Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Examples of this pictured helmet? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 23 Dec, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Examples of this pictured helmet?         Reply with quote

The following are plates from the 1459 Talhoffer fechtbuch. In the armored section, these harnesses are being worn. I was wondering if anyone knew of any actual examples of these helmets, or had any information about them? The style appears to be a sallet, but I have never seen this type of visor outside of pictures, except for on later period helms.

Also, any ideas as to whether there is a horizontal eyeslot above the visor, or if it's only the vertical ones? One picture appears to only have the vertical slots, one looks like it may possibly have the horizontal one as well.

Attachment: 11.34 KB
armor1.gif

Attachment: 8.17 KB
armor2.gif

Attachment: 6.92 KB
armor3.gif

David R. Glier

PostPosted: Fri 24 Dec, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

a late example of a sallet with a puff-and-slash visor with either a tall segmented bevor or a short siege buffe?
Brian W. Rainey

PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To my knowledge, that style of helm only exists in literature/art.

Robert W. Reed Jr. is writing a paper as we speak on early sallets (1410-1460) with unusual visors that will be published under the Armour Research Society.

I am not sure if he is covering this style of open visor, but some of his sources show a similar falling bevor in conjunction with what appears to be rounded and pig-nosed bascinet-style visors.

Brian W. Rainey
Armour Research Society
Journal of the Armour Research Society
brian@armourresearchsociety.org

Last edited by Brian W. Rainey on Tue 28 Dec, 2004 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian, I'm glad you posted that, as I was wondering why I was having such difficulty finding an example.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 28 Dec, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian W. Rainey wrote:

Hi Brian,
That's very interesting. Out of curiosity, is there a reason you say it only exists in literature/art as opposed to saying we just don't have any surviving samples? Is there something about the helmet that makes it unrealistic?
Brian W. Rainey

PostPosted: Tue 28 Dec, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Brian W. Rainey wrote:

Hi Brian,
That's very interesting. Out of curiosity, is there a reason you say it only exists in literature/art as opposed to saying we just don't have any surviving samples? Is there something about the helmet that makes it unrealistic?

Let me clarify:

To my knowledge no EXTANT examples exist today. The only known evidence of that style (and others that are similar), to my knowledge, is in artwork.

I guess it could have existed... the only thing that looks odd is the "falling buffe" style chin protection. That is a much later design, rather than an early 15th century invention. However, the look of what we know as a "falling buffe" could very well be a standard bevor in that picture. Who knows.

It is my personal opinion that that helm would have had a solid bevor. As for it being unrealistic, nothing in the drawings tells me that the helm itself would not work. One thing to keep in mind is that the reference is a manual for sword play, not armour... so there was probably more attention paid to other aspects, from the artists perspective.

Brian W. Rainey
Armour Research Society
Brian W. Rainey

PostPosted: Tue 28 Dec, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Brian, I'm glad you posted that, as I was wondering why I was having such difficulty finding an example.

Keep looking, you might find one. I know for a fact that I have not seen ALL the extant 15th century examples in the world. I doubt any single person has.

Brian W. Rainey
Armour Research Society
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 28 Dec, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Brian!

Brian W. Rainey wrote:

One thing to keep in mind is that the reference is a manual for sword play, not armour... so there was probably more attention paid to other aspects, from the artists perspective.

This is an interesting point for us as modern interpreters to keep in mind. I overall agree, though I do think most of these manuals are surprisingly accurate on a general scale. Both weapons, armor and clothing all show a good amount of detail. Talhoffer, for instance, depicts combatants with both rondel daggers as well as ballock daggers, showing that attention was paid to the diversity of weapons.

It's the minor details, however, where you tend to find artistic interpretations. I've seen more than a few manuals that show armored combatants standing in ways that aren't actually possible for the style of armor they are wearing (unless the armor were made of rubber!), and this is probably for the sake of making the intentions of the actions clearer. So, just as Brian says, we do need to keep in mind what the artist was trying to do and balance that out what we know before making our interpretations.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Examples of this pictured helmet?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic