Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New collector looking for a bearded axe Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Keanan Talley

PostPosted: Sun 05 Oct, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: New collector looking for a bearded axe         Reply with quote

Hello all! So I'm a fairly new weapon collector and have finally gotten around to starting my collection. Big Grin

I figured I'd start with the two weapons I've actually used in LARP and sparring: a one handed warhammer, and a norse bearded axe. Now I've gotten the warhammer, a nice spiked one from Arms and Armor, what I'm looking for now is a bearded norse/viking axe which is proving to be a hassle, I looked over the axes in Arms and Armor, none were very appealing to me. I've looked all over and only two have come to my standards but I know nothing solid about them as nobody has reviewed them.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...Viking+Axe A long broad-head axe from Darksword Armoury, does anybody have anything to say about this one?

and

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...iking+Axe+ An etched short-head axe supposedly from Deepeeka, but I've seen other websites and such selling the exact same axe, unfortunately I don't know the original manufacturer, anybody know anything about this axe or it's manufacturer?

If both are terrible does anybody know where to find a real, high quality axe?
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 05 Oct, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New collector looking for a bearded axe         Reply with quote

Keanan Talley wrote:
what I'm looking for now is a bearded norse/viking axe which is proving to be a hassle, I looked over the axes in Arms and Armor, none were very appealing to me. I've looked all over and only two have come to my standards but I know nothing solid about them as nobody has reviewed them.

Well, A&A can make any type you want if you show them the design you are looking or as a full custom commission or they can modify one of their standard stock axes if it only need some modification in size and or style to please you ?

If you want it to be historically accurate or plausible you can tell A&A your preferences and they can advise you if it is historical or not.

You can also specify if you want the edges of the axe to be selectively hardened because a lot of axes and polearms where not alway heat treated historically, but harder steel at the edge was also done for the better quality weapons.

The Darksword one is basically wrong for a bearded axe, and the lower horn of the axe too long except for fantasy weapons.

The Deepeeka looks like a reneactment blunt, sort of crude, also not very historically correct and way below the quality of what A&A makes.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 05 Oct, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, and a bearded axe should look like this with the squared off lower horn, otherwise it's not a bearded axe as the ones you linked to are not bearded axes.

http://www.myArmoury.com/review_em_beardaxe.html

Or like the Nordland A&A axe:

http://www.myArmoury.com/review_aa_nordlandp.html

This is a fairly small axe but it could be custom made at a larger size and without the blackened finish.

I have one of these and it's a nice one handed axe, but mine was semi-customized by having a higher carbon steel edge hammer welded on and heat treated to a harder edge than the standard Nordland model. Also, mine was left bright and not darkened.

This one also by A&A is bigger with a longer handle but not bearded, it does have a lightness of a fast fighting axe and not the excessive weight of a wood chopping axe: Fighting axes where light and manoeuvrable for fast attacks and recovery.

http://www.arms-n-armor.com/limitededition.html

Scroll down to the " Limited edition " L " type axe. in the link.

Timo Nieminen

PostPosted: Sun 05 Oct, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New collector looking for a bearded axe         Reply with quote

Keanan Talley wrote:
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=DSA1743&name=Darksword+Norse+Viking+Axe A long broad-head axe from Darksword Armoury, does anybody have anything to say about this one?

Somewhat overweight. Not terribly so, but I'd prefer it much lighter. An axe has more of its weight further out, compared to a sword, and for the same length and weight will be slower. So it should be light, if you want to actually hit a moving and defending target. (I have an antique battle axe of 39" total length, just over 10" of blade, and 555g.)

I don't like its looks, but looks are in the eye of the beholder. However, you said you were after a Norse axe, and this is fantasy rather than Norse. I'd take the Cold Steel Viking Axe over this. Similar weight or more, depending on whose stats you believe, but more "Norse". If you're not fussy about authenticity in appearance, you like its looks, you don't mind the weight, and are happy with the price, why not? (I'd reject it on all 4 of those points.)

Most, if not all, production large battle axes are overweight. This is less overweight than most. From the specs, this is Darksword's best large axe. You could do much worse than this one.

According to Darksword's website, the weight should be 3lbs 5oz, which is not bad. (I'd still like it to be a little lighter for the size, or longer for the same weight.) If that means that you can expect 10oz or so of variation in weight between different examples of this axe, then getting one at the light-weight end of the range might get you a good axe.

Keanan Talley wrote:
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AH3542&name=Etched+Viking+Axe+ An etched short-head axe supposedly from Deepeeka, but I've seen other websites and such selling the exact same axe, unfortunately I don't know the original manufacturer, anybody know anything about this axe or it's manufacturer?

Grossly overweight. It's a giant-sized Mammen axe! Less authentic than the Darksword, uglier IMO, and much heavier. Also much cheaper. I'd say "No."

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Keanan Talley

PostPosted: Sun 05 Oct, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New collector looking for a bearded axe         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Keanan Talley wrote:
what I'm looking for now is a bearded norse/viking axe which is proving to be a hassle, I looked over the axes in Arms and Armor, none were very appealing to me. I've looked all over and only two have come to my standards but I know nothing solid about them as nobody has reviewed them.

Well, A&A can make any type you want if you show them the design you are looking or as a full custom commission or they can modify one of their standard stock axes if it only need some modification in size and or style to please you ?

If you want it to be historically accurate or plausible you can tell A&A your preferences and they can advise you if it is historical or not.

You can also specify if you want the edges of the axe to be selectively hardened because a lot of axes and polearms where not alway heat treated historically, but harder steel at the edge was also done for the better quality weapons.

The Darksword one is basically wrong for a bearded axe, and the lower horn of the axe too long except for fantasy weapons.

The Deepeeka looks like a reneactment blunt, sort of crude, also not very historically correct and way below the quality of what A&A makes.

Well it's good to know A&A can make custom pieces. As for the axes, it's not so much heavy historical accuracy as it is functionality, I'm planning to order 2 of whichever I find, one sharpened for the collection and one blunted for reenactment, and have had some horror stories about some axes I've tried. That said, how is A&A's "minor details" on custom pieces, are the rivets they use and axe heads reliable? Also are they limited by wood quality and type?
Keanan Talley

PostPosted: Sun 05 Oct, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New collector looking for a bearded axe         Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't like its looks, but looks are in the eye of the beholder. However, you said you were after a Norse axe, and this is fantasy rather than Norse. I'd take the Cold Steel Viking Axe over this.

I actually DO have Cold Steel's Viking Axe, the head broke over the eye screw and completely split and cracked down the haft, Cold Steel was wanting close to full price for repairing it and refused any refunds.
If they no longer use screws in their Viking Axes today then yeah, absolutely!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: New collector looking for a bearded axe         Reply with quote

Keanan Talley wrote:

Well it's good to know A&A can make custom pieces. As for the axes, it's not so much heavy historical accuracy as it is functionality, I'm planning to order 2 of whichever I find, one sharpened for the collection and one blunted for reenactment, and have had some horror stories about some axes I've tried. That said, how is A&A's "minor details" on custom pieces, are the rivets they use and axe heads reliable? Also are they limited by wood quality and type?

For wood they use good strait grained Ash which is a traditional wood for axe, spear, polearm and tool handles.

Well, traditional axes use wedges to hold the head in place and don't use any rivets or bolts at all, and all the A&A axe are mounted traditionally. ( Some polearms will have rivets and pins through socket and languettes )

By minor details I meant that they can changes some things on their regular offering as semi-custom modifications that cost less than having a fully custom sword or axe designed or made: Things like using a different guard or pommel on a sword or making a blade wider, narrower or longer or shorter than the standard model.

One could also ask for a different aesthetic treatment for the handle of a sword like a wire wrap etc ......

Some modifications might be very small and add very little to the price of the piece or to the time it takes to finish it for delivery, but more extensive modifications would cost more and take more time to make. ( Custom work can take many months to finish and deadlines can be somewhat elastic ballpark figures depending on the maker ).

In any case A&A is a very well respected maker that produces high end reproduction of historical weapons as a production company, but also accept fully custom work like for my Langue de Boeuf polearm for example.

Here are links to the long " Designing and making of Topic " with from design discussions to in progress pics of the work to the end product and review.

Page 1 if you want to read the whole thing:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=4397&start=0

Page 3 has most of the finished pics and review of the finished project:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...p;start=60

Bartek Strojek

PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dunno where are you from, but Owen Bush appears to have at least two axes for sale, both much, much better as far as historical accuracy goes

http://owenbush.co.uk/axes-for-sale/

Almost two times more expensive, though, compared to that Darksword one. Dunno if bearded enough. Big Grin
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Szabo makes excellent axes and other things. He can make blunted for reenacted or fighting, or sharp, and my axe (type C shown below) arrived very sharp indeed. Also, it didn't take very long, since he makes several and has various axe head shapes.

https://www.facebook.com/PeterSzaboWeaponsmith

I can give you more details if you want, or more pictures, but I would say he is a very good maker. I also got a simple, slim leather sheath for the blade which was a very nice addition.

Otherwise I would work with A&A. They can do anything you want, and are always worth asking to see what a price, etc. might be.

Attachment: 222.27 KB
SzaboAxe2 (640x480).jpg

Last edited by J. Nicolaysen on Mon 06 Oct, 2014 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you can get it in time on this sale, A&A has a very nice looking Type B on the bottom of their muster page: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/muster.html

It shows at least that you would not be limited to their standard axe. Looks very nice for a single-handed, early bearded style axe. The one I got from Szabo is a slightly later type.

Edited to say:

Since I posted this at 8 am this morning, the A&A axe has been sold. I post the picture from A&A here for posterity since it is not only a good type B axe in itself, it is a good reference maybe for a commission from A&A. Also, both these axes I have shown here are one-handed. I have the A&A Danish Axe, two-hander, and it is a really fine piece. I can only recommend them highly. However, it is a Type M so not bearded. I believe their Type L that Jean linked to can be available either single or double handed, however it is also not bearded.

Attachment: 61.26 KB
A&A Type B Axe (450x268).jpg
Arms and Armor Type B Bearded axe

Attachment: 236.3 KB
A&A Type B Axe2 (640x526).jpg
Arms and Armor Type B Bearded Axe
Aaron Hoard

PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have both the A&A Type B and Type L axes. I like them both - very nicely made. Not as traditional in manufacture as something from Owen Bush, but they'll give you an idea of what this style of axe was like. In terms of handling, the Type B feels very sluggish in comparison to the Type L. (to me)

My Type B is 1lb 11oz while the Type L is 1lb 4oz. (total weights including the hafts) Both have 26" ash hafts.

A&A made my Type B as a custom order. They delivered on time and were a pleasure to deal with. For what they do, I think they are reasonably priced. If you had something different in mind, I'm sure they could accommodate you.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New collector looking for a bearded axe
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic