Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > if swords weren't the primary weapon why so much focus? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
S Ott

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: if swords weren't the primary weapon why so much focus?         Reply with quote

I've only begun into looking into historical weaponry and fighting, but it seems to me that most people agree that swords were more of a secondary weapon behind spears,polearms and arrows. But it seems like little is discussed on the use or qualty of spears, pikes and other primary weapons. And when was a sword used in battle was it just for close range when polearms lost their advantage. I hope I don't sound sarcastic. I am a newbie
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Probably because since ancient times the sword has been venerated not just for its qualities as a weapon but for its symbolic qualities as well. A sword has been seen as a status symbol, a badge of rank and has been imbued with warrior qualites by many cultures since ancient times. The sword was venerated in medieval Europe and probably even more so in medieval Japan as an embodiment of warrior virtues. Since that time a great deal of mythology and romance has grown around swords. No one beats their plowshares into spear heads... Happy
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Patrick Kelly

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Saying that a sword was a secondary weapon is perhaps being overly simplistic. It may not have been the first weapon used in the opening phase of an engagement, but it was hardly a secondary or second class weapon. I think a more accurate view would be of the sword as part of a complete weapons system. Different weapons for different uses and applications. In that sense nothing has changed over the centuries. In many cultures and time periods the sword was the constant companion of the warrior class. This can't be said for other weapons.

Why the focus on the sword? There is undoubtedly a sense of romance and mystique about the sword that other weapons don't have. I think we're all attracted to that. If we're approaching the issue as one of practicality and effectivness I'd have to ask "why?". I have plenty of weapons that I approach from a practical viewpoint but their all of .45 or .30 caliber Big Grin

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As Russ and Patrick say, there is a mystique about the sword, a veneration that just isn't there with most of the "primary" weapons of any era. It's rather like with the handguns which replaced the sword as a sidearm: no one in his right mind would carry a pistol into combat in preference to a rifle or other long arm, but there is a real attraction to them that most people of the Warrior bent (and plenty of others too!) find difficult to resist. It's not just fashion, but something visceral about their presence, and their attraction. Perhaps it's the idea of the closeness of combat with sidearms, or the more personal aspects of combat with such arms, or the more personal aspects of the arms themselves, or something totally beyond me, but it's a fascination that holds LOTS of folks in thrall, including me.

Besides, swords are just a whole lot cooler than spears. Big Grin

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
S Ott

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I understand that. I'm looking to purchase my first sword and I hope to start collecting, depending on how my wife feels about it. I was always under the impression, perhaps from hollywood, that the sword was the principal tool of armed combat. Though I guess now, I'd like to have a spear also.
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:

I agree with what Russ and Patrick says; the mystique and symbolism are considerable factors. But the spear was regarded as a noble weapon in Germanic societies, and all through history, it has been a faithful compainon of the fighting man. The spear/lance was used by samurai, crusaders, Napoleonic hussars, and so on. It was not regarded as obsolete until the First World War, so there's a few millennia worth of history there.

My sword site
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 5:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:

Gordon

What Bjorn said, and a bit more:

Many of the famous sagas go into a lot of detail about the spear fighting, here including not only the viking era sagas and the Irish stuff, but also remmeber the spear-intensive portions in the Illiad. Since this was "high entertainment" in period, I don't think we can say the contemporary peoples found spears to be mundane or boring...

Added to this are very few schools training in historically accurate WMA spear fighting,a nd spears are virtually unkown in Holloywood now except as thrown weapons. So basicallyt hey don't get the "press" to generate a "coolness" following Happy

A nicely done spear is quite elegant in its own right, but very, very few production reproduction spears out there are done in an historically accurate manner. Maybe seeing a few really nice custom spears woudl at least moderate your perspective *g*

N

Attachment: 19.28 KB
fe0aff5c.jpg

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wonder if part of it also has to do with what has been preserved. There's a big "gee whiz" factor when looking at an ancient sword even if the grip is missing. However lookat at an ancient spear head with no shaft... well..
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I suspect the modern fascination with swords are beacuse of hollywood. How many got interested by seeing some film when they were kids? We don't use these things any more so we can just buy based on the image in our minds.
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Björn Hellqvist wrote:
Gordon Frye wrote:

I agree with what Russ and Patrick says; the mystique and symbolism are considerable factors. But the spear was regarded as a noble weapon in Germanic societies, and all through history, it has been a faithful compainon of the fighting man. The spear/lance was used by samurai, crusaders, Napoleonic hussars, and so on. It was not regarded as obsolete until the First World War, so there's a few millennia worth of history there.

Bjorn, I fully understand your argument here, and that indeed there is a long and honourable history for the spear/lance, and in fact such weapons are, and always have been, a whole lot more effective than mere swords. Just as a rifle is a heck of a lot more effective a weapon for modern combat than a handgun, a spear or lance is a more effective weapon for combat "armes blanche". But for some reason they don't have the mystique, which is the basis for my statement.

Anglo-Saxon, Frankish/French, Visigothic/Spanish, Arabic/North African cultures all sing praises to the Sword (as do many Eastern cultures as well), but little to individual spears or lances (at least that I am aware of). Those objects, like modern rifles, seem to be seen as more mundane killing machines rather than objects of veneration, for whatever reason. Getting to the "why" of that is pretty much why I ventured into this thread.

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:
Anglo-Saxon, Frankish/French, Visigothic/Spanish, Arabic/North African cultures all sing praises to the Sword (as do many Eastern cultures as well), but little to individual spears or lances (at least that I am aware of).

Well, the Vikings knew about Odin's spear, Gungnir, and I'm sure that there are a few more mytical spears out there. One reason why the sword was more veiled in mystery was the fact that it was a more advanced weapon, production-wise, and hence an object that showed the status of the owner. In a time where every free man owned a spear, a sword was another thing entirely, expensive as it was.

My sword site
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey guys...

I am sure Dr. Freud has an opinion on this... Eek! . Yet aside from that, we should also consider that the sword, while maybe secondary in terms of it's "back-up" weapon status, it was primary in its importance as the last line of defense (other than running away really fast). When you got down to going for your sword you realized how important its function was in terms of staying on planet earth a little longer. This fact might engender some place of honor and prestige.

Also swords are much easier to wear around town than other weapons. With a nice fashionable scabbard with up-to-date fittings, a sword knot, maybe some sword stones, a ring on the pommel, maybe with a peace band... Yes it all could work well together to give a rather nice understated ensemble that would draw special attention to your particular social, military and financial status. And, at the same time, act as a foil for a nice set of armor or a tunic of the finest samite. Fashion should never be underestimated Happy A nice sword, scabbard and baldrick combination can make quite a statement.

I also like Russ' statement on the organic components. Not only that they would survive for museum displays but they would survive in better shape to be passed on from generation to generation thus collecting the aura of nostalgia as the ancestor's that owned them become more and more heroic with each retelling of their deeds.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
R. Laine

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To be honest, it is a bit silly in my opinion to state that a sword was a "secondary" or "less effective" weapon when compared to, say, the spear; it all depends on the circumstances it is used under. Sure, it may not (usually - there were exceptions) have been a preferred battlefield weapon, but on the other hand, it was rather popular when it came to civilian self-defence. Doesn't require much space to be effective, deadly even at wrestling distance, comfortable to carry around, quick to draw etc. Wouldn't really want a halberd when getting into a fight in a tightly crowded pub...

As has been said, the lack of affection towards polearms seems to be a rather modern phenomenon. Vikings named their spears in a similar fashion as swords, the Chinese called the spear the "king of weapons", and quarterstaves really seem to have been rather liked in England, for example. Why these weapons don't get as much attention today as swords is a very interesting question indeed... My guess is that it has to do with the fact that swords lingered in the West somewhat longer than spears in the form of military sabres, smallswords and other such designs, and thus people find them somewhat more "familiar". Sorry for the very poor choice of words, but I didn't really find a better way of expressing it.

Rabbe
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with what many have said-- I'm particularly happy that Patrick said what he said-- I think an emphasis on the sword not being the primary weapon may be more unhelpful than helpful.

A few things to keep in mind:

1. It's all about using the best tool for the job. Different weapons are suited to different tasks. In many cultures throughout the ages, the javelin would be the first weapon put to work. After javelins, come swords. Both are equally important, but they fulfil different roles. Both are, in effect, "primary weapons".

The same could be said for other types of weapons: if you're charging the enemy lines, a lance is your best bet, (but then comes the sword). If you're trying to take down an opponent in plate, a mace may be more useful, and so on, but for most opponents, the sword does a “whiz of a job”. I think it would be a mistake to suggest that, in any of these instances, the sword became a "secondary weapon"—it’s just that certain weapons were used for certain jobs.

2. It's a matter of "who" is doing the fighting. While one might be safe in talking about the sword as one of the knights' principle weapons (and I think it was), this would not be true of the peasant militias. Status and wealth have always been a factor in sword ownership (as mentioned by others).

One could also look at the collective "who". If one were to survey a medieval battlefield one may very well describe the pike or longbow as the "primary" weapon-- but that wouldn't be the whole story.

3. It's also a matter of "when" and “where”. In the case of the Spartans the sword was very much a secondary weapon-- it was only put to use when the last spear had broken. I’d have no complaints if someone made this kind of statement in this context (and the same was likely true for many peoples), but it doesn’t seem right to generalise in this way for everywhere and for all times.

I’m not trying to elevate the sword far above all other weapons—I think it’s great that we’re being reminded that the spear, for example, had an equally important and prestigious role in European warfare. In fact, I would lean towards these being the two primary weapons throughout history (not ignoring the axe or bow). The sword would evolve one way, and the spear another (pikes/lances etc).

Sorry for being verbose,

David
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with David and would add that the sword is the most versatile weapon ever devised. As said above, if a weapon was required for a specific job then there would usually be a weapon better suited than the sword. Long shafted weapons are better for massed infantry formations, lances are better for cavalry charges, maces and axes are more effective against heavy armour, etc. But the sword can be used - although less effectively - in all of the above cases. If you could only carry one weapon to battle then the sword would be the best choice. If you needed a backup weapon after your main weapon broke then the sword would also be the best choice. For a "jack of all trades" nothing beats a decent sword.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: why         Reply with quote

Hi S
All the implements mentioned are well past their practical use-by date, so none of this really matters anymore. It is just a hobby, and most of those interested are more interested in swords. I'm surprised they bother to explain or justify their tastes to anyone else. I'm surprised I'm bothering to post this at all. Happy Christmas.
Geoff
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Geoff Wood wrote:

Quote:
Hi S
All the implements mentioned are well past their practical use-by date, so none of this really matters anymore. It is just a hobby, and most of those interested are more interested in swords. I'm surprised they bother to explain or justify their tastes to anyone else. I'm surprised I'm bothering to post this at all. Happy Christmas.
Geoff

Hi Geoff,

The irony is, I'm now trying to justify having responded Happy

I don't think anyone was trying to justify their interests, per se-- there are two angles to the question. Firstly, why does the sword "glitter" so? Secondly, from a historical point of view, how should the sword be understood in relation to other weapons (primary, secondary, or "other"?) I've found both of these issues interesting anyway...

David
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe that the mystique of the sword has to do with a few things. First, yes, there's the argument that Dr. Freud would make. But you could say the same about a spear. Seriously, a long wooden shaft used for thrusting... ahem. Anyway... A sword was also far more expensive and difficult to make than a spear, or arrows. That puts it into the realm of the aristocracy. Not everyone could afford a sword, in the same way that not everyone could afford a fine warhorse or a nice suit of armor. And we all know how much aristocrats love their status symbols.

But most importantly, the sword is a warrior's weapon. Most cultures can agree on that point. Spears and bows can be used for hunting, axes can cut down trees, flails were once used to separate grain and hammers were also used by carpenters. The sword, however, has no "civilian" use. It's purpose is fighting, plain and simple. Perhaps because of this, the sword more than any other weapon lends itself to mysticism, philosophical themes of spiritual strength and romantic hero quests in just about every culture that had them with the possible exceptions of the Romans and Native Americans. It isn't just Hollywood. Hero quest epics throughout history and the world over have all revered the sword. Hollywood just picks up on the validity of the archetype. Do you think you'd be as inspired if Luke Skywalker carried a lightcudgel? I didn't think so.

Some might also argue that the sword is the most difficult weapon to master, but I've always found archery to be just as challenging, and just as prone to mystical undertones, so I shy away from that theory.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to agree with Sam. I think that the biggest reason for the reverence that swords recieve is that they have no civilian purpose. Just as individuals who live for and making fighting wars there purpose, there is a mysric about weapons that are soley devoted to the fray.

I'm also highly inclined to say that Rabbe is right in his statement that the sword was popular (at least in part) because it was easy to carry around, and access quickly. Some, axe/mace/hammer-type weapons can be carried without too much trouble, but then you have the problem of protecting yourself (especially if you are not wearing armour) from the sharp and/or pointy parts, and still have easy access. It is kind of like hand guns today. A shotgun would be better for close range, a rifle better for long range, but both are more of a nuisance to carry, so handguns become the predominate form of protection.

Russ Ellis wrote:
No one beats their plowshares into spear heads...

I agree, but that statement is also a bit misleading. The statement about beating plowshares into swords comes from the Bible (I'm sorry, I do not remember the reference), as is, "beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruning hooks into spears." So there is actually a reference to spears in that famous line (it just gets left out most of the time).

Just my two cents on the matter.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you think you'd be as inspired if Luke Skywalker carried a lightcudgel? I didn't think so.

That's a good one. Laughing Out Loud

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > if swords weren't the primary weapon why so much focus?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: