Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Eagle Headed American Swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 21 Aug, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Eagle Headed American Swords         Reply with quote

A quick hello and thanks for the invite.

I have often wondered if there is a good dissertation, available online, regarding the evolution of the eagle head hilted swords of early America.

Most of what I've gleaned has been from antique dealer sites, as well as Mark Cloake's pages. Is there other info out there?

I've got to run off to chore land but I'll be back to look around.

Cheers

Glen
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 21 Aug, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Glen,

Glad to see you here. Unfortunately, I have absolutely nothing worthwile to add to your posted topic. Just wanted to say hi. Sorry.

Constant and true.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 21 Aug, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Eagle Headed American Swords         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
I have often wondered if there is a good dissertation, available online, regarding the evolution of the eagle head hilted swords of early America.

Most of what I've gleaned has been from antique dealer sites, as well as Mark Cloake's pages. Is there other info out there?

As much information that is available on-line, it's scarce compared to what can be found in books. Admittedly, my knowledge of that era of subject-matter is splotchy, and the on-line references that you cited are the only ones that I remember off the top of my head. I'm sure there's many more, but nothing that jumps out at me now.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 21 Aug, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yup, books seem like the way to go. I'm going to have to save some budget for books.

It really does seem to be a fairly small window of study, something that came and went in a matter of decades. I'm not sure we could call these the first, truly American, swords but it certainly was a trend.

Any thoughts on the best publication for information on American makers for the first half of the 19th century and the last of the 18th?

Cheers

Glen
Scott Bubar

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2003 4:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen, there's a nice line-up of books on this subject at the Internet Sword Collectors Site, many of which are on my "get around to it someday" list.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Scott!

It's funny how links get misplaced sometimes. I knew I had seen a list of books on a page.

The Mowbray title looks like exactly what I need. I'll have to order it up.

Cheers

Glen
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sometime during the past dozen years I developed an ocd regarding eagle pommel swords. A chaotic disorder of image harvesting commenced. Hundreds of examples, thousands of files. None meant for general publication without permission but rather a study tool.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9AOFMA8y3ODRHZJOXJ4dG5tYWs&usp=sharing

Misplaced examples (sometimes purposefully), non eagle swords and even jewelry. Far from done with winnowing the wheat from the chaf, I went ahead and uploaded the mess for any to view. my acquisitions have slowed down, as I found examples I was looking for. One remains to be found but maybe down the road.

www.oldswords.com is another more organized way to browse early modern swords.

I tend to concentrate on swords from the American Revolution through the War of 1812. Most of my own eagles are on this rack

Cheers

GC

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Eagle Headed American Swords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic