Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Is it a bad idea to lay the sword on it's point? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alessandro Petrocco

PostPosted: Wed 17 Sep, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Is it a bad idea to lay the sword on it's point?         Reply with quote

Hi all folks!

I have created a sword stand to expose the sword vertically. I thought to put the sword like the image below, is there any reason to not do it?

Any better solution. I'm afraid to provocate rust or problems if the steel of the fittings will touch the painted wood.

Thanks to all! Happy

Attachment: 26.02 KB
esempioteca.JPG

"There's a beast in every man and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand"
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Wed 17 Sep, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe cut a point-shaped notch in the lower wood and put a piece of felt or wool in that. It looks like a nice design to show off a sword in this way.
Eric Allen

PostPosted: Wed 17 Sep, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd be more worried about the sword falling forward out of the display, unless you include some sort of restraint across the grip.

If you're trying to display the sword vertically, what about suspending it from under the crossguard? Two metal or wood pegs or slight hooks (so it can't slip forward off) spaced just a touch wider than the width at the base of the blade, and set the sword in that?
Tyler Jordan

PostPosted: Wed 17 Sep, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hope you're not somewhere with earthquakes or energetic thunderstorms!
Alessandro Petrocco

PostPosted: Thu 18 Sep, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

the front is made in glass. I used an assembled showcase from ikea. i had to modifì that a little bit but in the end the sword will lay not perfectli vertical but with a little angle of inclination.( Pic1)

I cant display the sword on the crosso guard because the back of the showcase is made in pity stupid pressed cardboard. I don't trust that kind of material so i decided to create something like the Albion LTD wood crate.

I want to put a piece of good chord to stop te possible move of the sword (pic2)

Attachment: 25.41 KB
pic1.JPG

"There's a beast in every man and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand"
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 18 Sep, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it a bad idea to lay the sword on it's point?         Reply with quote

Alessandro Petrocco wrote:
I have created a sword stand to expose the sword vertically. I thought to put the sword like the image below, is there any reason to not do it?

If the sword bends under its own weight when sitting on the point, you'll be storing it bent. While steel is elastic, you don't want to bend it back and forth too much - metal fatigue. If you will take it out often, it'll bend and unbend each time. If you'll handle it less, and it will just sit there, and less problem (in principle, you might worry about creep, but creep will be very slow at room temperature).

If the blade is stiff enough to not bend visibly (or at least, bend very little), then no problem.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
M. Adair Orr

PostPosted: Thu 18 Sep, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You are already running a wood strut from one side of the case to the other. If you just simplify it as a wood stiffener across the case you could embed small steel dowels with upturned ends in it and hang the sword form its cross. I think the sword hanging plumb will look much better, particularly when you consider lighting and shadows.

-Adair

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Is it a bad idea to lay the sword on it's point?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic