Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Looking for original to this replica of a polehammer Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Johannes Zenker

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Looking for original to this replica of a polehammer         Reply with quote

So I'm looking to get myself a replica polearm, not necessarily a completely accurate reproduction, but something that's at least historically plausible, aesthetically pleasing and that would be suitable for its original purpose - not that I'll ever have to use it for that, but I think that it should be anyway.

I took an interest in some of the offerings over at Wulflund and found this lovely-looking warhammer/pollaxe/poleaxe/polehammer/bec de corbin/crow's beak/Streithammer/Kriegshammer/Mordaxt/lucerne hammer, whatever you want to call it.

http://www.wulflund.com/weapons/axes-poleweap...lica.html/

Obviously they claim that it's a museum replica, but I have as of yet been unable to find pictures of the original.
Does anyone know where this weapon originates from, where the original rests now?

Another thing I'm curious about: the merchant readily answered my question whether it was hardened and tempered, which it of course isn't - a common thing with polearms from what I've read on this forum. Wouldn't it, however, make sense to HT this particular piece, simply because of how relatively delicate the prongs and spikes are?

Thank you all in advance for your answers,
Johannes
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't imagine that being a replica. The general form is the same as many originals, but it looks to be quite stylized in shape and form.

Attachment: 155.51 KB
[ Download ]

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Johannes Zenker

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I can't imagine that being a replica. The general form is the same as many originals, but it looks to be quite stylized in shape and form.

Can't say I'm surprised. A budget Czech made weapon is not that likely to be an accurate replica. Still, I'm not really disappointed if the general form with its rather delicate shapes is found similarly on originals. I like "historically plausible, but not a replica" as well.
Thanks.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Johannes Zenker wrote:
I like "historically plausible, but not a replica" as well.

It's not historically plausible. That phrase is used way too frequently. The only thing that makes something historically plausible is if there are extant examples of said item.... items that are carefully researched with features that existed in the same time and region combined into one item are historically plausible, as one example. You can see Albion's Next Gen line as a guide to that approach... the swords are not made from one extent original, but rather from various swords that existed in the same period of time and area of use, etc, etc.

It takes a lot of effort to make something "historically plausible" and perhaps more effort than simply copying one single antique. Throwing something together with a general form borrowed from history and adding completely random stylized elements is not only an approach requiring less effort, but removes all plausibility from that item.

This piece is of general form to many originals, but is quite stylized in shape and form--making it not historically plausible.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Looking for original to this replica of a polehammer
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic