Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Examples of type XI with down turned cross guard Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Tue 11 Nov, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Examples of type XI with down turned cross guard         Reply with quote

Does anybody know of any examples of XI types with brazil nut pommel (or variant) and with a non straight cross guard but instead something down turned, along the lines of the Albion Norman style of cross?

Every example I have seen seem to always have straight style 1 guards.

The church is near but the roads are icy. The tavern is far but I will walk carefully. - Russian Proverb
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 11 Nov, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Bryan,

If you can get a hold of 'Medieval Swords from Southwestern Europe' by Aleksic there's a handsome 12th century sword (catalog #16, plate 1) with a blade nearly 38" long and an unusually 'flattened' Brazil nut Pommel (about 1" high, 2" deep, and 3" wide) - and with a curved cross much like the Albion Norman. The author classifies it as an Xa, but to my eyes the narrow fuller and overall blade shape could put it in the XI family.

A lot of the rules based on Western European swords seem to be violated by Eastern European swords!

-JD
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 11 Nov, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There's that XI with the beast heads. It's a straight guard, with the beast head turning down at the ends. There is also an XIa with a curved guard, though with a disc pommel.

Attachment: 20.44 KB
XI6.jpg

Attachment: 13.39 KB
XIa.jpg
XIa
Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Wed 12 Nov, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys.

J.D...I was able to find an online version of the book you mentioned and found the sword. That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I think a recreation of a sword like that would really great. That subtle downturn on the cross guard matches up well with the curves of the Brazil nut pommel.....I really like that.

The church is near but the roads are icy. The tavern is far but I will walk carefully. - Russian Proverb
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 12 Nov, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryan Heff wrote:
Thanks for the info guys.

J.D...I was able to find an online version of the book you mentioned and found the sword. That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I think a recreation of a sword like that would really great. That subtle downturn on the cross guard matches up well with the curves of the Brazil nut pommel.....I really like that.

Go for it!!! I was thinking of doing the same but I already have some similar swords and several other projects in the works.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Examples of type XI with down turned cross guard
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic