Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Joust at Dresden 1937 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Rod Walker

PostPosted: Tue 23 Dec, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Joust at Dresden 1937         Reply with quote

Not sure if I have this in the right forum.

This is a joust in Dresden in 1937. I have an original filmstock copy of this, still in its original tin case with the markings on it from the government of the day. I had it transferred to DVD a few years ago and have finally gotten around to uploading it. Part 2 to follow.

http://youtu.be/CdC-WBAjPkk

Cheers

Rod
Jouster
www.jousting.com.au

"Come! Let us lay a lance in rest,
And tilt at windmills under a wild sky!
For who would live so petty and unblessed
That dare not tilt at something, ere he die?"
--Errantry, John Galsworthy
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sat 27 Dec, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Joust at Dresden 1937         Reply with quote

Just watched that. I didn't know that jousting was practiced in pre-WWII Germany at that time. By the way, that joust film is quite rare to find.
“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Rim Andries

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 27 Dec, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What a rare and unique find!
Sir Dreamin'
Piotr H. Feret
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 27 Dec, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank's for sharing Rod, there is something special is such old films. I suppose that they have used oryginal armour not reproduction.
www.platener.eu
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Piotr H. Feret wrote:
I suppose that they have used oryginal armour not reproduction.

Why? I thought there were already some good reproductions available at that time (apart from the larger number of pretty rubbish ones, of course).
Michael Beeching

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 03 Jan, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to say the armoring scene was quite fascinating. It did go against the grain of some armoring scenes I've seen in the past, and the lack of gambeson was interesting, to say the least. Namely, starting from the top and moving down was the main contrast I've seen in modern armoring demonstrations. Also, the lack of gloves in the gauntlets was quite odd.

The part that impressed me the most was the armor about the throat - many examples of cuirass I've seen have a small opening about the throat, but his suit had a large opening with a broad system of plates to cover the shoulders and neck. The end result seems to be something which would offer excellent coverage with very good flexibility. Needless to say, the plate looks like it was beautifully fitted, and was also quite beautiful itself. Can't wait for part 2!
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Beeching wrote:
I have to say the armoring scene was quite fascinating. It did go against the grain of some armoring scenes I've seen in the past, and the lack of gambeson was interesting, to say the least. Namely, starting from the top and moving down was the main contrast I've seen in modern armoring demonstrations. Also, the lack of gloves in the gauntlets was quite odd.

Well, the main difference is that most of the tutorials we see online these days are about putting on 14th- and 15th-century armours. There were some funny things going on at the end of the 15th century that changed the way armour was attached to the body, especially with regards to how the arms were pointed to a gorget lying underneath the breastplate rather than to the arming garment as in the case of most medieval armours. That being said, I think the way the armour was put on in the 1937 is a bit dodgy -- no arming garment, for instance, and it'd be pretty difficult to keep the leg armour in the correct position without pointing them to a doublet underneath (which was probably one of the reasons why the cuisses got replaced by long tassets later on). Let's just chalk it up to the fact that we have the benefit of nearly eighty years of research and hindsight compared to those folks.
Piotr H. Feret
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Why? I thought there were already some good reproductions available at that time (apart from the larger number of pretty rubbish ones, of course).

Lafayette maybe there were at that time good quality reproductions but on this short movie I think that they used oryginal armour. Why? I think at that time they didn't were such much cautious with oryginal armour like nowadays and could used it in such purpose. It can be compare to the films from The Metropolitan Museum of Art from the time of Bashford Dean, when they actually used authentic armours:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjKbi7YUNaI

www.platener.eu

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Joust at Dresden 1937
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic