Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A Migration Hybrid Seax by Ilya Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 04 Dec, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: A Migration Hybrid Seax by Ilya         Reply with quote

I think it is about time that I introduce Ilya Alekseyev to you folks. Ilya came to demonstrate at our hammer-in in 2011 and pretty much never left. He is a truly talented armourer that has recently expanded into one hech of a bladesmith. http://imakeswords.com/ilya.htm

This piece is his first norse style piece. He mostly likes to work in crucible steel/wootz, so he chose to go that route. This blade is made up of a many different bars. The lighter sections are forged out and folded a few times and gives a more dense pattern to the steel. The middle bars are 400+layers of wootz/1075/15n20. The darker sections of the blade are low layer crucible steel with either one or no folds.

The overall length of this sword/seax is 27.5". The design is his own. A mix of a few different styles.
The fittings are wrought iron with silver wire inlay. The wrought sandwiches antler with brass rivets holding them together. The "pommel" is hand engraved. The handle is walnut with an antler middle section.

for more pictures please visit http://imakeswords.com/ilyahybridseax.htm

For his first attempt at this type of piece, I am quite proud of him. He has a real drive about him and is never scared to tackle new processes. I will be sure to post some of his armour work as it is his true passion.

I should add that this piece is currently for sale.

As always questions and comments are welcome and thanks for looking!

Matthew Stagmer
Maker of custom and production weaponry
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Elliot R.

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello! Is this still for sale? I'm rather interested in procuring a seax for a Rus'/Baltic Iron Age kit, and this is one absolutely beautiful blade. I simply love when one is able to see the subtle nuances in a blade, presenting themselves like the grain in wood. The handle, too, is... well... simply amazing. I would be proud to own such a thing.
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lovely work here from Ilya Alekseyev, reminds me a bit of Petr Florianek & Scott Roush's style.

Thanks, Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.
John Etherington

PostPosted: Tue 02 Sep, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ilya also makes outstanding custom armour made from 4130 steel to casts of the individuals parts. I am the proud owner and user of a set of 14th C Russian cased greaves with knees and a matching set of bazubands with decorative etching that He made and I am in his que for some other pieces. He's a true artist of many talents and no small skill. One of these days I plan on getting a sword made by him as well
armour works. Good armour works good
Tom King

PostPosted: Tue 02 Sep, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Etherington wrote:
Ilya also makes outstanding custom armour made from 4130 steel to casts of the individuals parts. I am the proud owner and user of a set of 14th C Russian cased greaves with knees and a matching set of bazubands with decorative etching that He made and I am in his que for some other pieces. He's a true artist of many talents and no small skill. One of these days I plan on getting a sword made by him as well

I've been using one of his breastplates from a 17th century russian half armor for the last ~3 years with the Adrian empire and exhibition fighting. Even back when he was building armors out of scrap in Chris's backyard metal shop his work was superb. It makes me sad that I've finally completed my 15th century harness

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A Migration Hybrid Seax by Ilya
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic