Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Budget Baselard BuildDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Tom King

PostPosted: Sun 20 Apr, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Budget Baselard Build         Reply with quote

My humble interpretation of the basilard dagger/shortsword. In light of the several masterful threads/projects involved in replicating items of this amazing;y under represented historical period.

Blade is a MLR " arkansas toothpick" blade blank buffed to a satin finish with a hand carved grip and metallic bits made from some 16ga mild steel I had lying around. Project was intended to be a sidearm for a similarly hilted baselard sword I've not bothered to make yet Happy

Whole project ended up costing around ~$30 to make and handily passes the 15 foot test.

Attachment: 157.91 KB
baselard.jpg

Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Tue 22 Apr, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Budget Baselard Build         Reply with quote

That baselard looks stunning!
Anyway Tom, good luck with your next project. Wink

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Apr, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very cool Tom. Cool

I’ve often thought about making something from a MLR "Arkansas toothpick" blade blank and you’ve just proved that a DIYer can have good results!

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 25 Apr, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats to you, Tom! That looks great! It would be cool if you had some WIP pics to share.............McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Tom King

PostPosted: Fri 25 Apr, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
Congrats to you, Tom! That looks great! It would be cool if you had some WIP pics to share.............McM

I wish I had taken some more, but the process was quite a bit of enraging trial and error before I managed to finalize my approach.

The grip was made of 3 pieces of 1/4" thick basswood cut to a profile, then held together via tape as I sanded the grip to shape. The tang slot was made by tracing the tang on the center slat, then removing it with a jig saw. Once it was well flushed out, I used standard wood glue to assemble it. Then came a final sanding and the process of staining. Overall I'd say each grip took at most 3 hours to shape, then about 2 days for the staining and sealer.

The baselard sheath is two 3/16" slats of wood with the blade shape traced and carved out via a dremel router. at some point I may use it as a core for a leather wrapped scabbard, but for the time being it's just stained mahogany.

I did a similar process on a wood hilted shaska build I did soon after that went much smoother. For a sword made from a cut down deepeeka civil war cavalry sword blade with no pommel, it's surprisingly nimble.

Semi related is the CS norsehawk I finally decided to spruce up with the remaining supplies from the baselard build.

Attachment: 177.2 KB
shaska.jpg

Attachment: 198.8 KB
shaska2.jpg

Attachment: 172.02 KB
baselard2.jpg

Attachment: 185.16 KB
baselard3.jpg

Tom King

PostPosted: Sun 27 Apr, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not to bump my own thread too much, but I felt I might as well describe the baselards handling characteristics, since I built this to be something carryable and not just a display piece.

Despite being short sword like in proportions, the blade is near weightless in the hand and wicked fast. A perfect brawling weapon, and easily carried on the hip or harness. I'd say the sword in scabbard barely tips a pound.

Like most windlass blades, getting and keeping it scalpel sharp is easier said than done. Right now it is sharp to the touch, but not a great paper cutter. Ironically enough considering how light the blade is, it excels at heavier targets; Being such a short and stiff blade, it acts a bit like a dagger profiled machete. No doubt it would be devastating on flesh, but I haven't been by the local meat department to film a coldsteel torture test of it yet. The quickly tapering point on such a wide blade makes it a wicked unarmored thrusting weapon. Against layered cardboard it treats it like butter.

After building and testing a baselard, I've developed an even finer appreciation for why the swiss developed such an exceptional CQC weapon. If I was a 16th century pikeman, a compact cut and thrust blade like this would definitely be my go to backup weapon in battle, and my first line of defense it town.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 27 Apr, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your CS Norse hawk looks great too, Tom. I hate that black paint they come with new, Its a royal pain to get off. I wish they would quit using it. The steel underneath looks SO good. Big Grin ...............McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Budget Baselard BuildDIY Project
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic