Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Making wedge riveted mail Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ruaraidh C

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Making wedge riveted mail         Reply with quote

Hi there. New member, my first topic. I've been making butted mail for quite a while now however I realise it is inferior to wedge riveted mail in terms of: comfort, protection and most importantly, authenticity. So I'd love to start making some wedge riveted mail as I've recently joined a reenactment group. I have considered buying it, but I have the time so why waste the money? Plus I get a buzz from wearing something I've made myself.
I would value information from people who have handled authentic wedge riveted mail, or who make it themselves. Particularly regarding European wedge riveted mail, and the dimensions including thickness, the length of overlap where the rivet goes (I've hammered a few rings but I don't think I've made enough overlap), and anything you might think is relevant. I have an anvil and hammers, and a drift, in addition to the equipment I use to make butted mail. The wire I use is 14 gauge and my mandrel creates rings with a 1/4" ID.
My personal interest is 15th century English armour so information on this would be particularly relevant, although I understand examples of English armour are incredibly rare. Anything regarding 15th century mail from across Europe will still be greatly appreciated. I also understand there is still a great variety of mail even within this period. Happy
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You will find some image that may be useful to you here. http://www.pinterest.com/samuraiantiques/european-mail-armor/

Ruaraidh C

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Eric. "Following" the board now, it's a great resource Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Making wedge riveted mail
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic