Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Something funny a friend told me. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Thu 20 Feb, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's fun to have swords, at least when the zombies come you don't have to worry.
Robert Brandt

PostPosted: Thu 20 Feb, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Swiger wrote:
1. The media will publish stories of nut jobs with swords in the national media.
2. Recent waves of violence in the schools, federal facilities and others.
3. People working for the Federal Government from many different walks of life where they feel anything having to do with weapons, hunting and the like are absolute barbaric hobbies.
4. Federal employees who have never worn a uniform.
5. Federal supervisors caving in to every complaint from a minority of the workforce because almost nobody has the guts to stand up and call them out for stupidity.

I remember being in the Army for 25 years and people having offices with war souvenirs, swords and everything on the walls. It was normal.

The reason I just don't push back is because these interesting people can get you fired. All they have to do is say I feel threatened because Bill brings weapons into the office. He does not think the way I do and is now dangerous and has a means to hurt people - no kidding. Maybe he will have an episode of PTSD and go nuts. Wink Just like anything else these days, we have to compensate and coddle the few who think they are special for whatever reason.

I feel for you Bill. I work for a law enforcement agency and you'd think that would temper the PCness of the environment, however, I have been part of two separate management discussion where we actually debated whether the operational staff should be required to wear a jacket at all times so we didn't make administrative staff uncomfortable by exposing them to the sight of the firearms we are required to carry. Not out on the street, in our own offices. Fortunately, the cuddle police didn't carry the day thanks to a large majority on the part of the gun carriers, but it was alot closer than pure "party lines" would have suggested. My suggestion that maybe those that were uncomfortable had chosen the wrong work environment was not well received.

Back on topic, I have lots of swords and armour in my office, and think little of it since it's a paramilitary environment. But even among gun carriers their reaction is often one of considerable surprise that anyone would collect swords. People temper their reactions in an office envirmonment, but my read on people's initial reactions has them falling into two distinct camps. Those that find the hobby cool, and those that see it as absurd or immature. Sadly, the ones who are interested usually feel compelled to touch the blades over and over while we are talking. I keep few sharps out so I just bite back a cringe and try to remember to wipe them down after they are gone. So far I haven't come back to find any of my co-workers playfully sparring with one another, but it will happen eventually. Boys will be boys.

History was certainly far more complex, varied, and intriguing than the blanket of generalities that we so often lay over our handful of surviving data points.
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 20 Feb, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Why do they always want to touch the blades? Laughing Out Loud
Non Timebo Mala
Michael Beeching

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 21 Feb, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Swiger wrote:
If I had to pinpoint the problems:

1. The media will publish stories of nut jobs with swords in the national media.
3. People working for the Federal Government from many different walks of life where they feel anything having to do with weapons, hunting and the like are absolute barbaric hobbies.
5. Federal supervisors caving in to every complaint from a minority of the workforce because almost nobody has the guts to stand up and call them out for stupidity.

I remember being in the Army for 25 years and people having offices with war souvenirs, swords and everything on the walls. It was normal.

The reason I just don't push back is because these interesting people can get you fired. All they have to do is say I feel threatened because Bill brings weapons into the office. He does not think the way I do and is now dangerous and has a means to hurt people - no kidding. Maybe he will have an episode of PTSD and go nuts. Wink Just like anything else these days, we have to compensate and coddle the few who think they are special for whatever reason.

I've dealt with minor little things like this before as well. I am confident in stating that the media imposes a rule-by-fear environment upon the populace, who then impose it upon themselves. The implement for doing this is weaponized ignorance. And, if the sentiments endowed by this implement are challenged, those challenges are dismissed, for... to question anything? Heresy!
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Fri 21 Feb, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Beeching wrote:
William Swiger wrote:
If I had to pinpoint the problems:

I've dealt with minor little things like this before as well. I am confident in stating that the media imposes a rule-by-fear environment upon the populace, who then impose it upon themselves. The implement for doing this is weaponized ignorance. And, if the sentiments endowed by this implement are challenged, those challenges are dismissed, for... to question anything? Heresy!

Well, as of right now crazy people tend to go out in ablaze with samurai swords. Take UK for example.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Something funny a friend told me.
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: