Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Displaying sword in apartment? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Caitlin Maples

PostPosted: Sat 08 Nov, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Displaying sword in apartment?         Reply with quote

Hi all, I just bought a Celtic short sword, and I was curious if there is a good way to display it cheaply in a college apartment? I can't mess up the walls or I'll have to pay for it later, and I can't afford a very fancy display case for it. I also don't want to hurt the sword by using the wrong kind of hooks. Is there a good and cheap way to display it on a table, perhaps? What are the options?

I've displayed a sword and a shield before, but it was at my parents' house and what we used definitely tore holes in the wall, and I'm new to attempting this on my own.

I noticed there was a topic already on general sword hanging but most of it was pretty heavy duty and I need a more temporary solution until I graduate next semester....thanks!
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Sat 08 Nov, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Maybe try a shadowbox         Reply with quote

I have been thinking about getting one of these for a very nice bronze sword I have. There are different sizes. A craft store that makes picture frames, such as Hobby Lobby or Michael's would also probably be able to make one. At least HL said they would, and it would be customized to the size of the sword. I didn't get a price though. The idea of a box is appealing to me so that it can be seen as pure art and be displayed safely (I have a few rugrats) but having no glass in front would mean I can take it out to admire and so forth. Or with the one below, there is a lockable door on the case.

http://www.sfdisplay.com/sworddisplaycases.aspx

If I get around to actually getting one from here or from Hobby Lobby, I'll let you know my thoughts. Of course you could make your own if you are inclined. Simple oak wood, stained or painted, some felt, some suitable hanging material and wood glue/clamps and I bet it would be under 50 dollars.

Anyhow, you don't have to hang it on the wall if you don't want, it'd be fine on a table or desk, but OOKS and other brands of hangers don't hurt walls as much as nails.

Last edited by J. Nicolaysen on Sat 08 Nov, 2014 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 08 Nov, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe one of these display stands is what you're looking for.
Juan Federico Gonzalez

PostPosted: Sat 08 Nov, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are these hooks called Command Hooks by 3m if your sword has a decent hilt maybe those will do the job.
One of the most horrible features of war is that all the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting.

George Orwell - Homage to Catalonia
Glen S. Ramsay

PostPosted: Sun 09 Nov, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Albion sells one...         Reply with quote

Albion sells these cool minimalistic point-of-balance desk/shelf stands:

http://www.albion-swords.com/sword-displays.htm[/img]

Attachment: 28.59 KB
pobstand2.jpg

Attachment: 28.75 KB
pobstand4.jpg

Attachment: 22.36 KB
pobstand3.jpg

Marik C.S.

PostPosted: Sun 09 Nov, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Albion sells one...         Reply with quote

Glen S. Ramsay wrote:

Those look like they shouldn't be too hard to make yourself, even with minimal tools. I guess those are weighted in some way to keep them from tipping if bumped (obviously while standing still the PoB and gravity keep them steady)? If not those are expensive for being nothing but a piece of wood albeit a quite nice one.

Europe - Where the History comes from. - Eddie Izzard
Will S

PostPosted: Sun 09 Nov, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is having a sword on display in a college apartment wise? Not to appear boring or anything, but I remember having a pair of boots stolen from mine and left in the oven, preheating....

Not sure I'd want anything expensive/dangerous on full display in a building lived in by students Wink
Caitlin Maples

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Will S wrote:
Is having a sword on display in a college apartment wise? Not to appear boring or anything, but I remember having a pair of boots stolen from mine and left in the oven, preheating....

Not sure I'd want anything expensive/dangerous on full display in a building lived in by students Wink

Ah that's an interesting sense of humor your classmates had! Yeah I mean it's not the *safest* place to live but, that being said, nobody can see in the window or anything because we're a few stories up, so at least it's not widely known that it's in the apartment.

Anyway the display stands are perfect, thanks everyone!!! That's exactly what I was looking for.
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Tue 11 Nov, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Albion sells one...         Reply with quote

Marik C.S. wrote:
Glen S. Ramsay wrote:

Those look like they shouldn't be too hard to make yourself, even with minimal tools. I guess those are weighted in some way to keep them from tipping if bumped (obviously while standing still the PoB and gravity keep them steady)? If not those are expensive for being nothing but a piece of wood albeit a quite nice one.

I went to the restore and got some stair rail parts and did this for 25 Cents

David L Smith
MSG (RET)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Displaying sword in apartment?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic