Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Cost of Custom Swords & Armour Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: The Cost of Custom Swords & Armour         Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'll try posting this question here and if it belongs elsewhere then I'm guessing it'll wind up there Wink .

What is a ballpark range for custom swords and armor? I'm not asking for specifics, just a range. I've been looking at several sites recently and am kind of surprised by the prices I've seen. Especially for japanese blades [although these almost always com with a scabbard so that kinda makes sense].

So, what would a good custom sword (say a schiavona) run speaking in ballpark figures? I realize this might be kind of a delicate question, but I'm kind of trying to plan out my collecting strategy. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the info. Cool

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Cost of Custom Swords & Armour         Reply with quote

Nate C. wrote:
Hello all,
I'll try posting this question here and if it belongs elsewhere then I'm guessing it'll wind up there Wink .

Hi Nate.. rather than guessing, please just read the descriptions for each forum and put it where it belongs. The descriptions are pretty distinct. If you're talking about arms or armour, antique or reproduction, of a historical nature, as opposed to fantasy, then put it in the "Historic Arms Talk" forum.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since the custom sword business is estentially a private industry makers can charge whatever they want. There's really no hard and fast rule or standard.

To get a valid answer to your question you're going to have to be more specific. What type of sword? Made of what type of materials?, etc.

Or you can ask us on an individual basis what we're willing to pay for a given sword. We all have different standards and limits, makers and customers both.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know about swords, but as a jouster, I can tell you bunches about armour.

Depending upon what you kind you want, what metal thickness you want, and the amount of detail you want a custom suit of 16th century "plate" armour will run you between $4000 (Jon "Shark" Perry) and $75,000 (Robert MacPherson).

One tip I can give you is to "shop around". Go to the links section here and take a look at what is out there. Run a search for armouries and armourers and look at their stuff and compare prices.

A bunch of very nice armour is coming out of the Ukraine and the Czech Republic at very reasonable costs - but all armour, especially a suit that is made without you being present to try on each individual piece, is definitely a buyer beware situation.

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello again,

Patrick,
Yeah, I see your point. Let's say for the sake of argument that I want to get an accurate replica of this cutlass Big Grin or a mid-range (complexity) schiavona [type 2a let's say].

Lloyd,
Yikes Eek! ! That $75,000 one could put you in a Mercedes! I never realized that armour could be that expensive. I've only seen stuff in the 4,000-7,000 range although, I'm not exactly an armour expert.

Nathan,
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure if the money issue fitted with the historical arms theme. Although, when you think about it, Knights had to provide their kit too.

Keep the info coming.

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From what I've been able to gather, in the European market it looks like about $1,000 is a reasonable estimate of the cost of admission. Keep in mind that this ballpark figure is a rough starting point for price and the most well known smiths and most complex pieces can and do command much more.

This brings up a very interesting discussion I had at the local ren faire last year. The short of it is that the quality and artistry of the current "semi-production" companies/makers is getting to a point where one really has to begin taking a long, hard look in deciding where one's dollar goes. What I mean is that the top end of production pieces is starting to come in line with what one could expect from a custom commission and the lines are getting a little blurred.

Let's take the Albion Svante for example. I think it safe to say that one could take the price tag for Svante and instead get a very nice piece of custom work from a few different and known names. But I would comfortably challenge someone to hold it in his/her hands once and then try to convince yourself you are NOT holding a custom sword. . .
Errol Chua

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nate,

I am assuming that you mean "custom" Shiavona because you haven't seen one, that you like or in general, for sale, in the United States anyway, and have to resort to getting one custom made, just so it'll be like the Shiavona you like (I know the feeling). Anyway, depending on what you want to use it for, I have two options for you to consider:

1) Del Tin of Italy
This is the way to go if you want the sword for SCA/reenactment use; Del Tin blades are legal in most SCA Kingdoms. And, if you don't want to use it blunt, the way it comes, just sharpen the blade. The cost of shipment for one Schiavona sword to here by DHL is euro 75,00, The schiavona sword cost euro 437,00. The total would be about euro 512,00, about US$588 (last I checked). Prices as quoted from Del Tin themselves via email.

http://www.deltin.net/i5.htm <--- On this page somewhere in the middle

Only problem is that it'll take about 7 to 9 months to arrive.

2) Museum Replicas Ltd
The reviews on this weren't that bad... but it is half the price of the Del Tin, so I guess you get what you pay for. I, personally, wouldn't get the MRL Shiavona unless I was going to change the blade to a more reliable one (for reenactment). Of course, this changes the balance, stregth, function, etc, but it'll still look pretty good, imho. Anyway, MRL makes two designs of Shiavona, and they are about US$235 each:

http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/showpr...osition=13

http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/showpr...Position=5

There is a review here, that might help:
http://www.myArmoury.com/review_mrl_schia2.html

I hope that I was helpful, good luck. Happy
K. Schall

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a question about not so custom swords. I have been thinking about purchasing a sword, but I would like to have some words engraved on the blade and possibly a coat of arms say on the handle. I don't think this would be to much trouble to do, but in genral would it cost a lot more to have it done.

I do realize of course that each smith would set their own cost, just looking for some general information.

Thanks
Jeff Hsieh

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello K,

You should look at Christian Fletcher's website. He does exactly this kind of work with Angus Trim and Albion blades, both of which are producers of high-quality Medieval swords.

www.christianfletcher.com

"Tuitio fidei et obsequium pauperum."
- The Knights Hospitaller, 1130 AD
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another excellent source for this kind of work is Art Elwell.

www.a-work-of-art.net

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Cost of Custom Swords & Armour
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic