Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show us your light brown "campaign worn" Albions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Show us your light brown "campaign worn" Albions         Reply with quote

Hello all, I'd love to see photos of your Albion swords with the light brown/ campaign worn grips. These seem to be by far the least frequently purchased grip color from Albion, at least as far as what I see represented on this forum and others, but it is very appealing to me. You'll get bonus points if you can get me a photo of a Sempach with a grip this color. I know there is one floating around out there because I saw an old thread where there was a Sempach with campaign worn grip for sale...but the photos had been removed.

In fact, since the Sempach will be my next Albion, feel free to include photos of it with any grip color. Big Grin
This thread will be for light brown grips and/ or the Sempach.

Thanks in advance!
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is my Sovereign, with a light campaign brown grip, and with an Albion Campaign scabbard (with a somewhat tarnished bronze pommel).. The brown on that grip is probably a little darker that the usual Albion Campaign Brown.

Attachment: 98.52 KB
Sov9s.jpg

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know if they call it "campaign worn" anymore or just light brown. It seems less mottled than it was in its earlier days.

Here's my Gaddhjalt with light brown grip.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like this grip color. I think it looks great, maybe not on all Albion models, but certain ones it really works well IMO.

Senlac

Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm sensing a pattern here... Sorry, I don't have any good pics, but my Reeve is in light brown.

I find the color works well on the "Viking" and early High Medieval swords. The richer colors seem more fitting for the later swords, but the brown's are perfect for swords of this period.

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Kirk R

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The light brown / campaign worn grip is awesome -- my favorite! I like the uneven light brown with the darker brown splotches. I do have a Sempach in this color, but no camera. I'll try to get a friend's camera on Tuesday and post pics for Mr. Smith.
Greg E

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now that Gaddhjalt is a looker in light brown. If you guys keep posting these my wallet is going to get lighter.
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk R wrote:
The light brown / campaign worn grip is awesome -- my favorite! I like the uneven light brown with the darker brown splotches. I do have a Sempach in this color, but no camera. I'll try to get a friend's camera on Tuesday and post pics for Mr. Smith.

I'm going to hold you to it Kirk! Big Grin

Great looking swords gentlemen! Please keep them coming. I've had two black gripped Albions, and currently have a Knight with the darker brown grip. I actually like the brown grip on my Knight because even though it is the dark brown color, it is also a little mottled, which I think adds a lot of character. That said, my next Albion is for sure going to have a light brown grip, I'm just loving the look of these. The unfinished steel color and light brown handles just really have a clean and business-like look to them.

It's funny how tastes change over the years with swords. In the few years since I've started getting interested in Albions, I've gone from only liking black grips to now preferring other colors instead...I used to despise curved cross guards, and now I quite like them (as long as it's a gentle curve)...I used to only like wheel pommels and now I like the slightly more "interesting" styles of pommel, etc. I really loved the looks of my Crecy, but for a two handed (or bastard) sword, I want a blade that can be used with half-swording techniques. From the sounds of it, the Sempach and Landgraf might be about the best half-swording swords in Albion's line-up.

Last edited by D. S. Smith on Sun 22 Sep, 2013 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Sun 22 Sep, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk, I forgot to add...feel free to write down your thoughts on the Sempach. I've read every review and comment I can find on the sword online, and just can't get enough. More photos and more reviews are always nice when you have your eye on something.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 23 Sep, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D.S.

Interestingly, like you, I wanted to order a Sempach, only in my case, it was a few years back. I too, initially, wanted to have the Sempach in a light brown grip. I thought it would be a great colour for the sword.

But when I looked at the von Danzig image of Johannes Liechtenauer: http://www.ironcrown.us/wp-content/uploads/20...nauer1.jpg, and the sword in the background that's a bit like the Sempach with it's narrow blade and a reddish grip, I suddenly realized that red would look a lot better. With a sword as elegant and graceful as the Sempach, campaign brown was just a little too plain. Campaign brown is perfect for many swords, but it just isn't the best match for the Sempach.

Consequently, when I placed an order for the Sempach, I ordered it with the red grip. And, I've never regretted it. Just the opposite; it's hard for me to imagine having it in another colour now.

Just thought I'd share...
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Mon 23 Sep, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I appreciate the insight Craig. I was hoping you'd chime in on this thread since I know you speak highly of the Sempach. I've read a number of your comments on the sword and they have helped affirm my desire for it.

I'm sure that what you and Robin say makes sense, light brown seems more like a color from earlier and more simple eras than the regal Sempach. But fortunately (or unfortunately as the case may be), my interest in swords is almost entirely from a fictional/ fantasy interest. So I'm not limited by constraints such as appropriate color for a period, or even appropriate scabbard styles for a period. I simply get to pick what I like the looks and feel of best. Big Grin ...And I really like the light brown color grips.

I would be far more inclined to agree with you if I was going with the Landgraf. The Landgraf seems like such an elegant sword that it could only be at home with a nice flashy grip of red, royal blue, forest green, or some such. But the Sempach has a simple (yet classy) enough look that I could see a more earthy/ warrior-like color working just fine for it. In fact the only real complaint I have with the Sempach is the plainness of the grip. I really wish that Albion had gone with the cord pattern on the Landgraf, with the two additional cords in the middle of the grip. The Sempach is a very simple looking sword, and I think long grips are broken up nicely by having an extra cord or two in the middle. That's what I liked about the Crecy.
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Mon 23 Sep, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Albion Knight arming sword and Albion cruciform (quillon) dagger.

Chad Arnow wrote:
I don't know if they call it "campaign worn" anymore or just light brown. It seems less mottled than it was in its earlier days.

Funny story - I didn't realize that "light brown" = "campaign worn," so when the weapons arrived I was initially quite unhappy with the "shoddy" workmanship of the mottled grip stains. Silly me.

Attachment: 201.14 KB
[ Download ]
Kirk R

PostPosted: Tue 24 Sep, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Mr. Smith. I got my friend's camera, and as promised, here are the pictures of my Albion Sempach with its light-brown campaign-worn grip. For me, the color has to fit the character of the sword. To use cars as an example, I would want a red Ferrari, but I would rather have a color-neutral BMW (e.g., gray or black).

The Sempach seems somewhat sophisticated with its narrow blade and refined features, hence, I like it with the light campaign brown. I was also lucky enough to pick up Patrick Kelly's Albion Barron. That sword is big and powerful -- all business. Therefore, I really like the baron in black. I don't have a Regent (yet), but with its fancy fish-tail pommel, I think it would look good in red or another "flamboyant" color.

On a side note, I had to drop the resolution of my images from 2650 pixels down to 550 pixels before myAmoury would allow me to post them. The pictures show both sides of my grip, and accidentally, also my bare feet.

Attachment: 237.08 KB
Sempach-22 (scaled).JPG

Attachment: 241.02 KB
Sempach-11 (scaled).JPG

D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Tue 24 Sep, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Kirk, you're a good man for going through that effort to get pics up. I appreciate it. I like your analogy of the cards for colors of the sword grips, and I totally agree with you (I like BMW's in gray). Laughing Out Loud

Your Sempach looks phenomenal with the campaign worn grip. I think I'm starting to see the variation between old mottled grips and the newer "light brown" which are more solid in color, like the difference between Harry's dagger and sword.

I like both the solid as well as the mottled. If I had to pick a favorite I actually prefer the older mottled look better. But I'm sure with a bit of love and wear, any grip could look more like that.
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jan, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I liked my Albion "campaign worn" so much that I re-wrapped my Del Tin in "campaign worn."

(Sorry I know it ain't an Albion, but it is inspired by Albion...)

Attachment: 91.86 KB
IMGP1320 - Copy.JPG

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show us your light brown "campaign worn" Albions
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic