Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion's PrincipeProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 16 Dec, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

Quote:
I'd ask for another sword to be made and shipped to me. Upon receipt, I'd ship the one I already owned back to them for them to do with as they please.

That would alleviate some of the hassles and all of the risk involved.

The grip is a big focal point and differentiator to me.

Truthfully, this was an option I hadn't considered as I find it a bit unreasonable. I really never thought of it. On the other hand, that's exactly what's going to happen, so kudos to you for the idea. Mike was adamant about having the sword returned. I tried to emphasize that it wasn't a deal breaker for me. This is an extremely interesting piece and the overall details outweigh the grip change. I only mentioned it to him so the guys in the shop could use it as a learning experience. It made it through the process without anyone catching it, so it is a point of embarrassment for everyone. I also consider it a stroke of luck when an item arrives undamaged by one of our commercial carriers, so I'm loath to have an item making multiple trips. Too much like poking the bear with a stick in my mind. I suggested Albion knock the price down a bit so all parties involved could feel as if it had been taken care of in some fashion, but Mike stated they don't want an "oddball" sword floating around. I can understand that. So a new one is being made with the correct grip and I'll send this one back when it arrives.

That makes sense to me and really goes to my reasoning being my "accommodating" comment.

I've always said:

Shit happens. That's life. It's the manner in which we handle the situation that defines us.

The take away here is that Albion's customer service is still top-notch and they stand behind their products.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 16 Dec, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

That makes sense to me and really goes to my reasoning being my "accommodating" comment.

I've always said:

Shit happens. That's life. It's the manner in which we handle the situation that defines us.

The take away here is that Albion's customer service is still top-notch and they stand behind their products.

Agreed on all points.

I can't think of another industry where I could report a problem with a product, state I'm going to hang onto it until I receive another one, and actually have that happen. Hence my "unreasonable" statement. So it never really crossed my mind to ask. If they're willing to go that route I'm perfectly happy with that. In the end I also might be a bit hesitant to send this one back because it is such a neat sword. It's a unique piece in the production field and I guess I don't want to let it go once I've had my hands on it. Big Grin

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jan, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Update.

The new Principe arrived about ten minutes ago. (with a prepaid shipping label)

The blades finish is improved, being Albions typical satin finish without the striations of the first blade. As you can see, the grip is the correct corded design. There's absolutely nothing to complain about with this one. Thanks go to the folks at Albion for a very quick turn around. Mike was very adamant about getting me the right sword, and the guys in the shop were embarrassed by the mistake and wanted to make it right. Kudos to the peeps in New Glarus for an excellent product and outstanding customer service. I also owe Nathan a nod of thanks for prodding me into returning the original sword. I was happy enough with the original that I would have kept it without much worry. Still, as much as I liked the original I like this one even more. The grip does add quite a bit to the swords aesthetic appeal.

Jim B Williams

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jan, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Albion's Principe         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

My last point concerns the blades finish. The sword arrived with a finish on the blade that was a bit below what I've come to expect from Albion. There were no serious grinding marks and the central ridge is nice and straight, but there were quite a few lengthwise striations in the blades final finish. I know Albion has recently been advertising for new blade grinders so perhaps there are a few new employees on the back end of the learning curve. This wasn't a serious defect and nothing fifteen or twenty minutes with a piece of grey scotchbrite and oil didn't cure. Still, with a sword at this price point where in the process should that have occurred, on my end or Albions? I think we all know the answer there.

I just received a Steward last week with similar issues, plus the blade wasn’t particularly sharp. Very impressive sword and all, but the finishing left much to be desired at this price point, particularly the bevel which is very noticeable and the blade sharpness which is not what I consider sharp. It makes sense now that I know Albion has new grinders in house.
Mir Jaffer

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jan, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, sorry to butt into the conversation, but I was planning on getting a Principe( in no small part due to this review), and was curious if there is anything I need to clarify with Albion before I order, especially with the issues with the grinding as noted above. I am not too obsessive myself, but this is intended to be a gift to someone who is, so I don't want to mess up! Any advice would be greatly appreciated- thanks!
Josh S

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jan, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mir Jaffer wrote:
I am not too obsessive myself, but this is intended to be a gift to someone who is, so I don't want to mess up! Any advice would be greatly appreciated- thanks!

That's one hell of a gift! Can I be your friend? I can be pretty obsessive too, if that helps Wink
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jan, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mir Jaffer wrote:
Hi, sorry to butt into the conversation, but I was planning on getting a Principe( in no small part due to this review), and was curious if there is anything I need to clarify with Albion before I order, especially with the issues with the grinding as noted above. I am not too obsessive myself, but this is intended to be a gift to someone who is, so I don't want to mess up! Any advice would be greatly appreciated- thanks!

I don't think you need to be overly concerned. The guys in the shop were pretty embarrassed by the screw up on the grip and the blade finish was the first complaint I've ever had with an Albion in that regard, that's in more than ten years of dealing with the company. They were very adamant in having an opportunity to make it right and did so quite expeditiously when given the chance.

Jim B Williams

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jan, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I let Albion know about the finish issues and Mike Sigman told me I could send it back with a note and they would take a look. I just wanted them to know as an FYI and I did not want to risk a two-way shipping. I'm sure the two issues brought up on this thread are anomalies.
Mir Jaffer

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jan, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had an opportunity to correspond with a couple of folks at Albion,and am impressed by their professionalism and courtesy. I wanted to thank all of you here at myArmoury as well, for enabling me to make a decision so easily. Looking forward to my Albion!
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 01 May, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I received my Alexandria yesterday and love the sword. Mine also has a rather unsatisfactory finish on the blade as well. Some visible sanding marks and some bright spots where the finish is not uniform. Not a deal breaker but not the usual quality finish I have received on my other 30+ Albion swords.

Beautiful sword regardless of the imperfections.

Non Timebo Mala
Tom Sasser

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Considering a Principe         Reply with quote

I am considering a Principe as my primary "GO TO" sword for HEMA cutting and general bottle culling Happy

How well does this sword work with the Liechtenaur tradition?

Does it work for half-swording at all?
Hector A.

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering a Principe         Reply with quote

Tom Sasser wrote:
I am considering a Principe as my primary "GO TO" sword for HEMA cutting and general bottle culling Happy

Not the best for liechtenaur, not the best for bottle cutting, not the best "go to" sword, its a very specific war sword.
I would gladly suggest you some swords, but i would have to know more about you and your routine.
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://youtu.be/kxYHVQoV0UM

http://youtu.be/-8l4_ew-1Sw

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person

O====[::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and tho’
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

—Alfred Lord Tennyson, Ulysses
Tom Sasser

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Considering a Principe         Reply with quote

Hector A. wrote:
Tom Sasser wrote:

Not the best for liechtenaur, not the best for bottle cutting, not the best "go to" sword, its a very specific war sword.
I would gladly suggest you some swords, but i would have to know more about you and your routine.

I train with Jake Norwood at Capital KDF. I have been doing this for less than a year. What other questions do you have since I am not sure what you need?
Mike Ruhala

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know Jake and my first suggestion would be ask him what he thinks. Other than that a XVa, XVIa or XVIIIb would be a bit more typical for his approach than an XVIIIc. The Principe does have hilt features that are very good for KDF but the blade width is going to inhibit shortening your sword so you'll have to adjust your tactics somewhat and there's a few techniques that might be difficult to train. That's not the end of the world though, you'll always have to adapt to your weapon's specific configuration and KDF gives you the tools to do just that.
Tom Sasser

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Ruhala wrote:
I know Jake and my first suggestion would be ask him what he thinks. Other than that a XVa, XVIa or XVIIIb would be a bit more typical for his approach than an XVIIIc. The Principe does have hilt features that are very good for KDF but the blade width is going to inhibit shortening your sword so you'll have to adjust your tactics somewhat and there's a few techniques that might be difficult to train. That's not the end of the world though, you'll always have to adapt to your weapon's specific configuration and KDF gives you the tools to do just that.

This is the problem with Internet buying: the sword isn't available to swing around a bit. I guess I'll either love or hate The Principe. The safe choice would be to buy either a Sempach, Talhoffer or Crecy. Those three are good, but 'meh' to my eye. The Principe is dramatic, as are the swords with a stark triangular blade. I'd skip all those for a Brescia Spadona, but I don't want to spend that much.

Besides, I have an ATrim AT1555 War's Lady with 39" blade and "Durer" style-ish shape. I'm looking for one that is not so...floppy and ugly. It sounds like a Mercenary or Constable is a better choice, despite being 33" blades. I had the A&A Spada de Zogho and it was quite short. It required really good fencing skills.

I wish Albion would show up to Longpoint 2015 with an example of every sword they have and a few of each to sell Happy I'd leave with a Sherriff, Soldat and a longsword.
Hector A.

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom Sasser wrote:
Mike Ruhala wrote:

This is the problem with Internet buying: the sword isn't available to swing around a bit. I guess I'll either love or hate The Principe. The safe choice would be to buy either a Sempach, Talhoffer or Crecy. Those three are good, but 'meh' to my eye. The Principe is dramatic, as are the swords with a stark triangular blade. I'd skip all those for a Brescia Spadona, but I don't want to spend that much.

Besides, I have an ATrim AT1555 War's Lady with 39" blade and "Durer" style-ish shape. I'm looking for one that is not so...floppy and ugly. It sounds like a Mercenary or Constable is a better choice, despite being 33" blades. I had the A&A Spada de Zogho and it was quite short. It required really good fencing skills.

I wish Albion would show up to Longpoint 2015 with an example of every sword they have and a few of each to sell Happy I'd leave with a Sherriff, Soldat and a longsword.

A regent sounds like it would fit the bill for you, long, easy to halfsword, excellent for german longsword... Eyes closed man, go for it.
Tom Sasser

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hector A. wrote:
Tom Sasser wrote:
Mike Ruhala wrote:

A regent sounds like it would fit the bill for you, long, easy to halfsword, excellent for german longsword... Eyes closed man, go for it.

The Regent looks great, but for $1,600 shipped, I may as well save more for the Brescia Spadona. But, I'd rather keep the price around $1k. Do you have any other recommendations in that price range?
Hector A.

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom Sasser wrote:
Hector A. wrote:
Tom Sasser wrote:
Mike Ruhala wrote:

The Regent looks great, but for $1,600 shipped, I may as well save more for the Brescia Spadona. But, I'd rather keep the price around $1k. Do you have any other recommendations in that price range?

Hard to say, a 1k sword that doesn't look "meh" (by meh i assume simple) and that fits german longsword all the while cutting bottles well.

I would exclude long XVa the thickness and taper makes them not that great at bottle cutting especially in the last third of the blade, but they are fantastic at halfsword. The short XVa's are great little cutters and fit your price point: Constable, Mercenary and Castellan.
Other blades closer to 1k than 2k are the Earl, pretty much same as the regent but with less blade presence.(a good choice as long as your enjoy the look). It cheaper than the Principe you where interested in Wink.

But if i where you and was going to take this seriously, i would save up for the Brescia, you can't do any better for your training and bottle cutting ( its also excellent vs tatami and flesh targets ).

Tell me if this helped you.
Mike Ruhala

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For $1,100 the Talhoffer or Ringeck with half-wire waisted grip would be a visually attractive era-appropriate choice and an awesome fighting weapon. The downside is they aren't as well suited to the cutting feats that seem to be prevalent in competition right now.

Obviously Albion is the dominant sharp brand in HEMA by far and I've had the chance to try a lot of their swords but I'm actually giving Arms and Armor's Durer a chance right now. The basics are there, with a few modifications I think it could be a real contender.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion's PrincipeProduct Review
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: