Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Work in progress My first dirkDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gerry Anderson

PostPosted: Fri 03 Oct, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Work in progress My first dirk         Reply with quote

I just wanted to share my first handle. I am making two Scottish Dirks , one for my Father and one for me.

Attachment: 74.07 KB
IMG_2003.JPG

Attachment: 81.68 KB
IMG_2004.JPG

Attachment: 72.34 KB
IMG_2005.JPG

Attachment: 82.51 KB
IMG_2006.JPG

Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 03 Oct, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is freakin' sweet! Keep us informed!............McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Gerry Anderson

PostPosted: Fri 03 Oct, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
That is freakin' sweet! Keep us informed!............McM

Thanks Mark , This Dirk will have a knife and fork side by side in the sheath , those handles are done also as they were practice for this one. I will post pics of them as soon as I take some at a lower pixel count.
Gerry Anderson

PostPosted: Fri 03 Oct, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are the knife, fork, and second dirk handle

Attachment: 180.39 KB
IMG_2007.JPG

Attachment: 147.86 KB
IMG_2009.JPG

Ryan McLaurin

PostPosted: Fri 03 Oct, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those are gorgeous! I was just about to ask if you carved the handle yourself when I saw the second group of pictures you posted and saw what you started with. What kind of stone is that you put in the pommel?
Gerry Anderson

PostPosted: Fri 03 Oct, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ryan McLaurin wrote:
Those are gorgeous! I was just about to ask if you carved the handle yourself when I saw the second group of pictures you posted and saw what you started with. What kind of stone is that you put in the pommel?

Thanks Ryan , it took me about 4 days to carve, sand, and burn that handle , it's black walnut. The big stone is 170 ct cubic zirconia and the smaller ones are around 30 ct give or take 5 ct. The large setting is the pommel nut also ,I cut it to a 45 degree angle inside and out to get the stone as low as it is.
Gerry Anderson

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: WIP Scottish Dirk handle #2         Reply with quote

WIP Scottish Dirk handle #2 , This is the Official modern Anderson Clan Dirk , it's for my Dad.

Attachment: 341.76 KB
IMG_2021 (800x600).jpg

Attachment: 233.28 KB
IMG_2022 (640x480).jpg

Attachment: 437.32 KB
[ Download ]
Stephen Curtin

Reading list: 18 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 12 Oct, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice work Gerry.
Éirinn go Brách
Gerry Anderson

PostPosted: Sun 12 Oct, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen Curtin wrote:
Very nice work Gerry.

Thank you Stephen , here is where I am after last night. This handle should be done next weekend.

Attachment: 77.66 KB
IMG_2031 (400x300).jpg

Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 12 Oct, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice work. I assume that you have read Vince Evans' book or articles about making this sort of carved handle on a dirk as it looks very much like the style used by Vince.
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Gerry Anderson

PostPosted: Mon 13 Oct, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin Robinson wrote:
Very nice work. I assume that you have read Vince Evans' book or articles about making this sort of carved handle on a dirk as it looks very much like the style used by Vince.

Thanks Lin , These being my first Dirks , All research leads to Vince Evans. I have made 4 previous Bowie type knives but I needed to learn wood carving , wood burning , and silver soldering to make these. I found Vinces' online article about Dirks then purchased both books . The rest of my research was basically looking at Dirk designs old and new. I practiced these newly learned skills until I felt confident enough to start these projects. I'm still working on metal engraving. I don't recall any with the thistle design carved into the grip ,many have them engraved in the metal parts. I didn't want to copy Mr Evans work 100% but I love the leaves under the pommel and the Celtic knots are almost a must for me. Hopefully my work will make Mr Evans proud. Gerry
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 13 Oct, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm sure that Vince and Grace will be happy to see what you have done. They are very nice people.

I got a tool kit and materials together myself but then met Vince and Grace at the 2012 (?) Blade Show in Atlanta, where I got to closely examine one of their dirks. Ordered one on the spot and a year later I bought a sgian to complement the dirk. I don't think I will ever be able to come close to what they - and you - can do with a block of wood and some brass!

What sort of blade are you using or did you forge it yourself?

Any way, I admire your skill and hope you will continue to do this sort of thing.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Richard Eskite

PostPosted: Mon 13 Oct, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Work in progress My first dirk         Reply with quote

Gerry Anderson wrote:
I just wanted to share my first handle. I am making two Scottish Dirks , one for my Father and one for me.

Really like what you've done. Did you make your blades or source them already finished?
Gerry Anderson

PostPosted: Mon 13 Oct, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Work in progress My first dirk         Reply with quote

Richard Eskite wrote:
Gerry Anderson wrote:

Really like what you've done. Did you make your blades or source them already finished?

Thanks Richard , I make my own blades mostly from old files. I made a forge out of an old gas grill and I anneal the files in another old grill body. The blades are just roughed out right now , they will be finished last.
Gerry Anderson

PostPosted: Tue 14 Oct, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin Robinson wrote:
I'm sure that Vince and Grace will be happy to see what you have done. They are very nice people.

I got a tool kit and materials together myself but then met Vince and Grace at the 2012 (?) Blade Show in Atlanta, where I got to closely examine one of their dirks. Ordered one on the spot and a year later I bought a sgian to complement the dirk. I don't think I will ever be able to come close to what they - and you - can do with a block of wood and some brass!

What sort of blade are you using or did you forge it yourself?

Any way, I admire your skill and hope you will continue to do this sort of thing.

Thanks again Lin , I do plan on making more. I actually have another handle that I set aside because I got the edge side too narrow for a strap. When I got the idea to carve a thistle into the handle I tried it on that handle first to make sure it would work and that I liked it. I like it so much it may appear on all my future handles , because I can see it completed in my head. That handle , will be my daughters Dirk with some kind of Celtic heart on the opposite side. I would encourage you to get some bass wood and just practice carving , you can only get better. Is it wrong for me to want to collect my own Scottish Dirks? lol I am also going to make myself a Sgian ,then get a kilt in the Anderson tartan.
Gerry Anderson

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Dads Handle         Reply with quote

Dads handle finished

Attachment: 106.64 KB
IMG_2065 (400x300).jpg

Attachment: 103.02 KB
IMG_2066 (400x300).jpg

Attachment: 82.27 KB
IMG_2070 (400x300).jpg

Attachment: 82.19 KB
IMG_2071 (400x300).jpg

Gerry Anderson

PostPosted: Sun 16 Nov, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Update and WIP Sgian Bubh         Reply with quote

Sgian Dubh and Dirk sheath in progress

Attachment: 81.53 KB
IMG_2112 (400x300).jpg

Attachment: 105.62 KB
IMG_2101 (400x300).jpg

Attachment: 98.82 KB
IMG_2096 (400x300).jpg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Work in progress My first dirkDIY Project
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic