Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > I need some help Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
William Kennedy II

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: I need some help         Reply with quote

I was giving this sword by an old friend of mine, He didn't have any info on it, but told me his grandfather owned it. Can anyone help me fig. out where it come from or the time period? It means a lot to be, because the owner passed away and he was a really good friend. It has an E P on hilt with a rose, no clue on that that means. There always a name on the blade Sr. (something) no clue cant read

Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi William

Welcome aboard

A society sword of some sort and an almost exacting example shown in the latest "bible" but listed as unidentified. Your's marked to Pettibone Bros. and the book example etched to Greenwood Co. Detroit. Pettibone was a prolific supplier of goods to fraternal orders and sold in bulk to other retailers who then etched their own name.

The sword grip, pommel and blade are identical to the 1860 officer's staff sword used by the US military and many fraternal groups. The guard uniquely unidentified, as of yet. There was an endowment rank of the Knights of Pythias and at first I was reading R instead of P on the guard. The rose is iconic among several groups.

Can you possibly show a clearer picture of the other side of the guard and do so with the grip and pommel up instead of a side view? Always shoot pictures of letters and symbols as one would view them (for instance a unicorn standing upright).

Your sword some time after 1890

You can probably read the sword owner's name better than us trying to see that. Reasearch might be possible with the name.

Cheers

GC

In postscript

It may have been for the early Epworth League item, a Protestant youth group formed in the 1890s. I have seen one other sword, very disimilar, listed to the Epworth Guard with an E-matlese cross-P on the guard. It has been more than a decade since I saw that and have no images.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > I need some help
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic