Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Crusader Sword or 17th Century? Need information Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jacob J

PostPosted: Fri 01 Nov, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Crusader Sword or 17th Century? Need information         Reply with quote

A friend of mine acquired a sword years ago from an Arab in Jordan in what was then Palestine, near a desert area. At the time, this sword was full of rust and no visible features as a sword till he cleaned it. Definitely an authentic peace, NOT a reproduction.
My problem is this. While when I saw this I immediately told him it's a Crusader sword, tower, lion etc. but then, I saw on the net a post that if there's a number on the handle (which there is a "100" on the tower side) then it could be from the 17th Century. A big difference!
I am therefore enclosing picts and letting the members on this site give me their educated guess as what this could be.
The sword measures 28 inches and weighs 1170 grams.
Let me hear from you!

Attachment: 97.94 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 77.27 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 115.87 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 94.44 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 65.71 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 73.72 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 80.6 KB
[ Download ]

jj
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 01 Nov, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can tell you now...it's NOT from the Crusader's era. It looks to be modern made. I hope not much money was exchanged. McM
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Fri 01 Nov, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jacob,

Certainly a pretty curious thing.

No crusader sword ever had a solid cast brass hilt, guard and pommel as one. The style all points to much later than possibly even the 17th cent. Swords don't get numbered till way after the medieval era and then they would have been stamped, engraved or painted on. Casting a sword hilt with a number on would give you many all the same so not much use in identifying a specific sword. Its possibly a foundry pattern number but its a pretty obvious one, they are usually better hidden than that so why the 100 is anyone's guess.

The blade has the wrong profile for a medieval sword and to be honest, of most 'practical' swords. Its obviously lost its tip, who knows why. It doesn't look like its ever been sharpened in any way. Its complete lack of a practical guards means its not anything you'd want to use as a sword.

It might be some kind of ceremonial item but more likely some kind of tourist or decorative one and that would put it much later so my educated guess is late 19th onwards.

No doubt someone elsewhere has got something similar in their records and will back that up.
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Fri 01 Nov, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It may be a 19th or early 20th century military sword, such as a pioneers/artillery sword, that has been modified (i.e. the blade tip profile).

Although this is purely speculative since these symbols are so common; the design of the castle (central gate, two windows, three turrets) and rampant lion, closely resemble those found on the Spanish flag. I'm currently looking up swords issued to Spanish pioneers/artillerymen/drummers etc, to see if any match.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Neil Melville

PostPosted: Fri 01 Nov, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with all the above. Definitely not mediaeval, most likely 19th century (or even a later tourist souvenir), but as to its place of origin I have no idea - not seen anything to compare it to. Sorry.
Neil

N Melville
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 01 Nov, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Ian. It appears to be a 19th century military sidearm missing its guard and a portion of its tip.
Iagoba Ferreira

PostPosted: Fri 01 Nov, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As Ian's points, there are several Spanish "cousins" of this weapon...no exact match, but...
http://www.vicentetoledo.es/es/espadas/machetes-y-dagas-militares

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Crusader Sword or 17th Century? Need information
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic