Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A question on grip wraps.... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 26 Mar, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: A question on grip wraps....         Reply with quote

I think I remember reading something about this in another thread, so if this is old hash, I'm sorry. Anyway....My question is this.....Other than a complete rewrap , is there any way to turn a black wrap brown? I know that black dye sets in pretty hard. Has anyone done this successfully? I have a couple of swords and scabbards in black that I would love to see go more of a battle-worn dark brown. At this point, I just can't afford to have it pro-done, and my leather working skills are limited. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!...........McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Dean F. Marino

PostPosted: Wed 26 Mar, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've never had great luck COMPLETELY removing black dye from leather. I've had a DEGREE of luck with cheap dye jobs like those found on commercial HT scabbards.

On these, I've been able to remove a LOT of the "dye" (really more like shoe polish) with paper towels & Acetone. IF it works, you'll be left with GREY leather. The only Brown I would then go for is a DARK Brown.

In edhil, hai edhil. In edain, hai edain.
Will S

PostPosted: Wed 26 Mar, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If your leather working skills are limited, they're a tonne more advanced than mine were when I did my first grip wrap. I was over the moon with the result, really proud and it turned a simple windlass into something I really enjoy looking at!

Obviously it may just not be something that you wanna try, but if you're even a tad curious I say go for it! You can remove an existing leather wrap neatly and if it all goes horribly wrong with a new one just glue it back on!

By the way, I used coffee grinds to stain my cheap nasty veg tanned leather when I tried it, and after one wipe with the coffee using a rag, and some beeswax polish I've got a sexy battle-worn, "campaign" Brown, which I love.
Victor Sloan

PostPosted: Wed 26 Mar, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Will S wrote:
If your leather working skills are limited, they're a tonne more advanced than mine were when I did my first grip wrap. I was over the moon with the result, really proud and it turned a simple windlass into something I really enjoy looking at!

Obviously it may just not be something that you wanna try, but if you're even a tad curious I say go for it! You can remove an existing leather wrap neatly and if it all goes horribly wrong with a new one just glue it back on!

By the way, I used coffee grinds to stain my cheap nasty veg tanned leather when I tried it, and after one wipe with the coffee using a rag, and some beeswax polish I've got a sexy battle-worn, "campaign" Brown, which I love.

This is a wonderful idea! Thank you!

Looking to start HEMA!
Dean F. Marino

PostPosted: Wed 26 Mar, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Will S wrote:

And really? I would say this is the BEST advice. You're going to get far better results with a re-wrap. You'll want a little 2 Oz leather - but you won't need much.

This also allows you to really LOOK at the grip core. Was it cord wrapped? How well? Always KNOW your sword Happy.

In edhil, hai edhil. In edain, hai edain.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A question on grip wraps....
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic