Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Anglo-Saxon Swords at Hastings Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
B. W. Butler

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Anglo-Saxon Swords at Hastings         Reply with quote

It's been a while since I really researched the development of the Petersen and Oakshott typologies, but from what I recall the Type X developed in the tenth and eleventh centuries from the classic Viking age Germanic swords, and were known in the Norse world as a gaddhjalt, or "spike hilt". I'm working on some historical fiction spanning from about 1000 AD to 1080 AD, and I'd really like to depict the equipment the correct way. Does anybody have some insight on how widespread this transition from Viking forms was? I'm wondering if the Normans and Anglo-Saxons may have faced each other armed with essentially the same "Norman" type sword.
Stephen Curtin

Reading list: 18 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well AFAIK (and I stand to be corrected) by this time there was no particular Norse, Norman, or Anglo Saxon, styles of sword. Pretty much everyone was using type X's, Xa's and maybe XI's, with tea cosy, brazil nut, or wheel pommels. I'm sure there were some older style swords still in use, but the above types would be the current fashion. Although the long and tapered gaddhjalt style cross was popular at this time, shorter type 1 crosses were also common.
Éirinn go Brách
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Tue 25 Feb, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Anglo-Saxon Swords at Hastings         Reply with quote

No one really knew how do Anglo-Saxon swords used during the Battle of Hastings look like. Look at the swords wielded by the reenactors at the yearly Battle of Hastings reenactment in Battle Alley, England, below.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Anglo-Saxon Swords at Hastings
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic