Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Fencing Manuels for 2-handers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rabbe Jan-Olof Laine wrote:

Contrary to common myths, wielding a zweihänder doesn't take incredible amounts of strength (although, as with any kind of fencing, being strong does help somewhat). The long handle grants quite a bit of leverage to move the thing around, and that, coupled with proper body mechanics, makes it quite easy to use one.

Rabbe

I was probably a 'bit' quick in my (blunt) judgement as usual. Happy
You've made me curious though. Now I'll have to find one I can borrow, so I can see for myself.
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Great posts         Reply with quote

I looked at teh ARMA manuels online too. The Golaith manuel shows what seems to be genuine two-handers. However, sometimes there can be a blurred line between what we commonly refer to as a zweihander and a hand-and-a-half sword. I do believe that the basic underlying principals that people such as Fiore and Silver talk about (balance, timing etc) would apply to the two-hander. I don't know specifically of judicial duels fought with these big swords , but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. At first one would think that using a 4-6 pound sword would be difficult and slow. Difficult maybe, but not necessarily slow. As someone mentioned above, great leverages can be generated with a long handle and with half-swording, the blade can be made shorter and faster when needed. What I was specifically wondering if the 2-handers actually used some moves or principals from polearms or a staff. This would seem sensible since the sword would be nearly as long as a staff.

Joel
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I haven't really focussed on "true" two handers in my studies, but yes, according to period manuscripts, they do bridge that gap between polearm and sword.

Quote:
And I (like Anton said) am a bit confused by these terms and there actual looks and sices....

Aren't we all! The terminology is confusing because there really never was a universal terminology set in place. George Silver's two handed sword, for instance, is not one of the two-handers being discussed in this thread. Vadi's longsword is bigger than the typical hand and a half. They're all two handed swords, and yet they aren't all the same sword.
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greetings,

Is it just me, or do the swords on the Goliath manuscript resemble the swords mentioned in this post? What really leapt out at me was the short ricassos shown in both places.

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Fencing Manuels for 2-handers
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: