Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wives (or husbands) and swords.... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 25 Feb, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Wives (or husbands) and swords....         Reply with quote

Wives (or husbands) and swords....Pretty much sums up the source of this topic. I'll start: One night, while admiring my Hanwei side-sword, my wife says...''Let me see that?!?"............''Okay"....I said. This sword has been on display in my home for a long time now. My wife has moved it aside to dust. Has she just NOW noticed it? As she draws it from the scabbard, I see the tiniest glimmer in her eye. It might have helped that "Pirates of the Carribean" was playing on DISH. The smile that spread across her face was epic. " Honey.....This is a really cool sword."......Yeah, no kidding, I answered. ''Well.....When we go back to RenFest, I'm wearing this with my pirate-chick outfit!!!", she answered. Homer Simpson would say..."Doooohh!" Ever have to give up a good blade to an even better partner?....... Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud .....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Eric Allen

PostPosted: Tue 25 Feb, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My wife is more emotionally attached to my 1st gen Albion Gaddhjalt than I am. Whenever we have company over, she's always the first to show off our modest collection.

What she rolls her eyes at is the armor.
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 25 Feb, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My wife took to my sword obsession when we were first dating. Must admit she got a little concerned when the collection surpassed 66 swords, but it's been whittled down to a mere 20 now. She just recently purchased a Darksword Viking and a Windlass Celtic to wear to faires. Hoping she'll be inclined to get me another come my birthday! Laughing Out Loud
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Zach H.

PostPosted: Tue 25 Feb, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My wife enjoys my hobby with me and loves axes. She's got a couple plus a falchion and prides herself on being very dwarfish.

We joke that when she makes full professorship after she gets her doctorate we're going to hang a log axe in her office to frightening students.
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Tue 25 Feb, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My wife has enjoyed feeding my pocket/folding knife addiction for years now - but those are each less than $150 usually, and she has a good eye for what I'll like and what is a good buy. She has not yet displayed sufficient interest to begin the education required to perform the same function as a sword buyer..... and likely isn't going to get there. I think she is going to like the Sax that will get delivered in a couple of weeks, and if I can get heron board with daggers I'll be a happy man.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 25 Feb, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My wife simply accepted it as an eccentricity. Big Grin
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 25 Feb, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My wife absolutely does not like me buying swords and is not a fan of the collection. I balance it out by making sure she gets just about everything she wants to avoid any real conflict. She does not get why anyone would want more than a couple swords. I usually point out her purse, shoes, coats, and jewelry "collections" when she backs me in the corner. Razz

When I buy and sell swords, I bring them in and out of the "man cave" when she is not home. I have found it just works better that way. May sound funny but after 28 years, it seems to work.......

Non Timebo Mala
Ben Coomer

PostPosted: Tue 25 Feb, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My wife has nearly as many swords as I do and she might like her Constable a little more than me sometimes. And when she saw the Windlass Type XIV on sale, she had me get one for her too.

The only arguments we have over swords is when one wants to handle one of the others.
William M

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Feb, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmm, well my girlfriend likes to beat me up with larp swords and very occasionally join me in cutting up milk jugs, but she doesn't have a huge interest in swords. Saying that she is always wanting me to make a blade for her, something I plan on doing for her upcoming birthday by forging a Sgian Dubh. Overall I am very lucky to have a partner who tolerates my second love! Happy
Natalie Holkham

PostPosted: Wed 26 Feb, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I'm not a wife or a girlfriend but I am female and love my sword very much and have a strange connection to it. It is my first sword however. So I guess that holds some kind of significance? I am already looking to buy my second sword and have only begun training at the start of the year! I always have my sword out on display in the living room near the fireplace. I like to always have it within view. Also I like to practice some moves every evening after work! Happy
A. Gaber

PostPosted: Wed 26 Feb, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

my wife is really against ALL weapons.even my 10 inch scimitar for the kitchen. Laughing Out Loud
every time i reach for any thing bigger than a steak knife or sharper than a butter knife she runs away."watch that thing fly off you hand"she says.l laugh and she leaves the whole area out of fear. WTF?!
i dont own any swords yet Mad ,but i am planning to train in how to use them.so i could be an educated user and swords will move from a hobby to skill i am working on honing by training. learning a lot from being around here.
i could imagine my wife's face when she sees my first sword.oh well there a city park across from me,with a lot of benches Big Grin

Knowledge is a treasure, but practice is the key to it.

Fear not the man who fears God.
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Sun 02 Mar, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My wife tolerates my hobby. At times she’ll even attend events (if her girlfriends are coming too).

Many years ago she was curious about the protection provided by my pair of plates as the boys and I were getting ready for a back yard practice. She grabbed a nearby shovel and wacked me across the back with the flat of the spade. Obviously the force was well distributed and no damage was done to my armour.

I did however mention that it might have been nice to be prepared for the hit. Wink

I also pointed out the potential for real damage and injury had the flat of the spade not been used. Eek!

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When my wife and i first started dating she heard about the collection, I do not think I did enough to prepare her for the full effect, or full scale as it where.

When we married she accepted it as just something I loved. as I moved up in rank in the Army and with my post retirement job my collecting has grown to where it sort of out paced itself. She does not fuss about it at all, has a few favorite swords. I buy her looms though, heh.

There are two though that she really likes, my Judy Sampson, I was deployed and she rebuilt the kitchen and family room in to a greatroom, she kept the Judy Sampson display in the bedroom when the house was being torn apart and put it back on the mantel after words before I got home.

The other item is a Albion Clontarf. we came back from an event and had had several swords on display, she had never really handled them before. She picked it up off the couch to put back on the wall hooks and there she was having an "Ah Ha" moment. She simply said, 'Wow, that feels really good in the hand, I see what you mean now'

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for bringing this topic. I just recently came home with a Gerber Gator machete to use in the yard. I set it next to some of my other blades, and my wife said--"Great...just what we need...more swords! There's still an empty corner over there....Why don't you get a few more?" I gave her a big smile and said "Okay! Thanks!!!'' I got two new daggers just then. They shot out of her eyes. Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud ..........McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Zach H. wrote:
We joke that when she makes full professorship after she gets her doctorate we're going to hang a log axe in her office to frightening students.

I've got a bastard sword in my office. Works on Deans too!

By the way, my wife (also a professor) got a good laugh out of this thread. I'll remind her of that next time she catches me sneaking another sword in. Wink
Christine Munro

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My gf keeps wanting to use them to cut the vegetables. Other than that, she's not that interested, but doesn't object to me collecting them either.
Chuck D.

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My wife likes that I'm a 'real man' and enjoy hobbies such as hunting and traditional archery. She's glad I'm not metro and more concerned with my appearance than she is with hers. I also can lift things. She feels the bows are practical and gets that they can be used to take game. The swords and HEMA amuse her though. My title is "Ser Dork" LOL
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christine Hedley wrote:
My gf keeps wanting to use them to cut the vegetables. Other than that, she's not that interested, but doesn't object to me collecting them either.

Not a husband wife or girlfriend statement but I hate when people suggest I use the swords to carve food. I get the suggesting that I carve the turkey some times (not from my wife) Heh, I use a very sharp parring knife mostly, even on the breast meat.

On the other hand cutting up a watermelon can be very entertaining

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Victor Sloan

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My wife likes swords and is fine with the fact that I like swords but sees no reason that I should have more than just a few. Honestly though, I wold potentially only get a few if I had the finances to get exactly what I want.

Maybe though, once we get a bigger place to live and I buy her her own first sword, perhaps she will relax a bit Wink

Looking to start HEMA!
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, my wife prefers the sword collection rather than the gun collection. It's not that my wife is anti-gun, as she'd never be able to live with me if she were. It's just that she views the swords as works of art and historically interesting in ways that guns aren't. I sold off the bulk of my semi-auto rifle collection, and bought custom swords and she likes the swords much more.
A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wives (or husbands) and swords....
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: