Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Italian Rapier vs. German Longsword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 20 Dec, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
We discovered that if Capo Ferro and Musashi had fought, they both most likely would have died.

And George Silver, watching, would have let out a tirade about teachers of false fights and their double kills. Big Grin

While the contest between some weapons appears to be too close to call (such as this one, though Silver would have called it), there are other matchups in which the advantage is clear. I don't think anyone doubts that, barring a great imbalance of luck or skill, a man with an eight foot spear would mop the floor with an opponent wielding a one handed sword, rapier or otherwise, and would have decent odds against two foes so equipped.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 20 Dec, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:

And George Silver, watching, would have let out a tirade about teachers of false fights and their double kills. Big Grin

Heheh, ah, good ole' George. Big Grin

Actually, as I mentioned before, we had almost no double kills. I will certainly admit, however, that there's no telling what could have happened after one person struck the other in real life.

I very much agree with you that there are some weapons that have the obvious advantage in an otherwise "fair" fight. One on one, a spear user has the advantage over a longsword. Pressed group combat, on the other hand, changes the dynamic, and that's why so many weapons existed for war time. A spear is also a little impractical to carry around as a civilian.

Though Tom Leoni was once telling me of a Bolognese treatise (I can't remember which one) which was describing halberd being used in a civilian setting against multiple opponents. The method wasn't too unlike shooting pool very rapidly. Happy
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 20 Dec, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Barris wrote:
Discussions like these are inevitably futile, since individual skill seems to play the biggest part in determining victory.

Absolutely. Though I don't know if I would quite use the word futile, because as you say, it's fun. It actually was a great personal experience for us, though, as fencing with a familiar style against an different one really forces you to remember the things you thought you knew. You use the same techniques, only now you have to say, "How would Master Ringeck teach me to deal with this situation?"

Quote:
If we could pull a Bill and Ted and go around gathering past masters..

EXCELLENT! (Just ignore that and move along.)

Quote:

Incidentally, a kendoka friend of mine and I tried once to answer the rapier vs. katana question one fine San Diego afternoon when we were in college. He wore my fencing gear, I put on his kendo armor and we proceeded to cause each other pain for the better part of an afternoon.

Sounds familiar. Happy I would say, though, that this isn't quite the same thing, as epee and Kendo are have certain sport regulations. A Kendokata armed with a shinai doesn't attack the same way that one would with a katana, an epeeist doesn't use the same strategy a duellist would, etc. I've done epee vs. kendo for fun before, and I could hit my partner many times without getting hit, but this was far more to do with the fact that they are two completely different sports than any martial reason. It would be like saying pitting a soccer player and a basketball player together to see who would win. Both use similar equipment, both have similar intentions (to get the ball into the opponent's area) but both have completely different rules. Just my thoughts, anyway.

Quote:
Accusations of heresy?

Heretic!

Well, you did ask. Wink

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Italian Rapier vs. German Longsword
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: