Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Julio Armenteros - timeseller swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 03 Oct, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Julio Armenteros - timeseller swords         Reply with quote

The timeseller, the biggest Spanish reenactment retailer has been briefly discussed in another topic that led me to browse their website. They are renown to be quiet cheap, but they offer a wide range of product, ranging from entry level to high quality.

They work with a smith named Julio Armenteros, and I'm quiet impressed with some of his work (I think that's the best repro of the sword of Santa Casilda I've seen so far).

http://www.thetimeseller.com/list/213/0/2/1/2/Armenteros.htm

A few picts below:

edited as I messed up my initial pic upload.
That longsword does look like an ugraded tinker Hanwei. Very slender and elegant too.

Last edited by Julien M on Thu 03 Oct, 2013 11:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Thu 03 Oct, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've worked with TimeSeler on a festival project and he's a nice knowledgeable guy. Its nice to see swords coming out of Spain that are not just for the tourist market, thanks for posting the pics.
Julien M

PostPosted: Thu 03 Oct, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

this is quiet nice too! Not by Armenteros but made by FLAGELLUM DEI.

Anyone handled one of these? Never heard of them.

Attachment: 16.57 KB
pl_1_1_743.jpg

Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Thu 03 Oct, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Julien ,Mark,
I agree it's really good to see real Spanish swords again,
but looking at a few example's of Julio's work I think they look a little expensive for the standard, not to be unkind but as a comparison, this one,
http://www.thetimeseller.com/product/4202/0/0...a-1460.htm
looks good initially,
but on the close ups not so tidy,
it translates to over £600 before post,
a couple of years ago,Mark Vickers had one of these on his stall at Coventry, the grip was black horn, flawless lines and finish, the same guard and pommel in steel but coated gold, (same coating used on those posh drill bits from memory)
hollow ground blade, stunning piece of kit, and £250-300,
I still regret not buying that sword to this day, Sad
add in that Rob at Castlekeep can make a fantastic sword for the mentioned £600 figure,
I cant speak for Todd or Owen for sword pricing but have seen a lot of Todds stuff at the show's and again it's well ahead,
i'm sorry to be a little harsh, but I think something is missed at those price figure's,
Julien M

PostPosted: Thu 03 Oct, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lee O'Hagan wrote:
but looking at a few example's of Julio's work I think they look a little expensive for the standard

Well I just spent quiet a bit of time browsing the site. Price range varies considerably. I agree regarding the top end, especially that Italian fishtail does not hold very well to a close examination.

Other Armenteros seem like a decent buy at a price tag of 300 euros (the crusader type sword I posted above), same for the FLAGELLUM DEI above, under 300 quids. Just read around and it seems their sword can be a hit and miss, with quality control and heat treatment issues (has nothing to do with Julio's work though).

Other items from the timeseller (again not Julio's work) seems downright cheap, like the Danish two handler below (300 mark also).

Found Maciejowski Falchions around 100 as well, pretty good buy for the money.

I have a sword By M Vickers which I hold as my best. I find him to be very price competitive given the quality of his work.
Owen and Tod are also in a league of their own.

Just browsing around really, always nice to discover new makers.

J

Attachment: 31.35 KB
pl_1_2_6477.jpg

Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Thu 03 Oct, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi J,
Yep gotta agree always good to see new makers, more so with the many years of the Spanish market being the top end to the lower end display swords we all got used too,
Julio is definitely on the road to putting them back on the map,
some of the piece's on the site look good value,
the first one you posted
I may be wrong,but i'm wondering if Julio has been doing the initial Windlass piece to go into production, the same sword at KOA was a windlass that looked nigh on the same, could be wrong of course,
apart from that,
I probly linked to the worst one of the bunch as a lot of the others look pretty nice,Wink
that's probly more the annoyance of not buying Marks kicking in again, I remember following your thread on yours from Mark too, nice sword,
best,
lee, Happy
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Tue 03 Dec, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Julio Armenteros - timeseller swords         Reply with quote

The Sword of Santa Casilda looks nice, especially the red leather handle and wave-like patterns on the pommel. Wink

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Patrick De Block

PostPosted: Tue 03 Dec, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

May I also draw your attention to this thread? Not everything from TimeSellers is made by Julio Armenteros. But maybe that is the thread you are referencing?

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...armenteros
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Tue 03 Dec, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Julio Armenteros - timeseller swords         Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the info.

Julien M wrote:
They work with a smith named Julio Armenteros, and I'm quiet impressed with some of his work (I think that's the best repro of the sword of Santa Casilda I've seen so far).

Its certainly much nicer than the new Windlass version, but have you seen this one? http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=29238 Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Julio Armenteros - timeseller swords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic