been even worse in say, the 15th. But the opposite seems to be true.

Jean

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Sat 07 Feb, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pieter,

That is tricky. In most English towns they focus on large market products. So think bulk. Wagon loads and high cost goods. Examples being grains for bulk or the likes and then high cost goods think armour or the likes. Towns tend to have markets even until this day which likely had a part in this. I suspect from cook books veggies were indeed present for the middle class and wealthy. You also have that part of produce could be owed to the lord so he may take his cut of the harvest in such items.

For the poor they had their own gardens. Even in many towns there were small gardens present at times, dependent on the town. but Southampton throughout the period had gardens around in the walls.

RPM
Gary T

PostPosted: Sat 07 Feb, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd think the diet of the less than wealthy would be less rich in meat, and rural commoners probably had as much meat as their particular mix of animals and crops allowed.

Also don't forget that animal eaten is one that cannot be sold. A pig would put food on the dinner table, but the sale of same pig might provide other necessities.

But I would think for example a farm focusing on sheep and wool production would have some mutton in the diet, though likely the commoners would eat most old tougher animals harvested after they were no longer acceptable for producing wool.

I think the diets we are looking at examples of are often for the guild members, which is in itself a bit of status, the middle ages version of the middle class. How this compares to the diet of rural serfs I'm not sure, and rural made up the majority of the population compared to urban types.
Pieter B.

PostPosted: Sat 07 Feb, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
Pieter,

That is tricky. In most English towns they focus on large market products. So think bulk. Wagon loads and high cost goods. Examples being grains for bulk or the likes and then high cost goods think armour or the likes. Towns tend to have markets even until this day which likely had a part in this. I suspect from cook books veggies were indeed present for the middle class and wealthy. You also have that part of produce could be owed to the lord so he may take his cut of the harvest in such items.

For the poor they had their own gardens. Even in many towns there were small gardens present at times, dependent on the town. but Southampton throughout the period had gardens around in the walls.

RPM

I've spend a few afternoons staring at old city maps and some do indeed have gardens hidden in a square housing block. However they seem way to small to provide for an entire city. When I come to think of it most medieval and early renaissance paintings show livestock and grain fields but no flax fields or a field dedicated to vegetables.
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Sat 07 Feb, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

right, think veggies and some animals not massive fields for the most part.

RPM
Philip Dyer

PostPosted: Sat 07 Feb, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
right, think veggies and some animals not massive fields for the most part.

RPM

Also complicates the matter that allot of vegetables actually grow better and last longer with less susceptibility to pest if they planted in a mixed plant field. So, what I'm getting from this discussion is that most people, besides the poorest of the poor, could eat some sort of meat fairly often, but not often by modern standards. Nobility could afford to eat quite healthy amount of red meat, beef, dear, moose, boar, elk, because they could legal right and had the access to the wealth of retainers, specialized hunting dogs to hunt large game fairly safely. Member of wealthy merchant family's could at times eat prodigous amount of variety of different animal's because of sheer amount of money they had and their desire to show off. Small farmers/ regular townspeople can be surmised to eat things such as sheep, rabbits, pork, chickens,fish, squirrels fairly often and cattle occasionally,live when their milk cow kicked the of their plow runner and the frequency of consumption of these different "fair game animals depends on weather and the number of renewable resources they could extract from the living beast. Serfs could be lucky to be able to get to savor the organs of the various. Also their was variance in what sort of meat was eaten the most with very icy, water covered places like Norway, people there got most of their meat from sea life and very rocky rugged places like the Scottish highlands and Ireland substituting on unusual amount of cattle because of how poor the soil was there that tradition agriculture very difficult to there.
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So, what kinds of vegetables, fruits, nuts and legumes would have been available?

Tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, squashes and corn (maize) are all new world plants, so would not have been available pre-"Columbian Exchange".

Apparently the Italians had developed broccoli and other brassicas all the way back in Roman times.

I would think root veggies, carrots, turnips, beets would do well in Northern Europe, but I don't know how old.
Some beans thrive in cooler temps, but generally need hot temperatures to really grow well. Lentils, olives, fruits were all part of the Mediterranean diet long ago.

I don't know anything about leafy greens like lettuce, so I don't know if these would be found in household gardens from the time.

Surely Mediterranean Spain, France and Italy could provide citrus plants and perhaps other fruits.

It's an interesting subject.
Pieter B.

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Nicolaysen wrote:
So, what kinds of vegetables, fruits, nuts and legumes would have been available?

Tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, squashes and corn (maize) are all new world plants, so would not have been available pre-"Columbian Exchange".

Apparently the Italians had developed broccoli and other brassicas all the way back in Roman times.

I would think root veggies, carrots, turnips, beets would do well in Northern Europe, but I don't know how old.
Some beans thrive in cooler temps, but generally need hot temperatures to really grow well. Lentils, olives, fruits were all part of the Mediterranean diet long ago.

I don't know anything about leafy greens like lettuce, so I don't know if these would be found in household gardens from the time.

Surely Mediterranean Spain, France and Italy could provide citrus plants and perhaps other fruits.

It's an interesting subject.

Carrots were available for medieval folks just not in the orange colored variety, peas (multiple kinds), beans (multiple kinds), god knows how many species of cabbage. I could go on like this forever but i'll just post a link to this most interesting site.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbian_Exchange#Examples

If you remove all the ones originating from African and Asia you got most of your answer. From there on it is really trying to see how and where they were grown in Europe which might prove a bit harder to do.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Diet of Medieval commoners.
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: