Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New resource: TheHEMAists.com Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: New resource: TheHEMAists.com         Reply with quote

Allow me to announce a new site, www.theHEMAists.com, a resource for Historical European Martial Artists (and other sword buffs)! We have a lot of really cool content coming down the pipeline, including regular articles dealing with training tips, antique weapons, analysis of historical documents, and more. We also will have periodic articles, such as BladeFit (a HEMA fitness series), and "Say it Right!", a series of articles making sure you know how to pronounce all of those pesky foreign terms in the fencing treatises. Check us out, and please feel free to follow us!
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds interesting: I just now " BOOKMARKED IT " for regular viewing/reading and to not forget about it.
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How about some common Italian terms? Cool
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew P. Adams wrote:
How about some common Italian terms? Cool

Patience. Wink

All I'll say for now is what I said above: we've got a lot of stuff coming down the pipeline!

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 01 Sep, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You probably should consider setting up a Facebook page, too. Would make the site's feed easier to follow for people who spend most of their social media lives over there.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 01 Sep, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
You probably should consider setting up a Facebook page, too. Would make the site's feed easier to follow for people who spend most of their social media lives over there.

You're right. *sigh* I just hate Facebook so much that I rarely use even my own account, so the thought of regularly updating a page makes me cringe.

But yeah, I probably should suck it up and do that. Happy

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Mark T

PostPosted: Mon 01 Sep, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maaaybe ... but bear in mind that a lot of serious martial artists and people involved in the self-defence, personal protection, military, and intelligence sectors are not on Facebook.

This is something that people not in these sectors often are unaware of. This issue seems to particularly affect the HEMA community, which spans both camps - those who 'live on social' and those who've been trained to 'never miss an opportunity to keep your mouth shut'.

So, FB might be helpful for updates to a (large, yet critically limited) audience, but I for one hope that main content remains on 'home' sites.

And updates on relevant fora a would reach the (smaller, yet critically interested) target audience - as well a provide a longer-lasting, and more considered, site for discussion.

Just sayin'. Wink

PS Thanks, Bill, for the new site. Can't wait to see what's in the pipeline.

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 01 Sep, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Totally agree, Mark! A Facebook page would only be to announce updates...

...and on that note, I'm announcing a new update. Happy David Rowe just wrote a new article, "The Art of Translation Part 1: What Makes a Good Translation?" David is currently working on his masters at Catholic University focusing on medieval studies and translation, and has even had access to period manuscripts as part of his training. This is the first of an ongoing series, and David has plans for articles with translations, tips and general advice for the would-be scholars of our community. Without the period treatises, HEMA wouldn't exist!

http://thehemaists.com/2014/09/02/the-art-of-...anslation/

Note, I won't post here every single time there is an update to the site so as not to spam to forums (I already skipped a forum announcement for one article). I'll only post if there is an article that I think people on the forums would find of particular note. But we do intend to have a quite a number of updates for our "small" articles (such as our BladeFit and "Say it Right!" articles), and if you want to stay in the loop, please follow us on our page for e-mail updates!

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, if you'd rather not do it yourself, myArmoury's FB page has been sharing your last few updates there, and it might be a good idea to make this into an informal (but officially sanctioned) arrangement of sorts.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 24 Mar, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Someone earlier this week sent me a message saying he didn't realize how much stuff we've added to the site, so I'm going to plug it again.

http://theHEMAists.com/

Most recently Tim Hall put up an article about the unarmed German art of Ringen. He discusses how many in the modern world want to focus purely on the "combat" applications (which he's defining as the more dangerous actions such as elbow break and knee stomps) and want to skip the "sport" techniques because they don't think those reflect real life fighting. Tim's argument is that one needs to train both, as the sport side will strongly effect how you are able to apply the combat techniques. Read about it here:

http://thehemaists.com/2015/03/14/ringen-trai...plication/

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 25 Mar, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice stuff, glad to see this. You folks do good work and it's good to see another solid HEMA site online adding to the conversation in a grownup way.

Jean

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New resource: TheHEMAists.com
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic