Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Discovery's "Big Giant Swords" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I watched the first show. I didn't like the people. They annoyed me. They seemed like yahoos.

The sword aspect of things wasn't really relevant to me since it hasn't much to do with swords, or weapons for that matter. They're more metal art... or something.

I wasn't going to give this show even a chance - but the other day I did tune in for just a little bit to see if I could stomach it. I approached it much more how Nathan has stated here, its not about the historical or even functional 'sword' but art. the guy's an eccentric artist, he's building what he wants to build, and I can respect that. and if he's making a living doing it then he's pulled off something I can't.

however, i would much more have liked for someone to exhibit functional blades and the artistry and balance that it takes to build a functional blade with proper harmonics balance - not to mention all the other aspects of incorporated decoration heck, if you just had someone making different pattern welded blades you could make an entire season on that. but i guess pounding steel then hours and hours and hours of grinding then polishing is not going to give a lot of exciting content for a tv show. I'd probably watch it though.
Peter Lyon
Industry Professional

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The unfortunate reality is that most of these "reality" programs are bottom feeders, made at the lowest possible cost, and chasing viewership against all the other bottom feeders out there in order to survive. They do that with outsize personalities and conflict (much of it engineered or outright scripted) that can be used in "impact"adverts.

So I have almost zero hope that balanced, quality TV about the reality of sword making and the skills and engineering behind what a sword "good", will ever be made. A few years ago it might have happened, but even history programs are now mainly infotainment, sacrificing depth in order to grab the largest possible popular audience.

Still hammering away
Pieter B.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Ballantyne wrote:
The time when the Discovery Channel programming made a pretense toward living up to their supposed charter for existence disappeared in the rear view long ago.

When did documentaries fall out of favor? Everything they air now is reality tv.

Honestly the only documentaries I feel are worthwhile are BBC and Channel 4 ones.
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In Hollywood there was a writers strike a number of years ago. That's when the reality craze started. Producers discovered you could get just as many viewers and advertising money on a show that didn't have writers, actors, or a set.
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Discovery's "Big Giant Swords"
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: