Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Royal Oak Armoury Etsy Shop Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jeffrey Hildebrandt
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Royal Oak Armoury Etsy Shop         Reply with quote

My Etsy shop isn't new, but the way I am using it is. Rather than continuing to use the storefront to offer a new version of everything I have previously built, I am instead offering for immediate sale items that I have "in stock." I don't actually dedicate shop time to making non-commissioned orders (I would be crazy to, with a year of work in queue), but I do find occasion to sell prototypes, experiments, orders that were never paid for, etc. Check in every once in a while - I have a handful of other items that I will be adding shortly.

Of course, I am still taking commissions for custom work through my website, this thread is just about my Etsy storefront.

For those who have justifiably lamented my one-year wait in the "decent conical helmet" thread, check out the St. Wenceslaus helmet I have for sale on Etsy.

-Jeffrey Hildebrandt

Royal Oak Armoury Website
Royal Oak Armoury Facebook
Shahril Dzulkifli

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Royal Oak Armoury Etsy Shop         Reply with quote

Just saw that St. Wenceslas helmet. It has unknown motifs on the nasal band.
The original one (below), now kept at Prague Castle, doesn't have any motifs on it.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Jeffrey Hildebrandt
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The motifs on the nasal and brow band of my reproduction are based on the original and a published hypothetical reconstruction of the damaged parts.

Here is a public domain image of the original parts:

I am sure the hypotetical reconstruction can be turned up within the first page of a Google search, too.

I wasn't sure what to think of the small nub at the base of the original nasal, but ended up interpreting it as a mail hook on my reproduction, based on contemporary conical helmets.

-Jeffrey

Hunter B.

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That Cretan helmet is so tempting
“It is the loose ends with which men hang themselves.”
Edward Lee

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very tempted at the Irish and German 16th century helmet. Is the Irish helmet a form of bascinet?
J. Nicolaysen

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jeffrey, thanks for the heads up on the etsy shop. I was not aware of it, and these are some very good prices for your excellent work.

For Etsy purchases, which I have never done, is it possible to buy the helmet straight away and then communicate to you for linings, etc? Do you send an email to the buyer to go discuss these things? I just have never used etsy, but the pages look very good and all the works are very nice.

I wondered about the finish on the Gallowglass/Irish helmet. How would you describe it as compared to the model on your webpage?

I don't know if you would rather have specific questions like this directed to you here or to your email.

Best wishes. Everything I see you do looks great!
Jeffrey Hildebrandt
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Nicolaysen wrote:
For Etsy purchases, which I have never done, is it possible to buy the helmet straight away and then communicate to you for linings, etc? Do you send an email to the buyer to go discuss these things? I just have never used etsy, but the pages look very good and all the works are very nice.

I wondered about the finish on the Gallowglass/Irish helmet. How would you describe it as compared to the model on your webpage?

Thanks, Kem. Etsy has a conversation tool that allows buyers to contact sellers with questions about specific products. I prefer to be contacted about details before selling, particularly when there are additional prices to be agreed upon. I am happy to answer questions on Etsy, by email or with the PM feature here on myArmoury.

As for the Lough Henney helmet:

Edward, I don't think that it fits neatly into any of the broad helmet types that we have convenient names for.

Kem, the finish on my prototype (the one for sale) is made the same way as the later iteration posted on my website - it is russet blackened. I subjected my prototype to rigorous testing to ensure its durability, which means that it weathered outside for about 8 months before I cleaned out the nest wasps had built inside, and boiled it. Polish the copper, paint the inside and voilà - good as new. It is a surprisingly tenacious surface, and can be retouched without proprietary chemicals.

Thanks for your questions!

-Jeffrey

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Royal Oak Armoury Etsy Shop
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic