Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Asking Opinions of Hanwei Lowlander Greatsword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Tue 26 Sep, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Asking Opinions of Hanwei Lowlander Greatsword         Reply with quote

I realize this is not exactly a high level quality sword but it's supposed to be 5160 tempered steel, I can get it for $269.95.
The sword overall size is 68 1/2 inches with a 48 inch blade and weighs 6 lbs. 14 oz. I was kind of thinking of it as a slaughter all, destroy all, fun sword. But I am wondering if the sword is even worth it?

I was wondering if some of my fellow Knights of the Sword could give me some advice on this one?

Any help, criticism or advice, good or bad is most appreciated!

Thanks Much!

Bob
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 26 Sep, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is mine: http://www.myArmoury.com/swor_casi_low.html

Bob, I bought mine for $120 on eBay through "Grendal's Cave." They're listed right now for around $185 through another vendor.

They're probably worth it, but no more. I wouldn't buy it again. It's big and awkward. It's not worth $270 at all. You can get so many better things for that price.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Tue 26 Sep, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks so much Nathan! I just found this link. http://www.myArmoury.com/swor_casi_low.html
Which gives your usual excellent photography. So basically it's just a big clunker of a sword and that $270.00 I could put towards that Sparth Axe I've been wanting from Arms & Armor for such a long time, which except for the Knightly Pole Axe will complete my Arms & Armor Axe collection, since I have the Danish War Axe, the Hungarian Axe and 2 of the Viking Throwing Axes.
Good advice Nathan and I thank you! I was going to put this thread in this category but was not sure if the sword merited to be listed among historical arms. Laughing Out Loud

Sorry about that one! Big Grin

Bob
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 26 Sep, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do not know how much I got it for as a gift but I have found it a faily good sword. I cut through a good half dozen plus of so ribs on a side of beef hung up by some hooks for test cutting. I also was able to cut carpet tubes up with nice cuts to them, not great tears. Part of the problem likely you will have is the way the hilt is put together is npt so hot. The blade is nice but the screw pommel is not so cool and their is a rat tail on it. I figure I will make some small modifiations on it once I have a forge up and working again to repair these weaknesses but I would pay around 200 may be more for it without to much hesitation. Once you get around 300 plus though....

Nathan have you had any problems with it aside from its size? I just figured once a sword gets to be the same height I am then it is desitned to be somewhat awkward to use in certain places. I found it a nice weapon and when test cutting with it was impressed by the effect it pulled.

RPM
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 26 Sep, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
Nathan have you had any problems with it aside from its size? I just figured once a sword gets to be the same height I am then it is desitned to be somewhat awkward to use in certain places. I found it a nice weapon and when test cutting with it was impressed by the effect it pulled.

It really has no dynamics. As you mention, the tang isn't sturdy. The blade isn't stiff enough to really be used in a polearm fashion. It's not that it's whippy or has sag--both these qualities are often present in original two-handers--it's that it literally wobbles uncontrollably when in motion I've cut with mine, too. It did fine with one large swing, but I couldn't imagine actually trying to maneuver with this thing as I've done with other two-handers. It's a weird sword. Looks cool on a wall, though, and for that it's a still at under $200, IMHO. It comes with a nifty wall-hanger, too.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Randall Moffett wrote:

It really has no dynamics. As you mention, the tang isn't sturdy. The blade isn't stiff enough to really be used in a polearm fashion. It's not that it's whippy or has sag--both these qualities are often present in original two-handers--it's that it literally wobbles uncontrollably when in motion I've cut with mine, too. It did fine with one large swing, but I couldn't imagine actually trying to maneuver with this thing as I've done with other two-handers. It's a weird sword. Looks cool on a wall, though, and for that it's a still at under $200, IMHO. It comes with a nifty wall-hanger, too.

I would respectfully disagree with you on the qualities of this sword. I have sold a number of them and so far everyone who got one has been satisfied. I have demostrated their use a number of times ( no cutting demos, because I do not encourage the average person who happens to buy one from me to do that ). For a mass-produced sword it is excellent and the price is good. I have found it "easy" to swing and recover. The tang is sturdy enough, although certainly swinging this sword into a large object may result in bending. I have never experienced the wobble you mention.

LR

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Stephen D. Sharp

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Personally, I like this sword (not the CAS version, too long, poorly balanced, awkward, and too heavy Worried ). I have wanted one for a couple of years but, the CAS version is NOT very accurate from the pictures of the real ones that I have seen Blush . The photos that I have seen of antique are shorter and much nicer even in their decayed state Eek! . (now that is my opinion) I hope Albion puts one in the works someday. I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Idea Oh, there is a Sotheby's photo on this site of the REAL thing if you are interested in seeing the authentic. Cool If I had the cash, I'd buy over a recreation anyday. Unless, of course, Albion works its magic and can recreate it. I am sure they can; is just 'if' and 'when' Idea .
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin Robinson wrote:
I would respectfully disagree with you on the qualities of this sword. I have sold a number of them and so far everyone who got one has been satisfied. I have demostrated their use a number of times ( no cutting demos, because I do not encourage the average person who happens to buy one from me to do that ). For a mass-produced sword it is excellent and the price is good. I have found it "easy" to swing and recover. The tang is sturdy enough, although certainly swinging this sword into a large object may result in bending. I have never experienced the wobble you mention.

LR

I would strongly disagree with your disagreement. In my hands-on experience I've never found a Hanwei produced sword of the european design that I would consider adequate, let alone excellent. Selling a number of them simply means you've found customers. It's not an indication of the swords quality. Hanwei heat treatment is erratic, ranging from adequate to substandard and hilt assembly typically ranges from subpar to outright dangerous. I don't think Bobs use of the sword was appropriate for the design but this does not excuse the swords faults regardless of the price.
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I paid close to $200.00 for the sword. It had about a 3 hour life span once in my hands. Laughing Out Loud I got some whacked out ideas Idea and whacked at them and so ended the life of the sword. Evil Laughing Out Loud

And there hung the lifeless sword, blade dead on the ground broke at the hilt. R.I.P.

Bob
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob, to echo what was said in another topic, I think you could make a nice project blade out of this. You have that big ricasso from which you can cut out a nice tang.

Attachment: 12.25 KB
casi_lowlander_project.jpg

Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Lin Robinson wrote:

LR

I would strongly disagree with your disagreement. In my hands-on experience I've never found a Hanwei produced sword of the european design that I would consider adequate, let alone excellent. Selling a number of them simply means you've found customers. It's not an indication of the swords quality. Hanwei heat treatment is erratic, ranging from adequate to substandard and hilt assembly typically ranges from subpar to outright dangerous. I don't think Bobs use of the sword was appropriate for the design but this does not excuse the swords faults regardless of the price.

Patrick...

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. No factory-produced blade is ever going to adequately compare to a custom-made sword. For the price, I still think it is adequate and a good buy for the average person who is interested primarily in display and not use.

LR

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
No factory-produced blade is ever going to adequately compare to a custom-made sword.

I disagree, but quality doesn't come cheaply.

Quote:
I still think it is adequate and a good buy for the average person who is interested primarily in display and not use.

I agree.
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Quote:
No factory-produced blade is ever going to adequately compare to a custom-made sword.

Patrick...

As a retailer of swords, I am always interested in opinions on factory-produced blades, which are what I sell, not custom blades. Could you recommend a "mass-produced" blade or blades that you think represent the highest-quality available?

Thanks

LR

Lin Robinson

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin Robinson wrote:
Could you recommend a "mass-produced" blade or blades that you think represent the highest-quality available?

Sure. Big Grin

Albion: www.albion-swords.com

In my opinion Albion offers the best total package in terms of aesthetics, handling, construction, etc. I feel they're the best swords in the production field and better than many of the custom pieces I've seen, in terms of historic form and function. If you really want to gain insight into what the medieval sword was really like they're about as close as you're likely to get, other than going with a select few custom makers.
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick...

Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with the company but don't think I have ever actually had the opportunity to examine their work. I have heard good things.

LR

Lin Robinson

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin Robinson wrote:
Patrick...

Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with the company but don't think I have ever actually had the opportunity to examine their work. I have heard good things.

LR

Lin,
We have product reviews galore (166) on our reviews page with more pictures and stats than you'll find anywhere else (including nearly 3 dozen reviews of Albion's products). We also have many more pictures, descriptions and stats of modern replica arms & armour in our collection galleries. There is so much more to this site than just these forums; this is likely the most comprehensive source of information available on the modern replica weapon. The forums are but one component of that. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Albion Swords         Reply with quote

Chad...

Thanks. I have visited this site numerous times and been a member for awhile now, just not posting. I think it is a remarkable repository of information and have been most everywhere in it. My interests are kind of narrow so I had not actually looked at many reviews on Albion products, but will certainly do so. I appreciate the comments on my posts and the advice. It is good that we have this place to discuss and learn from others' experience and points of view. I hope to be an active participant as time permits.

LR

Lin Robinson

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin Robinson wrote:
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. No factory-produced blade is ever going to adequately compare to a custom-made sword. For the price, I still think it is adequate and a good buy for the average person who is interested primarily in display and not use.

To be clear, are you saying that factory-produced swords at this price level are merely display items and not appropriate for other purposes?

For the CASI Lowland Greatsword, I agree fully. This model is only appropriate for display, be it on a wall or carrying around at a Renaissance fair or something. This opinion is not what you have stated on this forum before, however, so I'd like some clarification on this issue.

Thank you in advance for indulging me.

---

As noted above, many production houses exist that compare favorably to a great number of custom swords, if not the top-end of the custom market: Angus Trim, Arms & Armor, Albion Armorers, Armour Class, amongst others. While none of these are large outsourced factory operations, and each have average prices higher than such operations, they each have a catalog of pre-defined production offerings for sale. Products from each of these makers compare favorably against such companies as CAS Iberia, Windlass, etc., but more to the point, are appropriate for using in ways beyond just display.

Bob Burns

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scene 2. Take 2. OK I am replacing the Lowlander next week. No more whacking pieces of wood with it! Laughing Out Loud

Bob
Steve Halston

PostPosted: Sun 21 Sep, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin Robinson wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Quote:

Patrick...

As a retailer of swords, I am always interested in opinions on factory-produced blades, which are what I sell, not custom blades. Could you recommend a "mass-produced" blade or blades that you think represent the highest-quality available?

Thanks

LR

I can recommend a few.

Del Tin, Generation 2, Arms and Armor, and Windlass Steelcrafts all make Western swords that are pretty good. My favourites so far are Generation 2, and my top favourite is Windlass Steelcrafts. Windlass makes a huge range of medieval weapons, and although they've come under fire in the past because or production problems, the kinks have largely been worked out and not only is the temper of the steel great, but the swords are also lightweight and maneuverable. You can also look into a Canadian company called Darksword Armoury.

Now the rest is up to you. Your customers will love the merch.Happy

Tempered steel and tempered spirit are the foremost attributes of a man at arms.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Asking Opinions of Hanwei Lowlander Greatsword
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: