Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Movie: Kingdom of Heaven Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
The Baron's sword looks very similar to Albion's Count/Steward. Given that this is supposed to be close to 1100 A.D., wouldn't this style of fighting and sword have been very rare and radical for that time period?

This has kind of been talked about here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=5751

They weren't common, but more recent research shows longswords were in use in the late Viking Age. If you have a sword, you should have a fighting style to go with it. Happy

Most people agree that they weren't common at all. But pictorial and archeological evidence proves their existence during that time.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Marcos Cantu

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
I did get some enjoyment from the movie, mostly because I was just starved to see anything new with sword play. On that note plus the topic of inaccuracies in the film;

At the early part of the movie there is a "first lesson" in sword play in which the techniques appear to be two handed longsword in Italian/ German. The Baron's sword looks very similar to Albion's Count/Steward. Given that this is supposed to be close to 1100 A.D., wouldn't this style of fighting and sword have been very rare and radical for that time period?

It was also mentioned somewhere (early in this thread maybe?) that Leam Neeson's sword was made longer because he is so tall that a normal length sword looked out of proportion
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
I did get some enjoyment from the movie, mostly because I was just starved to see anything new with sword play. On that note plus the topic of inaccuracies in the film;

At the early part of the movie there is a "first lesson" in sword play in which the techniques appear to be two handed longsword in Italian/ German. The Baron's sword looks very similar to Albion's Count/Steward. Given that this is supposed to be close to 1100 A.D., wouldn't this style of fighting and sword have been very rare and radical for that time period?

I don't know when this style of fighting would have become common, but King Baldwin IV (The leper king) died in 1185 AD, the battle of Hattin and the siege of Jerusalem took place in 1187, 2 years later.
Sam Blanchard

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lloyd Clark wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Of course some of those vikings might still have been pagans at Stamford bridge. So we'd have Saxon christians whupping buttocks on a poor dysenfranchized and misunderstood religious minority. ...
We'd better forget about it. Wink

As one of the disenfranchised and misunderstood religious minorities, I am beginning to have worries about the direction that this thread is taking. While I understand that many feel that the popular press and entertainment industry is out to "revise" history into a much more PC environment (even if they have to go way overboard in their depiction of the "evil" European christians) - a case in point would be the English feelings towards movies by Mel Gibson. Could we keep our discussions here on a "less volatile" level?

The main problem with films designed for entertainment is that they will ALWAYS take artistic license with historical characters for sake of providing a "more entertaining experience." And, yes, there main goal is to put butts in the seats, rather than trying to provide what many of them would disdainfully term a "documentary" experience. To that end, we get gasoline soaked projectiles, fired at night, simply because it looks "cool" (remember the night scenes from Apocolypse Now?

As for movies that I would love to see: Henry VIII as a young king (Cloth of Gold, anyone?); William Marshall; Cornwell's Winter King series (now that would be a great Arthur movie!); Brian Boru; and the story of Cu Cuhulain.

I would love to see the Stephen R. Lawhead "Pendragon Cycle." I'll definitely second the notion of movies from the Irish literary cycles. I'll add Finn MacCool (Fionn Mac Cumhaill) to Brian Boru and Cúchulainn.
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jan, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: kingdom of heaven         Reply with quote

There was done "historical" movie that played fast and loose with the facts...and I enjoyed it tremendously! It was "The Life and Times of judge Roy Bean" with Paul Newman. I would like to point out that the movie said. if this isn't the way it was, then it is the way it should have been>" That sort of thing I can live with. But aside from all of my other complaints, I also thought the movie was dull and boring, and the swordplay really awdful.
Hank Reinhardt
Patty B

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: May 26 release of 4 disc Extended Edition         Reply with quote

Well, it looks like the extended edition is getting a stellar production. This was announced at the DVD Talk forum and the preorder pages are already up at Amazon and DVDPlanet. From the glowing reviews that this EE got for its extremely brief, one theatre run in L.A., Fox should issue a public apology to Sir Ridley and all the cast and crew for the hatchet job they did on every facet of the theatrical release of this movie. Maybe they will dedicate all the profits from this EE release to those whose reputations took such a beating due to the studio's mismanagement. Wink

Quote:
Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut (4 Discs) 23/May/06
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run Time: 191 Minutes
MPAA Rating (USA): R
Genre: Drama

Bonus Features:

Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut features a new widescreen feature, commentaries and tons of bonus features on 4 discs.

Disc 1:
**DIRECTOR'S CUT Part One
*Introduction by Sir Ridley Scott
**AUDIO COMMENTARIES
Director Ridley Scott and Writer William Monahan
by executive producer Lisa Ellzey, film editor Dody Dorn, visual effects supervisor Wes Sewell and first assistant director Adam Somner
**THE ENGINER'S GUIDE

Disc 2:
**DIRECTOR'S CUT Part Two
**AUDIO COMMENTARIES (Continued)
Director Ridley Scott and Writer William Monahan
by executive producer Lisa Ellzey, film editor Dody Dorn, visual effects supervisor Wes Sewell and first assistant director Adam Somner
**THE ENGINER'S GUIDE (Cont'd)
*Story Notes (Text & Images)

Disc 3:
**THE PATH TO REDEMPTION DOCUMENTARY - Part I
DEVELOPMENT
*Part I: Good Intentions (Featurette)
*"Tripoli" Overview & Gallery (Text & Images)
*First Draft Screenplay by William Monahan (Text)
*Story Notes (Text & Images)
*Location Scout Gallery (Images)
**PRE-PRODUCTION
*Part II: Faith and Courage (Featurette)
*Screen Tests (Video and Commentary)
*Cast Rehearsals (Video)
*Costume & Weapon Design Featurette (Video)
*Production Design / Conceptual Art / Costume Galleries (Text & Images)
**PRODUCTION: SPAIN
*Part III: The Pilgrimage Begins (Featurette)
*Creative Accuracy: The Scholars Speak (Video)
*Storyboard Comparisons (Multi-Angle Video & Images)
*Photo Galleries (Text & Images)

Disc 4:
**THE PATH TO REDEMPTION (Continued)
**PRODUCTION: MOROCCO
*Part IV: Into The Promised Land (Featurette)
*Unholy War: Mounting The Siege (Video)
*Storyboard Comparisons (Multi-Angle Video & Images)
*Photo Galleries (Text & Images)
**POST-PRODUCTION
*Part V: The Burning Bush (Featurette)
*Deleted & Alternate Scenes (Video & Commentary)
*Sound Design Suite (Video & Audio)
*Visual Effects Breakdowns (Video & Commentary)
**RELEASE
*Part VI: Sins and Absolution (Featurette)
*Trailers & TV Spots (Video & Commentary)
*ShoWest Presentation (Video)
*Press Junket Walkthrough (Video)
*Japanese & London Premieres (Video)
*Poster Explorations: Domestic & International (Images)
*The Director's Cut & DVD Campaign (Video & Images)

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=455230
Hisham Gaballa

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll keep my fingers crossed then. I have a suspicion though that no amount of re-editing will change the fact that Bloom was totally miscast for his part.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am looking forward to the Extended Edition. Unlike Hisham, I have found that I can tolerate Orlando Bloom's "wooden" performance. It all makes sense, when we keep in mind that (if I correctly understand the EE story line) the character of Balian was actually an engineer. We engineers are often stereotyped as "wooden". Laughing Out Loud

I was recently looking through the special features on the Theatrical Edition DVD. I looked through the "Interactive Production Grid", and found that it includes references to several storylines that will presumably appear on the Extended Edition: the murdered priest as Balian's brother; the 'sheriff' (or whatever he was in the TE) who attempted to arrest Balian as Godfrey's nephew; Sybilla's son and his tragic situation; etc.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Marcos Cantu

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Why is it taking until the end of May?

Even new releases DVDs are usually out 3 months after the theatrical release
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Mon 22 May, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marcos Cantu wrote:
Why is it taking until the end of May?...

Doesn't seem so long to wait now, Marcos. Just one more day.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Marcos Cantu

PostPosted: Fri 26 May, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

omg....it was 1000x's better than the first version! I've watched it twice now just to be sure (its 194 min long, btw)
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 26 May, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marcos Cantu wrote:
omg....it was 1000x's better than the first version! I've watched it twice now just to be sure (its 194 min long, btw)

Not sure that it was a 1000x better.

The history is still bad, but the character development is MUCH better. In this version its possible to actually give a $h!t about some of the people in the film. A much better film than what went to the theaters.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Marcos Cantu

PostPosted: Fri 26 May, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Has anyone seen the section "The Scholars Speak" on the 3rd disk? I know very little about this time period and would like to know what people here think about the opinions that the professors and writers gave.
Jonathan Harton

PostPosted: Fri 26 May, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't say enough about this film. Some people obviously hate it, but anyone who is basing their opinions on the theatrical version needs to see the EE badly. It is amazing to me how much was cut and how GREATLY the production company screwed Sir Ridely and all the actors who put their names and reps on the line for this film.

I really enjoyed the fact that they edited back in several little tid bits that make it all the more historical through creating a more intricate and organic world around the action. EX: In the woods seen there is a cut where one of the men-at-arms is boiling up something that looks like a pasty vineger or some such concoction to clean his maille. The ambush scene is also pleasantly expanded. All this just adds a greater feel of a living world to me. Yes they didn't get the chausses right and a few other things including religious pluralism philosophy etc; However, the extras discs go a long way in explaining why they made some historical alterations. There is a whole mini Doc dedicated to the discussion of the films historical accuracies and inaccuracies and why they did what they did in some cases.

Adding in the whole bit about the son really helped things make more sense as well.

On the whole, I think this film is the most accurate attempt any director has yet made regarding the middle ages and sets a good standard for others to build on. The additions only make it better.
Hisham Gaballa

PostPosted: Sat 27 May, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think I will try it then, only the DC is not out in the UK until September.
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sat 27 May, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I enjoy the Director’s Cut much more than the theatrical release. While the historical facts and characters are still distorted, there is less distortion than before. The restored material makes the story line more coherent and the character motivations clearer. At nearly 200 minutes, though, I understand why the bean counters wanted a shorter version for theatrical release. I have not yet screened "The Scholars Speak" - - I will try to do that in the next day or so.
- Sir Toby Belch
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 27 May, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gayle and I had been waiting and waiting for this to come out. Yesterday (Friday 5/26/06) I went into this thread at 10:30 am, had to take a bath then get our very beloved golden retriever to her doctor's appointment at 11:40. Left the animal hospital at noon. By 12:15 a copy of the extended version was in my hand!

Once again, I have benefitted because of "myArmoury" and all my fellow Knights of this Order!

Sir Robert Burns "The Mad" Laughing Out Loud
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 27 May, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
Gayle and I had been waiting and waiting for this to come out. Yesterday (Friday 5/26/06) I went into this thread at 10:30 am, had to take a bath then get our very beloved golden retriever to her doctor's appointment at 11:40. Left the animal hospital at noon. By 12:15 a copy of the extended version was in my hand!

Once again, I have benefitted because of "myArmoury" and all my fellow Knights of this Order!

Sir Robert Burns "The Mad" Laughing Out Loud

Bob: looking forward to your impressions / review. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sat 27 May, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marcos Cantu wrote:
Has anyone seen the section "The Scholars Speak" on the 3rd disk? I know very little about this time period and would like to know what people here think about the opinions that the professors and writers gave.
In "The Scholars Speak", several historians, and some of the folks involved in the production, discuss differences between the historical record and the film. I have done a little reading on the period, and am no expert. But, for what it's worth, the statements made in this section of the DVD are consistent with my reading. Other comments out there?
- Sir Toby Belch
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 27 May, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Marcos Cantu wrote:
In "The Scholars Speak", several historians, and some of the folks involved in the production, discuss differences between the historical record and the film. I have done a little reading on the period, and am no expert. But, for what it's worth, the statements made in this section of the DVD are consistent with my reading. Other comments out there?

Have not goen through it yet.

Might try tomorrow night...just going to get really, really drunk tonight instead. Big Grin

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Movie: Kingdom of Heaven
Page 16 of 17 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: