Studded shafts?
While my Wife and I were examining some of the arms and armour at the Metropolitan Museum of Art yesterday I noticed a few things about the pole arms. Some of the partzans, glaives and pole axes had studs mounted along their shafts. Now I realize that this is obviously functional and meant for better gripping it also adds to the aesthetics of the piece. Much of the collection may have been used for ceremony and parades since they are often seen guiled in gold or pierced to a degree where it might compromise strength and function. I wonder if this method of adding studs to the shaft was used more widely on functional pieces and in particular on hunting spears. I wish to do something like this on my new Arms & Armor freidrick IV spear but only if it stays within historical probability.

Any comments wouild be greatly appreciated :D
I'm no expert, but I've seen pics/illustrations of it being done on other pole weapons and axes, generally for a better grip so you don't drop it.

The American Indians in the 1800s did the same thing on all their weapons (even rifles) for better grip and for decoration too, usually with brass tacks or studs.

I would think on a polearm it'd be a personal thing, if the guy wanted them, he did it, if he didn't, no.
I would just be carefull to not cause the shaft to crack by just hammering studs in.

Don't know how it was done historically or how it should be done but I would pre-drill the holes with a slightly undersized bit and maybe add some epoxy cements to the hole and back of the stud or tack before driving it in, whipping away any excess cement with a rubing alchool soaked tissue. (I find that I can dissolve any excess before it dries this way and not have to scrape or sand it away later after it dries.)

Should also prevent the tacks from working loose through vibration.

Might ask Craig at A&A about the historical accuraty of doing this and his opinion on how to do it best.

Hope this helps.
Here's my two cents: on all the polearms I've seen that have their original haft, studs are pretty rare in the first half of the 1500s. After that they become increasingly common, along with various cloth coverings and tassels. Sometimes only the upper half of the haft was covered and tacked, sometimes the whole thing, sometimes you see the nails but no covering.

And frequently the studs are set in various patterns, so you don't just see plain lines of tacks going up the shaft.

--ElJay
E.B. Erickson wrote:
Here's my two cents: on all the polearms I've seen that have their original haft, studs are pretty rare in the first half of the 1500s. After that they become increasingly common, along with various cloth coverings and tassels. Sometimes only the upper half of the haft was covered and tacked, sometimes the whole thing, sometimes you see the nails but no covering.

And frequently the studs are set in various patterns, so you don't just see plain lines of tacks going up the shaft.

--ElJay

I agree that tacks seem to appear on later pieces along with various other additions as you say. That's why I would hesitate to do it unless it's historically accurate. Of course there's obviously not many examples of spear shafts that we can base our assumptions on.

What I've seen usually incorporates patterns.
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
I would just be carefull to not cause the shaft to crack by just hammering studs in.

Don't know how it was done historically or how it should be done but I would pre-drill the holes with a slightly undersized bit and maybe add some epoxy cements to the hole and back of the stud or tack before driving it in, whipping away any excess cement with a rubing alchool soaked tissue. (I find that I can dissolve any excess before it dries this way and not have to scrape or sand it away later after it dries.)

Should also prevent the tacks from working loose through vibration.

Might ask Craig at A&A about the historical accuraty of doing this and his opinion on how to do it best.

Hope this helps.

Well, the studs or tacks that I've seen in stores usually have a very small nail to attach them so I doubt I'd crack the shaft. A little epoxy sounds like a good idea though.

Anyway, I won't do anything until I'm sure. I'll probably talk to Craig this week.

I've done a friends Winchester 30-30 lever action (also wrapped sinue around it with eagle feathers) with the brass studs you can buy and it didnt have an effect to the wood. just tap them in slowly and be careful not to tap the shaft cause it'll leave a nasty/ugly dent in the wood. plus if its an Ash shaft the grain is long and straight plus its not fine like other woods so it shouldnt be a problem.

Also I wouldnt epoxy, to keep them in the stock I done I just soaked a good amount of oil into the wood and it will swell around the studs...they aint going anywhere and it will lengthen the life of the shaft :)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: